David Matthew Baker

Lindisfarne Pictures

Here is the link for the Lindisfarne pictures I took.

(As with the Kenyan ones I previously uploaded I'm posting the link through to them before all the pictures are up. That way I can go to bed and leave this PC on and uploading.)

I hope you enjoy them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13723949@N07/

Lovely pics David...arn't wicker coffins supposed to be environmentally friendly.......or am i thinking about cardboard ones...........mebbee's not.....a suppose a cardboard coffin would be a worry in the rain :unsure:

Ignore me....gone abit :wacko: today.........

It's cardboard ones that are advertised as environmentally friendly - I always said I wanted one of those and to be buried in a bluebell wood or on a cliff top over looking the sea. I have an irrational fear of cremation. However, I found out recently that even the cardboard ones have to be lined - with plastic (something about keeping the 'juices' in :sick:) so perhaps not quite so environmentally friendly afterall. :(

There was a sponsered walk to Lindisfarne the day we were visiting (mum had some friends taking part hence why we went up there - would have joined them for the walk across the pilgrims way if we'd been earlier - thats the route across the sand). The walk was as part of an effort to raise money to get a bronze cast made of a wooden carving by Fenwick Lawson of the monks carrying St Cuthberts coffin to be situated in Durham. St Cuthbert used to live on Lindisfarne and the modern day community of monks suggested they carry a wicker coffin across in memory of the past events. (As a point of interest they really were going the wrong way as they carried it on instead of off. Originally St Cuthberts body was moved to stop it getting disturbed by the Vikings. They travelled around a lot of the North East. Eventually they placed the Coffin down at the Present site of the Cathedral and couldn't pick it back up. Hence they built a chapel there. Later that was replaced with the cathedral you see today.)

Here is a picture of the carving they want to make a cast of: http://www.fenwicklawson.co.uk/journey-img.htm

The website for the casting is here: http://www.saintcuthbertsjourney.org.uk/ (Again with more images.)

It's cardboard ones that are advertised as environmentally friendly - I always said I wanted one of those and to be buried in a bluebell wood or on a cliff top over looking the sea. I have an irrational fear of cremation. However, I found out recently that even the cardboard ones have to be lined - with plastic (something about keeping the 'juices' in :sick:) so perhaps not quite so environmentally friendly afterall. :(

Eeew.... juices.....

put me right of me jaffa cakes :sick:

It would have to be a very stable bit of coastline Mumble or you'd go sliding down the cliff during the first storm :lol:

Eeew.... juices.....

put me right of me jaffa cakes :sick:

Most sorry. Just don't go putting the ones you don't eat in the boot else you may by 'shot' be them and need that comfy wicker coffin after all.

It would have to be a very stable bit of coastline Mumble or you'd go sliding down the cliff during the first storm :lol:

Well I did contemplate being burried at sea though I have a fear of drowning and was worried about being put away before I was ready to go - I'm having a doorbell in my coffin so I can let people on the outside know they've been a bit eager :lol:

Most sorry. Just don't go putting the ones you don't eat in the boot else you may by 'shot' be them and need that comfy wicker coffin after all.

Well I did contemplate being burried at sea though I have a fear of drowning and was worried about being put away before I was ready to go - I'm having a doorbell in my coffin so I can let people on the outside know they've been a bit eager :lol:

Nah thats no good, a doorbell is to let someone know you're OUTSIDE, not inside. You'd open your coffin door, & it'd be a bliddy double glazing salesman! :lol:

Nah thats no good, a doorbell is to let someone know you're OUTSIDE, not inside. You'd open your coffin door, & it'd be a bliddy double glazing salesman! :lol:

Well if I could open the door that wouldn't be a problem - trust me if I was buried alive I'd be very happy if a double glazing salesman came knocking (and they probably would - failing to notice that I had no windows). I did think about being buried with a phone but a)I remembered I don't do phones and b)knowing my luck the battery would be flat or I would be out of credit.

I don't know - I have a serious concern and you make light of it by introducing double-glazing sales men :huh::P

Hmm, I'll have to think this "I'm not quite ready for the afterlife alert" plan through a little more . . .

*thinks*

a small flagpole to raise in emergencies?

a rocket?

a very long megaphone?

Perhaps they could train those dead body dogs to do the opposite - send em into a cemetary & when they scratch at a fresh grave, dig up (un)deceased pronto.

Edited by pearl

Did I mention that anthropology is also a sideline of mine?

What you want, Mumble is...A SKY BURIAL!

We build a nice, comfy, high platform, with an excellent view.

Overlooking the sea perhaps.

We wrap you up warmly in a buffalo hide robe, surround you with some of your favourite items and a nice meal, and leave you alone.

