KarenT

J's summer scheme

I've been really anxious about J's summer scheme this year, his first in the 8-14 year olds group. Socially he's gone back quite a way in the past few months as a result of bullying issues not being addressed in school - he's been more stressed and finding it harder to relate to people when it's not on his terms, so naturally I was very concerned about the scheme this year and I didn't think he'd cope for longer than the first morning.

I'd spoken to the scheme organiser a few weeks ago and she gave me the impression that it was very well run. The scheme asks for a detailed information form to be completed so that the workers at each venue have adequate information about each child with SN - I'm not kidding when I say it was like a mini DLA form. Staff then have two weeks training in SNs so that they can be prepared with enough background knowledge to work with the children in their care. It sounded great but I wanted to see it for myself before I believed it to be true (I'm sure I'm not alone in this).

This morning J was very twitchy when I took him to the venue, a large secondary school. He was quite anxious despite being on the programme with two older boys (one with AS) who he knows well and gets on reasonably well with. Staff were fab, talked to me for about 15 mins at registration to put my mind at ease, allocated J a 1-1 (who turned out to be his regular swimming instructor, so he felt very comfortable with her). She took him around the building and showed him where everything was. There's a sensory room for him to have time-out if he wants, but they said they'd time-limit it so he wouldn't miss out on activities. I was so impressed by their calm and sensible attitude and it really put my mind at rest.

I'd expected that the phone would ring by mid morning but it didn't go at all. When I collected J at 3.30 this afternoon he'd had a fantastic time, been to the park and played football, made a model out of junk and can't wait to go back tomorrow. I'm absolutely thrilled. I even got five minutes of feedback from the 1-1 and a diary for J to fill in about what he's liked and disliked, if he feels the need. They've also written out a timetable for him to keep in his bag.

Afterwards we took him to the park for an ice cream (he was miffed that he wasn't able to get one when he went there with the group this afternoon) and he never stopped talking about his day for a full half hour. He's taking his swimming cozzie tomorrow in case it's his turn to go swimming, he just can't wait. I asked him if there was anything he didn't like and he couldn't think of anything! All in all, a success. Hope the rest of the week goes as well.

Karen

x

Karen that is fantastic!!!!! It sounds like it is a really well run scheme and they have put a lot of thought and effort into accomodating J's needs. I wish all places were like that - wouldn't it make all our lives a lot easier??!!!!

At least you know that he is going to be ok and enjoy himself now.

Tommorrow you can relax and chill without any of the worry!

Enjoy your 'me' time!!

Sue x >:D<<'>

Wow Karen that sounds great.

I wasn't impressed by ours (as you know the same scheme but a younger group) they didn't know G had Autism and no feedback whatsoever. The promised 1-2-1 never made themselves known, if in fact there was one.

Having said that he stayed the course which was a biggie in itself!

It sounds like that is what they should all be like :notworthy: brilliant :notworthy:

Hi karen, how amazing and wonderful! I didn't know schemes like that existed. Don't know if I'm allowed to ask, but which area are you in?

Hope the success story continues :thumbs:

Sarah

Did you mean which area of Gateshead?

Karen, your playscheme seems like a model that should be much more widely available. It needs to spread,especially to Sussex!

Edited by Bard

J had to have a day off yesterday because of a blip on Tuesday. He'd gone swimming in the afternoon with about 12 other kids and had a bit of an altercation with one of them in the minibus coming back, which was enough to unsettle him to the point of not being sure if he could manage on Weds. I'd stated on the info pack that J would benefit from leaving the pool before everyone else, but the support staff had asked him if he wanted to leave instead of just taking him out - to be honest I can't really blame them for that because to an outsider he'd look like he was just having a good time, whereas to those of us in the know that excitement is a sign he's getting closer to losing control. That would have been exacerbated by getting changed with the rest of the group, so he'd be less likely to cope with normal banter on the minibus. Apparently one boy was 'irritating' J and he'd lashed out at him, the usual stuff.

I managed to persuade him that he'd benefit from a day off to help himself settle - I wanted to make it his decision (to aid his self-management) rather than mine as he wouldn't then be able to blame me for spoiling his fun (regardless of the fact that he wouldn't have had much fun if he'd gone in such a state anyway). He calmed down a lot yesterday and was able to go back this morning, relaxed and ready. From what I've picked up, it seems he'd had such a good day on Monday that he'd expected himself to be able to cope without the support, ie quiet room, 1-1 etc so hadn't used them on Tuesday. I've reminded him to use the quiet room between activities before he feels the need rather than waiting till he's anxious, but I don't know if he'll manage. I've told the 1-1 this morning to make sure he gets time there. Better to prevent outbursts than try to put them right afterwards.

Mind you, I can't fault the staff. There were three of them waiting this morning when I went in, the organiser for that venue, his 1-1 and the worker who was on the bus at the swimming trip, all giving their input and asking what else they could do today to make it work for J. He'll have a member of staff sitting with him on the bus if he goes out again, and they'll keep a close eye on him and the boy who was 'annoying' him in case J feels the need for revenge. I'm still pretty pleased with the scheme - after all it would be almost impossible for a child as complex as J to get through the whole week without at least one incident, so I think it's going pretty well on the whole (and the phone still hasn't rung!).

Thanks for your comments. If nobody has any objections I'd like to pass them on to the scheme organisers so that they know how theirs compares with what's available in other parts of the country. I know this one isn't perfect but compared to what other people have it's excellent. And all for �25 a week, too!

jlp, really glad G managed the week, with or without the support he should have had. I know there was some doubt as to whether he'd manage or not, or even get there. Hope the holiday is going OK for you generally, I'll be in touch!

Karen

x