Bagpuss

Well, theres a first time for everything

and today I got my first flat tyre :rolleyes: I offered our elderly neighbours a lift back from town, after bumping into them (youngest dd literally)...and thought I must be in the wrong gear :oops: We chugged along up the road, with the car vibrating and shaking :unsure: I finally realised there was something wrong, way after everyone else, and pulled over. My neighbour said it was the weight of his wife in the back that had done it :lol: , and she admitted she knew something was wrong, but didn't have the heart to say anything, bless her. He asked if I had a spare tyre, and I had to admit I didn't know, where would it be anyway??!! I know where the petrol goes, what more do I need to know.....sooooo.......rang dh, who was at work, very busy, and isn't in the best of moods with me since I've been winding him up being Stepford wife. I said "I've got a flat tyre, what do I do?"...he says "Change it"....I says "Yes, I know that, but what do I do? Can I call breakdown peeps out? Do we have a tyre? Is it stored at home somewhere?"Flap, flap, flap....................so, he manages to get some time off from work and drives over, while our neighbours set off for a hike to the next bus stop :whistle: DH arrives..... I couldn't believe it when he went in the boot, lifted the carpetty thing up, and there was a wheel, etc etc.................never knew they were there :lol::lol: Anyhow, he got the wheel changed, while I looked on in wonder, youngest dd kept saying "daddy is sooooo powerful"......and to show my gratitude I offered him some wet wipes for his hands and a fudge donut :D

Made me think tho, I should really learn to do things like that. I'm totally hopeless. When I sold my first ever car, a gorgeous little red mini, my mum asked when it was last MOT'd for the advert..................can you believe I didn't know they had to be MOT'd yearly, and thought it was a one off :o:oops::lol: Luckily mine hadn't run out :rolleyes:

Edited by Bagpuss

I don't know how to change a wheel either. I had an accident once and a man stopped and changed it for me! Now I have breakdown cover that includes changing the wheel.

I know where to put the water for the window squirters though!

I know where the water goes, where the tyre is (couldn't change one though) and even how to check the oil now (though what I would do if it was below the minimum level I don't know!) but my dad still pays for my AA road cover because he insists on me having the most comprehensive one and I could never afford it :lol:

It's not my dad being over-protective or splashing the cash for his 'little girl' either. It all stems from when I borrowed my mum's car to go to the Leeds Carling music festival with my ex. Why on earth I thought going to stay in a field with however many thousand people was a good idea I don't know, but I was undiagnosed then and into bands big time. I hated it of course, was claustrophobic when people set their tents up virtually touching ours, slept in the car both nights and spent most of the festival having panic attacks, fretting about using the toilets and getting annoyed at all the noise :lol::wacko: It rained and all the fields turned into big mud slides so my mum's car sat there for two days getting cold and damp and covered in mud. Driving it back down the motorway at some stupid mile an hour (I wanted to be as far away from the smelly horrible people as possible) I noticed a rather strange noise coming from the engine. My ex was fast asleep so I pulled off at the next services, parked up and grabbed my phone. I then rang my dad, at like 2.00am, and said 'listen to this, what's wrong with the car?' and held the phone over the bonnet of the car. First he was angry, then he laughed so much I thought he might hyper-ventalilate, then he got onto the AA. Turned out nothing was wrong and the car just needed a good run after sitting in a cold field for two days.

The next time the AA got in touch to renew my membership my dad took over :oops: but at least he knows that I'm safe now and at least I know that I have a phone number to ring whenever my car makes funny noises :lol:

Emily

xxx

I then rang my dad, at like 2.00am, and said 'listen to this, what's wrong with the car?' and held the phone over the bonnet of the car. First he was angry, then he laughed so much I thought he might hyper-ventalilate, then he got onto the AA.

The next time the AA got in touch to renew my membership my dad took over :oops: but at least he knows that I'm safe now and at least I know that I have a phone number to ring whenever my car makes funny noises :lol:

Emily

xxx

And the phone number is not your dad at 2am! He probably thought it was worth the money.

You really made me giggle. :lol:

Your dad sounds very like mine, and as my OH doesn't drive, or understand cars, dad is still my first port of call ( I do belong to Direct Line as well, for those 2am moments!).

My new car has a special noise that it makes when you get out and have left the lights on. This is good and necessary.

My dad bought me my own set of jumpleads for Christmas 05, wrapped up in tinsel. Sadly, he has used them 4 times since :oops:

Children are yours for life.

