pearl

Meeting with JP's apprenticeship officer tomorrow

We are about as ready as we can be. I've emailed her the guide Dave & I wrote about how AS affects Jack, & we have our list of questions ready (mostly practical stuff like, will he have a locker!)

She is starting him off in the legal department & will be introducing him to his new colleagues.

Nothing seems to faze her, so we are keeping everything crossed it goes well. :pray:

Good luck - hope it goes well :pray: :pray: I always find an agenda really useful to structure any meeting and it will help them see that things they might think trivial (like the locker) are not at all trivial to JP. My supervisor and tutor are meeting my mentor tomorrow to, erm, 'sort her out' :fight: :fight: :lol: so it's obviously a meetingy day tomorrow.

Good luck - hope it goes well :pray: :pray: I always find an agenda really useful to structure any meeting and it will help them see that things they might think trivial (like the locker) are not at all trivial to JP. My supervisor and tutor are meeting my mentor tomorrow to, erm, 'sort her out' :fight: :fight: :lol: so it's obviously a meetingy day tomorrow.

Can I come too?

Can I bring my specially sharpened screwdriver for poking the complacent and ignorant?

Pleeeeease?

Good Luck to JP and Mumble...

Pearl sounds as though JP has found a good officier who will sort out everything for you.

Mumble hope 'your' side wins and your 'lovely' mentor is put in her place ....not sure where her place would be - Outer Siberia maybe ?

Louise

:dance:

It went well!

Spent the 1st part of the morning with A, JP's apprenticeship training officer. She went through the induction programme to check he understood everything, we asked about the team task & she said they'd be split into pairs to find out about each other & feed back to the group. JP had already done this for his christmas job so no problem. Just told him, if you get a girl, dont ask her what she weighs! :lol:

We got to ask all our important little questions about lockers & kitchens etc, then she brought in N, his supervisor & K, her line manager. They told us about the legal department where he'll be working, & what kind of jobs theyll be starting him off on. Theyve allocated him a buddy, a 2nd year apprentice, to show him the ropes. He's younger than Jack but v mature & nice.

Then off they went to show him round the office. I stayed behind to protect his street cred, and A came back for another chat. She asked about disclosing to the other apprentices, so I was quite glad to talk freely without JP there, & said without knowing the young peeps I would be concerned the information could be used against him, & to talk to him about it. She had thought that it might be good for him to disclose during the info gathering team task - err, no, don't think so, its a very personal thing to disclose on your 1st meeting with someone. It gave her some food for thought as I don't think she'd considered the possible negative aspects of disclosure.

Then JP & the others came back (I could hear them laughing all the way down the corridor) He had of course managed to find out who had passed their driving test & how many times they had taken it! :notworthy:

Its quite a formal department so he'll be wearing his suit & tie every day. *note to self - buy more ties*

So really, it couldn't have gone any better. Everyone we met was really nice, & hopefully its put their minds at rest as well as ours. JP was very happy & relieved, & v flexible too, he told me his desk was in the middle of the office & would have preferred to be against a wall, "but I didn't want to be difficult" bless. I told him last in usually gets the worst spot & he'd probably be able to move at some point.

He starts a week on tuesday. :pray:

That's great Pearl. It is nice to know there are some OK people in the world. Hopefully you and JP can sort out what to do about disclosure in a positive way.

Pearl,

Wow, It sounds as though it went like a dream!

And JP seems pretty flexible, he will be fine!

I am really excited and can't wait to hear all his news, maybe he could come on here and do a work diary!! (remember choccy the call stacker on bbgf!) :lol:

Lisa xxxx

Haha, how could I forget? Must admit it had crossed my mind, I'll ask him, if not I'll post on his behalf! Will try to make it a LITTLE more entertaining! :lol:

That's such great news pearl, you sound really upbeat. :)

I look forward to hearing how he gets on,

K x

Oh I'm getting excited for you - how long is this placement for? Lovely to hear that he seem to be intergrating so well. :thumbs:

Louise

Its a 2 year apprenticeship Louise, and he'll be moving to a different department every 6 months. He can apply for permanent jobs as they come up. The place seems full of former apprentices, city council seems to be one of the best employers for this.

Just 10 days to go.... :o

This could be him set for life then .... especially if they are really as friendly as they seem initally.

Is he being counted as 'disabled'?

My BiL has a history of mental instability - he tends to be fine for years at a time ..... he ended up in the NHS on a 'disability' card because big organisations have to have a minimum % of their workforce classified as 'disabled' so they love to have someone who works hard with minimum adaptations but still ups their disability rate.

Or is it me just being cynical??

Louise

Hopefully, yes it will set him up for life Louise, even if theres no permanent job at the end the grounding he'll get will enable him to apply for all sorts of stuff. Just hope nothing goes wrong.

As for the disabled thing, the apprenticeship officer has said that he got the job entirely on his own merit. I dont think theyd have employed him to up their statistics if there was someone better suited to the job. He had time adjustments made at the testing stage & had a separate room, otherwise was treated the same as anyone else. I've since found out that she has a friend whose son has AS, so maybe it holds no fears for her.

Sorry ....I didn't mean to imply he didn't get it on his own merits :oops: but that it may push him up the ladder for the final step when permanent job offered if it's a choice between him and someone else and there is nothing much between them.

Louise

And once they find out that he likes organising cupboards instead of wild drunken antics in the office, they'll be even more aware of what a find he is.

And once they find out that he likes organising cupboards instead of wild drunken antics in the office, they'll be even more aware of what a find he is.

:lol: Eggzackly! I made sure there were more positives than negatives on the guide I did, want them to realise that its as much a gift as a curse. There will be no photocopying of bums when JP is around!

Its OK Louise I knew what you meant >:D<<'>