Bagpuss

Clothing advice

Our eldest dd is 10 (AS). I've always struggled to find clothes which she finds comfortable. She is happy in a skirt and t-shirt, and 3/4 length trousers and has really taken to wearing the 3/4 leggings and smocks which are really fashionable at the mo. Summer is fantastic for us, in terms of finding her clothes to wear. However, with the cold weather now appearing, I'm at a loss. She won't wear tights, so that rules out skirts. She refuses point blank to wear jeans, because they feel uncomfortable on her. She loves tracksuit bottoms, but has to pull them up really high around her waist....this makes them too short, and very tight around certain lady areas (IYKWIM :whistle: ). All the tracksuit bottoms I've found are quite low waisted, and she can't bare it. I've tried all the major supermarkets and shops which are well known for stocking kids clothes. I've only just managed to find her a pair of school trousers which she is able to wear, after bringing home countless pairs, which didn't feel right for one reason or another......funnily enough, she seems to like bottoms which are too tight on her :unsure: Anyone have any ideas? Any shops which make kiddies clothes that little big larger/longer...with waists in the right place?

She is going away next month on a residential school trip for a week. It will mean her taking part in lots of outdoor activities, and she's so looking forward to it...however the list of clothing required has scared me........it's all thick wooly socks, jumpers, trousers etc...non of which she has....... :tearful:

She's upstairs at the mo, upset, because I bought her some trackie bottoms today, thinking they would be fine, waist looked ok, they didn't appear to be on the small side, but she dragged them up too high again, and they just looked ridiculous, sitting well above her ankles, so I've got to take them back. She now thinks she won't be able to go on her trip next month, because I won't be able to find anything she can wear. She gets herself in a right state when it comes to clothes, trying them on, buying them etc.......

Heya Baggy

Why not continue with the leggings into winter if she's happy with them? Stick a cardi over the smocks.

Is she big enough to try small adult clothes? I'm a midget myself & find H&M xs & Gap xs fit well & are trendy.

Or.... you could make them yourself ;):lol::lol:

Pull yourself together & stop crying :lol:

:lol::shame:

I like the leggings idea Pearl, and had considered it myself, but all her leggings are 3/4 length, or knee length. Havn't been able to find any longer ones. The top side of clothing I can handle, and we have found ways round it..although I'm not convinced she'll tolerate jumpers and such like on the trip..it's finding something she will wear which goes past her calf, is the right length and actually feels comfortable around her waist (she prefers elasticated, rather than button and zip). Why is everything low bloomin waisted :rolleyes:

Hadn't considered small adult clothing....may be worth a shot....ta :thumbs:

Would she tolerate using leggings as tights and wearing a skirt over the top, maybe socks to cover her ankle bit or boots to cover the gap? I know M&S are less 'trendy' and have selections of differently waisted trousers, a lot of higher waisted ones for older peeps, but might be able to find something suitable. They also have the option of short or medium or long length of leg, I think, so with a combination of higher waist and longer leg, you might find something to fit. It's tricky though, isn't it. I have exactly the same prob with Jay, he's extremely limited in what he'll accept as well. :wacko:

~ Mel ~

Oh, ta all >:D<<'>

I think I'll take her out tomorrow, after lunch at my mum's, to try lots on.....hopefully if she finds one pair she likes, be it trackies or long leggings, I can buy it in every colour. it's not about the fashion with her, it's how it feels.....mind you, the girlies and saturday shopping isn't good combination..we went out jeans shopping once, after I gave up just buying them and bringing them home. After I'd taken about the 10th pair to the changing room, which were rejected, I gave up the will to live..thankgod my JD mug came from the auction site this morning , it has made today more bearable :wub:

Aye, it's the little things which make me happy :lol:

Edited by Bagpuss

My girls wear leggings or 3/4 trousers with long boots in the winter.

There are some fabby soft suede boots about, which would be comfy.

My girls also wear little skirts over their leggings, which could cover any 'tightish' areas, IYSWIM. You could try little denim skirts, or both my girls also have little soft jersey skirts which might be more comfy.

Smock tops with little cropped cardigans would be warmer and look trendy. Also, long sleeve t-shirts under the smocks?

HTH

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Ooh I like the slouchy boots idea, they would bridge the gap. Tesco have some nice Ugg-ish ones for a tenner. And legwarmers are back in fashion arent they? :unsure: I need S here to check!

If she finds jumpers itchy, knitted cotton or fleece are much more comfy.

And have you looked at La Redoute catalogue? Their girls clothes go up to age 16 (I buy them myself & spend the VAT on Tequila as Victoria Wood advises) and their adults start at size 6. And they are CHEAP!

Hi

Niamh also hates jeans - as they are uncomfortable and she struggles with the button. She is happiest in leggings and over the summer she took to wearing skirts as well. She is quite tall for her age so finding clothes for her can be a struggle. Last time we went clothes shopping I got some lovely tops for her from New Look , adult nighties (size 8) from BHS and we found some brilliant leggings from a sports shop. Becuase Niamh is tall but quite skinny, some leggings and trousers are too big for her at the waist so I try and get leggings with the ties on. As for pulling them up tight, Niamh does the opposite and has them as low as possible.

If her top is warm, keeping the legs warm isn't so important. It's the top where you lose more heat. 3/4 length leggings with a warm top should be warm enough.

Would boys' trousers be higher waisted?

hi,

would she wear thermal leggins and tops? the kind you wear skiing? I know they are not trendy but would have high waist and be warm. you could dye them nice colours..? I know that E (AS) does not seem to feel the cold or heat like other non AS children, he wants to wear next to nothing in winter and great big coats in summer? Is it you as a mum that needs her to be warm or is she cold but struggles with wearing different things? Wish i could offer a solution. good luck :thumbs:

I was going to suggest soft boots or Ugg's to wear with leggings.

BHS do good joggy bottoms for boys but of course they are dark plain colours, my Ds lives in them, saying they are not too soft or too hard !!!

Clare x x x

Edited by Clare63

Don't try to order from them online (see my wallpaper thread for reasons).

I've had no problems ordering clothes online, plus you can get more than one size and try them on at home. Returns are easy: just take the parcel to your nearest shop.

Bid

I'm sure I've seen footless tights (leggings) in tesco and asda, pretty cheap too. Would she wear long socks, to keep the bottom half of her legs warm? My dd loves those bright stripey over the knee ones that goth kids wear, you can get them in Poundland, really handy for her to wear with skirts and they don't end up with the gusset at knee level like tights :rolleyes:

Thanks again to everyone for all the fab replies.... :D

Didn't get chance today, after a unsettling incident with youngest dd dressed as Snow White in a carpet warehouse (looooong story), so hopefully will get out tomorrow to have a mooch round.

Yup, all ok ta. Shortened version......youngest dd went out dressed as Snow White yesterday, all the staff at a carpet warehouse made a fuss of her, crowding round and saying they had a dwarf she could take home ( a short fella who worked there)........dd's worst nightmare (being centre of attention, not short people), I tried to make a sharp exit, towards to lino's, without causing too much fuss, dd hid behind carpets, cowering, found what I was looking for, paid and tried to leave quietly....but they did the same on the way out.....Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to meltdown we go....... :rolleyes:

Tried to go out today, to get eldest dd the dreaded trousers/leggings/tights.......one word..............horrific :(

It just brings it home, that although both dd's are very able, the small things, can have the biggest impact.