Sign in to follow this  
stressedmumto2

Requesting information

Hi can anyone help?

Before the children broke up from school I wrote to the school requesting all of my child's school records. I gave this to his teacher and also wrote another letter to the head requesting the same information.

I received a letter the next day saying I would get something in the new term.

It's now standing at 52 working days and I understand that information has to be provided no later than 40 working days, does this still apply even if it's holiday time?

Also as I am still waiting can I request that the files be brought up to date or do I have to make a new request to find out whats been happening since the new term has started?

Btw, it's a new head in the school so I want to have my information correct before I start giving the time limits for providing information.

Thanks

Hi as far as i am aware they should get back to you with this information within 15 days check the ace website for up to date but im sure thats correct, it may be wise to write to them again requesting up to date information and outlining that you have previusly requsted these and the time limit has now passed be polite but assertive. Mrs F x

As Mrs Fussy says, the time limit is 15 days - 15 school days so that's 3 weeks in total from the time you make the request. The correct procedure is apparently to make the request in writing to the chair of governors and the head.

I'm not sure what happens if a holiday intervenes - I would assume it doesn't count as they are not school days. Even so, you are probably coming up to the 15 day limit.

I agree with mrs fussy, it's probably best to submit a fresh request in writing. A phone call to the new head might speed things up too.

All the information you want should be in your child's file - the school will usually let you sit and look through it and copy anything you want to take away with you.

K x

its only 15 days to receive a response... that isnt necessarily the time when you can get access to the files... this is 40 working days..

i am going through this at the moment. i understood from one website that it takes 15days.. and have challenged the school about this.. obviously i made myself look a bit foolish because i hadnt checked it correctly.

the data protection act itself gives you the correct details. hope this helps

I do think a letter chasing a reply is very reasonable, I would have expected the school to write and acknowledge receipt , in the follow up letter i would ask to ensure that all the information was up to date.

I do think a letter chasing a reply is very reasonable, I would have expected the school to write and acknowledge receipt , in the follow up letter i would ask to ensure that all the information was up to date.

yes this is a good idea.. the school are required to 'respond' to your request within 15 working days. i would write a letter stating that you submitted a request for your child's school file on .....date and under the data protection act 1998, you expect to receive a response within 15 working days. additionally, you should be given access to these files within 40 working days...

Just bringing this back to the top.

My original request for all files was made on the 18/7/2007. The holidays followed shortly after. In this letter I stated freedom of information act.

On the 1/10/2007 I sent e-mail stating what date I made the original request and could I have the information up to date. Got a reply saying need to establish progress, got another e-mail on 12/10/2007 stating "With reference to your last point we are in the process of collating all reports for you."

Have just sent another e-mail asking when they wil be made available.

I know I may sem a bit pushy but we are seeing psyc on Thurs so I wnat anything I can get for that, that shows problems are getting worse. Can I insist that I have the reports for then? I guess we are defo in past the 40 working days but are holidays included?

Argh, just had this reply "The records are now collated and being sent to the borough's legal services for transfer to your legal representation"

Why can't they send them direct to me :wallbash:

Just sent this reply

I requested this information for my personal circumstances. Is there any way in which I can have the files direct?

Edited by stressedmumto2

Argh, just had this reply "The records are now collated and being sent to the borough's legal services for transfer to your legal representation"

Why can't they send them direct to me :wallbash:

Just sent this reply

I requested this information for my personal circumstances. Is there any way in which I can have the files direct?

you have requested the files for your own use.. they have to give YOU access to these school records.. as it was yourself who asked for them. i think the rules for freedom of inof act is slightly different in that days they have to give you files may be longer than if you quoted you wanted the files under the data protection act. check this??

i would send them a polite email stating that you have rquested these files and they have 40 working days to give you access... not to redirect them..

im not sure if you can hurry them along for a specific date.. i think if they want to be awkward.. they probably can.. but that doesnt mean they dont have to comply with the law.

i wouldnt count the days through the school hols.. i would count the working days before and after and if it is more than 40 days then i would mention politley that their time is up....