I know where the water goes, where the tyre is (couldn't change one though) and even how to check the oil now (though what I would do if it was below the minimum level I don't know!) but my dad still pays for my AA road cover because he insists on me having the most comprehensive one and I could never afford it :lol:

It's not my dad being over-protective or splashing the cash for his 'little girl' either. It all stems from when I borrowed my mum's car to go to the Leeds Carling music festival with my ex. Why on earth I thought going to stay in a field with however many thousand people was a good idea I don't know, but I was undiagnosed then and into bands big time. I hated it of course, was claustrophobic when people set their tents up virtually touching ours, slept in the car both nights and spent most of the festival having panic attacks, fretting about using the toilets and getting annoyed at all the noise :lol::wacko: It rained and all the fields turned into big mud slides so my mum's car sat there for two days getting cold and damp and covered in mud. Driving it back down the motorway at some stupid mile an hour (I wanted to be as far away from the smelly horrible people as possible) I noticed a rather strange noise coming from the engine. My ex was fast asleep so I pulled off at the next services, parked up and grabbed my phone. I then rang my dad, at like 2.00am, and said 'listen to this, what's wrong with the car?' and held the phone over the bonnet of the car. First he was angry, then he laughed so much I thought he might hyper-ventalilate, then he got onto the AA. Turned out nothing was wrong and the car just needed a good run after sitting in a cold field for two days.

Emily

xxx

That made me laugh too Emily :notworthy::notworthy: Reminded me of DH and I first Xmas together, as a married couple, and an emergency phone call to his dad on Xmas Day "The turkey smells funny, what is turkey supposed to smell like when you cook it?" :lol:

and today I got my first flat tyre

He asked if I had a spare tyre, and I had to admit I didn't know, where would it be anyway??!! I know where the petrol goes, what more do I need to know.....sooooo.......rang dh, who was at work, and isn't in the best of moods with me since I've been winding him up being Stepford wife. I said "I've got a flat tyre, what do I do?"...he says "Change it"....I says "Yes, I know that, but what do I do? Can I call breakdown peeps out? Do we have a tyre? Is it stored at home somewhere?"Flap, flap, flap....................so, he manages to get some time off from work and drove over, while our neighbours set off for a hike to the next bus stop :whistle: DH arrives..... I couldn't believe it when he went in the boot, lifted the carpetty thing up, and there was a wheel, clamp, etc etc.................never knew they were there :lol::lol: Anyhow, he got the wheel changed, while I looked on in wonder, youngest dd kept saying "daddy is sooooo powerful"......and to show my gratitude I offered him some wet wipes for his hands and fudge donut

:lol: :lol: :lol: oh sorry, but I needed a laugh :lol: :lol: :lol::wub: sorry, :D it reminded me of the first time I tried to change my tyre on my 4WD Nissan Patrol, the wheel was almost as tall as me, and VERY heavy.

I jacked up the car then tried to undo the bolts. I put all my body weight on the wrench, sat on it, stood on it, no way was it going to budge. Luckily, my car was at home on the driveway, a huge nail had pierced the tyre. Luckily my friend was home neighbours; she got her hubby to come and help. Well, he cracked up laughing when he noticed the car airborne, to his amusement asked me to show him what I was doing, broke up laughing, quickly released the jack and rested the car on the ground, and said try again, :lol: first go it started to unscrew. :D -BUT when it came to taking the tyre off and putting on the spare they are SO heavy - definitely not a task for the average female. Trying to pull the spare off the back hinge a definite no no.

These days I just drive to the closest petrol station, its certainly a man's job, one I refuse to do. :)

F :D

Edited by Frangipani

I forgot to add..........when youngest dd 6 ASD asked me what was wrong with the wheel, while we were waiting for dh, I replied "it's as flat as a pancake J"............eldest dd, 9 AS, replied "it looks nothing like a pancake"..............I'll never learn will I :lol:

I know the spare wheel hides under the carpet in the boot ... but thats all I know.

Mr pearl does the basics, if he shuffles this mortal coil before I do I will learn then, but like Homer says, "all this new stuff is pushing the old stuff out of my head" my storage capacity is full!

Call myself a feminist... :rolleyes:

My final argument is that at 7 stone I cant even lift the tyre, never mind change it! :lol:

i know where my spare wheel is but couldnt change it. My oil light came on a few weeks ago so i pulled into the garage had to ask which oil to buy then ask a man if he could put the oil in i didnt even know how to pop the bonnet :lol::lol: Still men like to feel needed so i was making him feel better!!!!