If you change your mind about being dead, just climb down. We'll leave the ladder up.

Who are you calling simple?

I'm not obsessed with a certain man who likes digging things up. Sometimes the answer isn't a hole with a body in it. Alive or dead!

I bet B would help me build a platform, he'd find it interesting. Although he'd keep coming back to check on her. Well, he did with the first guinea pig that he had. :sick:

Edited by Bard

Now that's an idea I like Bard. I always wondered how I was going to see the views wherever I was buried. I've never been much into worm farms.

Do I have to come down if I discover I'm not dead? It sounds rather cosy. And if B's coming to check on me reguarly he could bring a hot meal, a mug of tea and some choccy with him on each visit. It'll just be like living in a tree house with room service :lol:

And Pearl - don't worry about your obsession with Mole-Man - the more people who obsess about other people the less people I have to fight off to get Lee to myself :wub:

Oh you can keep Lee Mumble

Did you hear that Lisa? I can keep Lee - all mine!!! :wub: :wub:

Surely this thread qualifies for 'thread developing at most of a tangent to original post' by now!! :unsure::lol:

Pearl.....what r u doing??? :rolleyes: now Mumbles never gonna give im over to me when I'm in need :)

Like NOW.....Missy Mumble :pray: I could use a distraction....just 10 min's will do..can't spare any longer :)

Well I don't have him locked up anywhere.... sorry, does that put distracting thoughts in your heads.. :lol: Feel free to have a catfight over him.

I seem to have Tony all to myself, althought there is a worryingly stalkery obsessed fan over on the Time Team forum who keeps getting her posts deleted :ph34r:

Well there's 10 minutes left for the deadline for 'Lee' to turn up at my door and still no sign . . . If he's not here because he's at yours could you kindly send him over pronto before a very rude email gets sent in the direction of a certain 'Ms Witch Features'. :devil:

What....and miss the chance of your DW getting a rotten awful really really bad email??...ermmmm NO :devil:

I've had a bad morning and your Disability witch needs a huge kick up the bum...and i'm feeling totally non generous :) - you can have him as soon as you've sent your mail :devil:>:D<<'>

On a serious note....if those bods don't turn up soon she really does need a huge kick via email!

Did you hear that Lisa? I can keep Lee - all mine!!! :wub: :wub:

Surely this thread qualifies for 'thread developing at most of a tangent to original post' by now!! :unsure::lol:

Our sincere apologies for hijacking your thread David >:D<<'>

I really enjoyed the photos, we loved our day out there.

Pity you didnt get a car up to its axle in the North Sea :lol:

Carefully checked the tide times once on the island. Had about 10 minutes to spare but it takes a while to cover it after that. Just comes in really quick when it does. As for changing the direction of a thread I don't mind. I like jumping at random tangents when talking (at times anyway). Just wondering where we're off to next. :):P

Moths can sometimes be found in something that hasn't been used for a long time. Hence Pearl is suggesting her purse has been empty for a while. It is a play along the lines of mothballed.

"Mothballs are small balls of chemical pesticide and deodorant used when storing clothing and other articles susceptible to damage from mold or moth larvae.

Their use when clothing is stored out-of-season gave rise to the colloquial usage of the terms mothballed and put into mothballs to refer to anything which is put into storage or whose operation is suspended."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothball

If there's a vacuum they wouldn't be able to exist. But I doubt you could actually create a vacuum in a purse as the fabric is probably porous.

Aha - so the moths moved in because the money moved out - now I'm sure there was a science experiment at primary school involving moth balls where they jumped up and down in some type of liquid :unsure:

Aha - so the moths moved in because the money moved out - now I'm sure there was a science experiment at primary school involving moth balls where they jumped up and down in some type of liquid :unsure:

Thats cruelty to moth balls :lol:

*tuts loudly to self*

Well some of us have work to do this evening . . .

And some of us have online shopping to do. I'd forgotten about my credit card :lol:

I think we call it swimming...

Were they really mothballs, or lumps that grump? How could you tell?

And aren't mothballs entitled to some form of exercise if you are going to keep them cooped up for months in confined spaces?

*begins to freak out thinking she knew what moth balls were and goes off to check - hah - I was right*

Moth balls are not alive, they don't have feelings or emotions and are about keeping moths away not made from in in any way associated with live moths. Therefore it is perfectly permisable to use them in science experiments or anything else for that matter.

As for telling the difference between mothballs and lumps that grump, there's a slight size difference. I may be really ###### at recognising people and I may walk straight past people I'm supposed to know but it's as much a problem for me and as infuriating to me, as it is to others. It's not a decision I make. Now as far as I remember, mothballs look a bit like ping pong balls. People do not look like ping pong balls to me. They look like potatoes with hair styles.