Sign in to follow this  
stressedmumto2

Sensory rooms

Hi, I know a while ago there were some posts about sensory room's so was just wanting to ask for those of you who have done sensory rooms have they been really usefull?

I am toying with the idea of trying to do one, only prob I don't have a spare room...ideas are coming into my head of making the loft into a bedroom so one of the bedrooms can become a sensory room or moving my bed into my son's room, which will mean all bedroom furniture will still need to stay in my room as there is no room in his for it to go.or putiing it in loft which could be hassle!! perhaps even making my big bedroom which would become his into part bedroom and part sensory room, with the idea of perhaps using a safe space room http://www.safespaces.co.uk/index.html.

I just don't know if it's worth all the hassle and trying to get funding for it if he didn't use it.

He frequently trashes the house and all the time his sister is being put at risk. S.S have said they can see it as being important if we had another room and will write supporting letters etc (but I must say I have listened to them say they will support before and haven't followed through so tbh I do not think they will do now).

I have looked et exchanging to a bigger property but can't find anything suitable. I am at a loss do I save cash, try to get funding etc for something that he may not even use. He's 9 by the way.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome please >:D<<'>

He has his own bedroom? Why not just use that? You are quite artistic so im sure you can come up with some ideas. I dont think you will get an exchange, unless you are really lucky and someone just wants out of a 4 bed, but I cant see the LA housing 3 people in a 4 bed, they would not consider us even and there is 5 of us, as you know we dropped lucky and got an exchange but thats rare. Ive looked into funding for a sensory room, but ended up paying for things myself. If you go to Ikea they have some good ideas for sensory stuff and its not that expensive, like the swing chair, its only about �30. At least if you change his room, you wont have to worry too much about wasted money if you don't spend loads.

Hi Darky, I have thought about his room but he wont even go upstairs by himself. Ideally I would prefer a 3 with a dining room so I could change that. We have a huge garden so could put something there but he wont even go outside in the garden by himself. A 4 wouldn't be a problem I don't think as we were in a 4 bed before transferring to this place, but i'm only likely to get a 4 in a area which I probably don't want. Funnily enough I have had two people interested in my place who both have 4 beds, but there places have been housing associations and in areas with alot of children (HA I don't really want as at some stage I want to go back to work and I don't want a really built up area with children play outside till all hours).

Darky is your lil one getting much use out of her sensory room and is it in her bedroom or a different room?

I think I am just going to have to give it alot more thought :unsure:

well she hasnt got a sensory room per se, we have a downstairs playroom which has all her toys and the ikea swinging seat,and gym ball and shes always in there. Her bedroom is now just that, just a bed in a room. we are going to put a few more sensory bits in there like lighting, but I dont think its worth going OTT, its space she needed more than anything. What about the playhouse, couldnt you move that closer to the back door and use that?

I have to say actually that Logan uses his stuff a lot more now that its in his bedroom. We had a dedicated sensory room in our house in Scotland and he didn't really use it unless we took him in there, but since we moved to London and we dont have the extra room (well we do but its now a guest bedroom for my family) we put most of his stuff in his room and he uses it a lot more, but he does like his bedroom as its a safe space for him.

He's also a horrendous sleeper, and having the stuff in his room means that I can at least stay in bed for a bit as he'll watch his bubble lamp etc, whereas before I would have had to be up with him asap he was up (usually about 4am!)

When he's older we might separate the two into seperate rooms but for now it works well.

Lynne

Thanks for reply's. I have been looking through lots of old posts tonight!! and I think I have nowt to lose by at least trying for a disabled facilities grant to get him a sensory room. If that fails I can approach agencies who may offer some support. He doesn't really go upstairs and wont go in the garden by himself. I did look at moving the summerhouse but feel really for his own safety it has to be within the home or an extension of the home.

I asked the OT the other day about part of the loft becoming a safe space and she advised against it for safety reasons but did say could we make it a bedroom up there and use one of the bedrooms as a safe room. Th social worker was all for the idea of an extension or loft being converted.

I know if I want to go ahead with this we have a serious battle on our hands.

I have nowt to lose but time and probably getting my hopes up and not getting anywhere but I do have a lot to gain from it if we were successfull. The dept said the other day it's not been known in the area for someone to get a disabled facilities grant for a sensory room.

I just can't cope with the house being trashed all the time, huge meltdowns and the chance that one day he may severly hurt his sister.

hi ellis mum, son has just turned 9 and daughter has just turned 7.

Just realised I may not even be able to get this now, something to do with child staying in the property for 5 years......what would happen if I was succesful at him going to residential? maybe it's not worth trying after all :wallbash:

How old are your ellis mum?

Hi Stressedmum,

I am also working on the OT and SW for a loft conversion so that we have space for a sensory room - my OT told us that as long as it was still the family home it did not actually matter if the child it was all done for still lived there or not as nobody actually checks these things!

Good luck with the Disabled Facilities Grant - it is by no means a fast and easy route to take. We are still waiting for ours and it all began over 18mths ago.

I would suggest looking for a company who knows what they are getting into with DFG's as they are not paid until the job is completely finished and signed off by the council, OT etc!

If you could do it in an existing bedroom it would be far quicker, but I have no hope with my littlies as they all ready have huge (lack of) sleep issues and everyone keeps telling me to not make the room stimulating in anyway.

Nikki.

hi ellis mum, son has just turned 9 and daughter has just turned 7.

Just realised I may not even be able to get this now, something to do with child staying in the property for 5 years......what would happen if I was succesful at him going to residential? maybe it's not worth trying after all :wallbash:

How old are your ellis mum?

Hi Stressedmum,

My DS is 5 and DD 3, they get on well most of the time................. :rolleyes:

Good Luck, I think you should keep trying!

Lisa xx >:D<<'>