taggingalong

social services

hi i was told today that if i went through a social worker a diagnosis could be got quicker. does anybody know if there is any truth in this. i dont have a social worker but would like a bit of advice. is this a good idea to have one. it was someone from the carers centre that told me this. my son has learning difficulties and i am near certain aspergers or somewhere in the spectrum. any replys would be welcome.

if i went through a social worker a diagnosis could be got quicker
I found no truth in this.

I found out the name of the paediatrician and phoned weekly myself asking for a cancellation for my son to be diagnosed. During this time a social worker called at the house done a lot of paper work asked a lot of questions and said she would arrange for my son to be seen by a paediatrician. It took me 3 to 4 months to get him an appointment and the social workers help took 1 1/2 year's for an appointment. I was glad i was pushy and didn't wait for her help.

Maybe your area is different good luck!

Although I'm a teacher, and my son was in the same school. it was quicker for me to get a referral to CAMHS through the GP than through the school, despite them being fully supportive. It took about 4-6 weeks.

Don't know about social workers.

Have no personal experience.

But I doubt the involvement of SW will speed up things or even help- I believe it may add up more paper work and bureaucracy

Try to speak to your GP as well as the educational psychologist.

Good luck.

hi thanks for all your advice. i was at the gp the day previous to getting this information. she didnt know much on the subject but she will be chasing people up like educational physchologist etc to see if things can get moved on. i just thought that whatever it took to get things moved on would be to my advantage. i will keep you all posted and let you know how i get on thanks for all your help.

In our area the Ed Psych are likely to try and undermine thediagnosis. Moreover they are not competent to dx usually. Do chase up the paediatrician or Cahms about the appoitment. Good luck

As a social work student - I can't see how ss could speed up a diagnosis. When I went to the GP regarding my son, she didn't have any knowledge but was willing to refer, and asked me to find out the best person in our area to refer to as she didn't know, I found this out by phoning the National Autistic Society. we waited about 6 months to be seen, and the diagnosis process took about 18 months.

good luck.

juney

thanks for all your replys. it was a lady from the carers centre that gave me this "advice" I really didnt want to get them involved i just thought she seemed to know her business and was full of other good information as well. like applying for dla. buraries etc. that side of it can be put on hold until i find out exactly what my sons problems are. its so frustrating as you all know

Good luck with getting the full diagnoses. Keep going until everything is on paper, the more things diagnosed from the start the better the support will be, with all the cut backs lately fewer kids are being fully diagnosed and they are missing out on the proper support in school and therapy from the child development units. The earlier the help starts the better. Collect as many names and phone numbers along the way. Then you can deal directly with them and keep a record of things so that they are followed through.