Viper

What do you make of this?

Cut into B's brain to cure him of being him?

Don't think I'll be choosing that option this millenium, or next.

Ante-natal, he did score mega high for spina bifida in my blood tests. The doctor said, "Well, at least that usually eliminates Downs Syndrome."

Hi.I do not think that this sounds right based on what I know.People who have problems like those described are usually very medicaly unwell -ill enough to need urgent hospital treatment.The ideas described don't fit with the other well known literature about ASD.Karen.

I dont know if this info is reliable or not but I went all goosebumpy when I read it. There is spina bifida in my family, I have a mild form myself, & when pregnant with my daughter the AFP test came back positive. Ruined an otherwise problem free pregnancy as I refused an amnio as I wouldnt have aborted, so just had to live with the worry. She was born perfect. No one could explain the high levels.

So with JP I refused the test, & he was physically fine too.

I had no idea there MAY be a link between spina bifida & autism - but if true, may at last explain why the test came back positive all those years ago.

Hi,

I've not heard of this and I didn't find it easy to read either, however in the symptoms there were quite a few that would relate to my asd daughter but could also be a million other things as well.

Symptoms of Chiari that may be present;

Headaches including Migraine, Choking, Reflux, Vomiting, Vertigo, Dizziness, Neck pain or pressure, Coughing, Turned eyes, Numbness, Tingling, Seizures, Sleeping difficulties, Apnea, Rage, Head ridge.

Take care

Jb

:hypno: this is really weird, because when my girl was a tiny baby, she had a small dimple on the base of her spine just above her coxyix and I remember the doctor looking at it long and hard, and me asking him what he was looking for, and he said he was looking at this dimple thing ruling out spina bifida.

:hypno: this is really weird, because when my girl was a tiny baby, she had a small dimple on the base of her spine just above her coxyix and I remember the doctor looking at it long and hard, and me asking him what he was looking for, and he said he was looking at this dimple thing ruling out spina bifida.

mmm, thats what I've got. Had an x ray a few years back cos I'd had cancer & had back pain & they wanted to check it was nothing sinister, & thats when I was told I had spina bifida! My old mum was amazed! Its in the family though, my auntie lost several babies which had what I guess were neural tube defects, & I had 3 miscarriages so I'm assuming it was the same.

I also had another x ray further up my back a few years later (bra level) & they discovered another spina bifida spot. I no longer blame myself for never having been able to touch my toes.

Cut into B's brain to cure him of being him?

Don't think I'll be choosing that option this millenium, or next.

Ante-natal, he did score mega high for spina bifida in my blood tests. The doctor said, "Well, at least that usually eliminates Downs Syndrome."

wow how nice of the doc to say that.must have really put your mind at ease.

this seems a bit to me like quick find a reason for it and cash in.

WHOA!!!!!!

DS 2 has the dimple too.....this is getting spooky....

He's suspected of having spina bifida occulta due to his scoliosis(curvature of the spine) and other probs relating to his general 'twistiness :rolleyes:

He deffo has Aspie traits as does my eldest boy.We are trying to get an MRI for M arranged but as our GP is a total * :whistle: * we are still waiting but it would be weird if this did show up in him.Thanks for the link

Anyone else with dimples????

I am finding all this very interesting, to think theres AS and spina bifida in my family & they could be connected. Not that it helps or anything, just curious to know if its true.

Hi

ok, when OJ was born the midwife found a dimple just above his coccyx and told us it was spina bifida occulta. she said there was nothing to worry about but he may be susceptible to boils and ingrowing hair infections when hairy. My husband also has one!!

I never really investigated it after that but it is certainly interesting reading these threads.

Stella

Where are the postion of the dimples supposed to be? I don't know much about SB so will read up about it. J has always had 2 dimples, but either side of the base of his spine.

I think it could be a bit worrying if people read the bit about paralysis and death if nothing is done about it - so I do worry about this being linked to autism - think it could be unnecessarily worrying a lot of parents. I'm sure there have been members of my family who are/were ASD and managed to live a long life.

Edited by MichelleW

Hi Michelle DS2's dimple is about an inch above the normal two dimples and in line with the spine rather than on his tailbone.Please don't worry about the statement about paralysis etc this refers to untreated open spinabifida, which in this day and age thankfully rarely occurs, at least in the western world...

R's dimple is like a little hole which you can't see the bottom of he had it scanned and checked til he was 5 to see if it was tethered (attached to nerves etc) but was given the all clear...only to develop severe scoliosis at the age of 8 due to tethering!!!!!

Yup, my spine just looks a bit hollower than normal, would never have known but for x ray, all I can say is I'm not v supple but then I'm a lazy beggar anyway!

I don't think there is much to worry about. This is the first time I or any of you have ever heard about it so it probably isn't medically proven or we would have heard more. IYKWIM Sorry if posting it upset anyone in any way. I was just interested to see what you all thought of the theory.

Keggy managed to convince the moderators at the braintalk forums to ban me after openly making disparaging remarks the mods did nothing about and I simply responded as was natural. Turns out since that forum broke off from the university of Boston which hosted it, it had been going downhill anyway and became a haven for quacks.

Keggy had pretty solid evidence pointed out to her by Michelle Dawson that chiari was neither more or less common in Autistics, she's apparently ignored it and continues to chase false positives.