fiorelli

Help for siblings of those with ASD

I've just been in contact with The Carers Centre who have a young carers group. I believe its a youth group type of setup andI know that they take the kids on trips and even mini breaks. Unfortunately they won't be able to get in touch with me until after September as the youth leaders are very busy at this time of year - but I have heard very positve comments from othe parents about what a godsend it has been especially this time of the year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that dd1 will be accepted and that she will attend and enjoy the experiences.

Good luck

Tilly

i am having the same problem. My daughter is 14 and i also have a 6 year old, almost 7. it has been a nightmare trying to get any support for them or their brother who is 12 and has Aspergers Syndrome. i have tried a number of different sites but they do not seem appropriate for them. i am sure there are other people out there who are having the same problems. In my area, there is a support group for children and their siblings. this is, however, quite a distance from where i live and i cannot make the meetings. i am thinking of setting up some kind of support group in my town, but don't know how to go about it. i feel that there is the problem all across the country, that children are given a diagnosis and then the families, including the child and their siblings are supposed to just get on with it! If you find any where that is useful, i would reaaly appreciate it if you could let me know. Likewise, if i find any info, i will put on another post.

Our local Barnardos project ran a siblings group, I'm talking about 10 years ago so dont know if they still do. S loved it, the children there had siblings with varying disabilities and she said she always felt like no one was judging her, unlike the outside world where she'd sometimes get criticised if she had a little moan.

i am having the same problem. My daughter is 14 and i also have a 6 year old, almost 7. it has been a nightmare trying to get any support for them or their brother who is 12 and has Aspergers Syndrome. i have tried a number of different sites but they do not seem appropriate for them. i am sure there are other people out there who are having the same problems. In my area, there is a support group for children and their siblings. this is, however, quite a distance from where i live and i cannot make the meetings. i am thinking of setting up some kind of support group in my town, but don't know how to go about it. i feel that there is the problem all across the country, that children are given a diagnosis and then the families, including the child and their siblings are supposed to just get on with it! If you find any where that is useful, i would reaaly appreciate it if you could let me know. Likewise, if i find any info, i will put on another post.

I totally agree! Our son (HFA 14) was diagnosed a year ago and since then...we have been given nothing! No advice, no support, no help. :wallbash: We too were left to get on with it. I found a local support group in our area to which I took my son but he hovered in a corner the whole time we were there (with DH hovering with him). Chances are we will not get him there again. Sorry to say that I have no answers - only moral support and understanding, and being in the same boat!

ddh

Have you tried contacting the peeps at www.sibs.org.uk - they may organise groups, or failing that they have the info on their site as to how to set up a group!

Other than that, I haven't seen anything even remotely similar. It really is an area that lacks support. :(

Nikki.

Jessica goes to young careers events in Staffordshire. She has been with them about 18 months now, after being originally refered by SS (the only good thing they have managed to do for us).

She really enjoys it. I think she likes being with other children that understand the pressures she is under (she not only has to deal with Luke and his ADHD/ AS but Dad is also disabled - so she does take on more that your average 11 year old) They do arrange a lot for the kids - she was out 1 day last week, 2 this week and she is going pony treking next month - in fact she is not home enough to do any caring at the moment :rolleyes: Everything is paid for, and she is always picked up from home and then dropped off again after, so there is no extra pressure on us to have to get her to somewhere. I would recommend it to anyone.

I think the Princess Royal Trust for Carers sometimes run groups for young carars not sure about for siblings.

Louise