paulathomson

diagnosis

my ds had appointment with Camhs today. he was diagnosed with aspergers and add..the consultant who we saw last time was lovely and is going to phone school for me today as they still wont give my son any help without anything in writing. she is going to do this but is away this week so said will phone and explain to headteacher until she can get the paperwork done.

well i dont half feel relieved... maybe school might be more supportive now...wont hold my breath too long though..

Good luk to the next road of services and support!!!!another battle, I went to a HELP programme yesterday this was brilliant, due to this excellent site though it was what I already had awareness of but I did get some excellent ideas for school using traffic lights for work and time out cards to have an allowed breather from working, I wanted to give these ideas to school but J has detirated again and not at school, but at least I know there is a techneque to look into.

so I recommend the help programme by NAS.

JsMum,

Paula,

Well the school can't ignore you now, but you will no doubt have to keep chipping away and remind them, AS is a hidden disability and I think sometimes they forget or get complacent about our childrens needs. If you have not already don't forget to put a claim in for DLA, not only is it monetry help but may also help support your requests for additional supoort for your child as it proves what level of care we as parents have to give which in turn should be reflected at school.

Wishing you all the best and remember to take time for yourself once the dx has sunk in you can expereince all sorts of mixed emotions.

Clare x x x

Paula,

Well the school can't ignore you now, but you will no doubt have to keep chipping away and remind them, AS is a hidden disability and I think sometimes they forget or get complacent about our childrens needs. If you have not already don't forget to put a claim in for DLA, not only is it monetry help but may also help support your requests for additional supoort for your child as it proves what level of care we as parents have to give which in turn should be reflected at school.

Wishing you all the best and remember to take time for yourself once the dx has sunk in you can expereince all sorts of mixed emotions.

Clare x x x

thank you everyone for your replies.. it feels quite surreal still.. not fully sunk in. it sounds really daft to say that but even though i knew camhs suspected it and i knew they were probably right.. it still doesnt prepare you for the dx. i think it feels strange because all this time its been me against everyone else trying to prove to school that they are wrong... my child isnt naughty/lazy/attention-seeking/lying and everything else they have called him, but a child who is trying his hardest to fit in with normality...but now i have a dx.. that will all change.

i think i could find this next bit quite hard.. the continuing battle with the school.. because i know up until now i have had no real 'proof' and therfore had no plausible reason why he needs help. and despite playing detective for last year, i have been as nice to the school as i possibly can.

now though, im nervous that if they continue their obstructions even after dx.. then i will get very very cross and things will turn ugly.

maybe though im worrying for nothing... as usual.. after all.. my mp is doing a marvellous job and already the school are playing ball.. slightly..

i have sent off for dla last week after weeks of agonising whether to apply or not..but hv suggested i did. i took everyones advice.. from posts on here.. and sent recorded delivery and photocopied every page before sending.

many many thanks to everyone again.

Hi,

I found that with my daughters school too. She has ASD, and they don't seem to be taking this on board. As she isn't one of the more demanding children in the class she seems to get over looked. I have now put in a complaint, have to see where we go from there.

Goodluck.