becci

camhs suck

ok we had an appointment today with camhs who have now decided aaron is odd,but not asd.we still havent had the report for his ados tests.

anyway whats really buggung me is that i told them the last week or so had been ok,thanks to the money jars and rules,and they said they think that we only need two more visits and then they will discharge him.oh i see because i sorted out some of the issues thasts it is it?he`s cured?i think not.from what i have learnt odd lasts forever not another two visits!so where do i go from here?they will not change their minds.however they have said if i feel i cannot cope they will let me have him re-referred!!!!!I AM SO MAD.i mean what about the anger managment they promised him?i cant restrain him now,what will it be like when he is 15?what about the counselling they offered him?the parental support?

so the moral of all this is dont tell them when things are going well at home,because in a puff of smoke they take everything away. :wallbash::crying::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Hi

I'm afraid I don't have a good word to say about CAMHS (I wonder if anyone does?). Hang in there and don't give up. Can you go back to your child's consultant?

Best wishes.

Caroline.

I can totally understand your anger and frustration my son was dx'd in Jan then promptly discharged they didn't even bother telling me or our doctors, my GP referred me back to them with a particular problem and they told us our case was closed. I was fumming, more so when the receptionist said he has aspergers you know and there is no cure !!!!!! managed to get back in when I let rip and told them to refer to his notes which stated if we were worried he was getting depressed to come straight back & I screamed I could not cope. But why oh why does it have to come to that. The best source of advice, support and understanding I get is on here on this forum....a real God send.

Sorry they have let you down but can only suggest you fight your corner.

Clare x x x

Hi Becci

Sorry but your story has completely mirrored my own experience. Infact I read out your thread to my husband and he thought I had written it!!!

We have been under CAMHS for about a year, originally for OJ but later for AJ. We needed 1-1 for AJ, being 14 and needing anger management. It never happened and he was signed off at a networking meeting where myself and the SENCO were telling her he was in isolation for poor behaviour and while we were in the meeting he was caught stealing magnesium from a science room. She said he had no mental health problems and that was it. We had our quota of NHS funds and are on our own now. How is that right?!!!!

Disgruntled

stella

I'm afraid I don't have a good word to say about CAMHS (I wonder if anyone does?).

Snap. The best they could come up with for us was the naughty chair (sigh). I told them I didn't want anything to do with them any more and have worked it all out for myself since then.

Karen

x

hi cmuir,the thing is we have never seen a consultant.our gp and school referred him to camhs and he has only been seeing a support worker.the last time we went he saw a social worker who told us it was normal behaviuor for a six year old boy to try and penetrate his four year old sister.!!!!!

the time before that when he was four he saw a consultant who diagnosed him with adhd as he was only sleeping for around 2 hours a night.there is no way aaron has adhd and we havew since had this confirmed.

so as you can understand its difficult to know where to go from here.

luckily for us we have the school intervention officer on board and lea.

Hi,

I hate to say it but I am sure it is all down to funding just like all other servicese and yes you seem to get a quoter once you have used up your lot thats it bye bye.

Well I am not sure about our CAMHs team yet it took ages to get to see some one, when my son got an appointment it was with nurses but they did seem quite on the ball, then they refered son to a mentel health OT that seems to know her stuff! Does help that my sister is an OT and can still remember her mental health good practice guide!!! It might have helped a littl that I told the CAMHS team guy's that I had written a detailed letter to paed. to be put on medical recordes that my son has a number of issues that I have not been able to deal with and that if I do not get any help with I would not expect to have any negative repercashens(sp) if my son hurt any one else in one of his rages! Might have helped not sure!!!

Anna

Hi I have to recommend that you request your GP refer your son for a proper ASD assessment and I know what you are going throw, ODD is a very negative diagnosis and nothing really comes with it in the reference of support or management and I have read a lot of information on the symptoms of ODD.

I have become quite confident that this is a misdiagnosis and it could actually be part of the Autistic Spectrum because the behaviour is a result of anxieties rising due to a task or a demand that causes the child destress and use behaviour to communicate and a tactics to aviod doing what is requested.

The symptoms are also similair to Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome.

J has been diagnosed with ODD since he was 7yrs old and in the time of 3 years he has recieved nothing at all specifically for this, the Anger Mangement was under his ADHD.

I hate the Word ODD and it has very judgemental insinuations to why a child may even have ODD, in between the lines it does mean that somewhere the parents have gone wrong in parenting and their own lifestyles are questionable, for example they may be alcoholics, committed crimes, and smoke!

I truely believe it is a cop out to help the child while they are young, nothing at all is offered and its not a criteria for support in any goverment service.

Get a second opionion and look into his behaviours more detailed.

JsMum