Bagpuss

Calling all puter peeps....

Luke Jackson mentioned something in his book about the lack of GCSE options because most subjects are compulsory nowadays.

I'd agree that the choices that my girl had to make were annoying for her.

She would have happily dropped all humanities subjects, but had to take one. She had to take a foreign language, and double science, English and Maths. One expressive arts choice. She also had to have a PE element, and an RE/PSHCE element of her course.

I suppose that a balanced diet is what the schools are aiming for up to 16.

4 decades ago, husband had to choose, and he selected Latin over Biology when he was 13.

So he knew what to call all the bits, but didn't know how they worked, or what to do with them. :devil:

Edited by Bard

Apologies for coming so late to this thread.

I have worked in IT for the last 17 years and my brother has worked in IT for the last 25. We do not have a single qualification in IT or computing between us! That's not to say they don't help get you in, but it is not essential.

At GCSE level I would say maths is the only essential. In my day maths GSCE (Called O level then!) was a requirement if you wanted to do computing at A level but Computing wasn't. I am guessing this is still the case. Similarly I would imagine most universities would be more concerned about a good Maths A level than a computing A level.

Getting the first job in IT is the really hard bit. When you have specific IT skills and experience qualifications become irrelevant. For this reason I would recommend 'sandwich' type courses where you get a years work experience in IT in year 3 When we have recruited graduates in the past that crucial year of work experience has been a huge plus point in terms of getting that all important interview.

Simon

Thanks all for your replies :) DS has been to careers evening, and there were reps there from Uni. They've told him what GCSE's and A Level's he needs to achieve. Apparantly he needs a minimum of 5 GCSE's and 4 A Levels, including Maths, English & Physics. He's still my baby tho....I feel old too now Mumble :tearful:

Apparantly he needs a minimum of 5 GCSE's and 4 A Levels, including Maths, English & Physics.

Which university is this?

Most people only take 3 A Levels. I find this 5 GCSEs difficult to believe because I know several people who have got into university including science degree courses without any GCSEs. I'm sure these reps are having you on.

I feel old too now Mumble :tearful:

' Age does not wither her. Nor custom stale her infinite variety. '

If it's good enough for Cleopatra, it will do for us.

We're not old Bagpuss, we're interesting and full of variety and experience.

Silence, you sniggering children!

Most people only take 3 A Levels. I find this 5 GCSEs difficult to believe because I know several people who have got into university including science degree courses without any GCSEs. I'm sure these reps are having you on.

Don't know about reps, but the average at my daughter's college is 4 A levels.

Not being argumentative, honestly.

Edited by Bard

I don't know if they were having us on Canopus :unsure: The uni the reps were from Teesside, and they said there were many, many different computing degrees, but the particular one DS is interested in required those passes.

' Age does not wither her. Nor custom stale her infinite variety. '

If it's good enough for Cleopatra, it will do for us.

We're not old Bagpuss, we're interesting and full of variety and experience.

Silence, you sniggering children!

I'm gonna rebel and have a pyjama party for my 40th :dance:

The usual format these days seems to be to take 4 subjects at AS level, then drop one and complete the other 3 at A2 level, giving you 3 A levels and 1 AS level.

Boho :dance:

Most people only take 3 A Levels. I find this 5 GCSEs difficult to believe because I know several people who have got into university including science degree courses without any GCSEs.

Students used to take 3 subjects under the old A'-Level system (back when I was at school). Under the newer AS/A2 prodominantly modular system students start off with 4 or 5 subjects which they take AS exams in at the end of the first year and then drop to 3 or 4 subjects which they continue to A2 level (equivilent to the old A'-level) - unless of course they're my sister and can't decide which ones to drop and so do all 5 at A2 level and get As in all of them :rolleyes:

Following the usual route, 5 GCSEs at A*-C is correct because this is the gate-keeper to AS/A2 study. It is why this is often quoted as a benchmark in Government statistics.

Some people will go on to A'-levels without the 5 A*-C but this is generally when they are mature students. Similarly mature or non-traditional students may complete (for example) access courses to begin a university degree at a foundation level without having the usual pre-requisits. Particularly in an era of widening participation, more and more people from a wide diversity of backgrounds are entering university through non-traditional paths, but this is less common for 18+ school leavers who have followed a 'normal' mainstream education.

Following the usual route, 5 GCSEs at A*-C is correct because this is the gate-keeper to AS/A2 study. It is why this is often quoted as a benchmark in Government statistics.

I'm involved in the HE community and know that GCSEs are not a gatekeeper to A Levels at all. It is actually quite easy to get on to A Level courses at 16 without GCSEs.

Guest Lya of the Nox

does it really matter what he does as long as he get the correct points!!!

cos i have been led to beleive that that is all that is important, best just to do the stuff u are good at and gonna pass with ???

we start all this with meggzie soon :wallbash::wallbash:

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for taking so much time to reply to this thread. It has helped a great deal. I'm beginning to feel alittle upset that it is becoming intense, and provoking strong reactions, which wasn't my intention. Could we please stop it.......I was actually worrying about this last night in bed, and I'm unsure how to respond. Please...no more replies :tearful:

Baggy :(