Sign in to follow this  
shars

gettingschool records

Hi ,

need to see school records where do I start ,anyone any general advice or standard letters????

Please feel free to tell me stories of underhandenest or anything, so I know what to expect.Under the Data Protection act 1998 I know I am entitled to these but it would be nice to know others experiences

Still fighting

Shars xoxoxox

Hiya Shars

What I did because I wanted to be prepared for my son's appointments with CAMHS etc I had wrote to the head of year and requested copies of the school records in order to take copies to the appointments with me.

I had wrote to the school at the beginning of the week and the following week they had all this prepared for me.

You are in your rights to request these and there is to what I can remember a time limit, I cannot remember offhand but sure someone will let you know on here.

Sometimes there is a small charge, for example: 20 sheets for a �1, but luckily we wasn't charged.

To be honest though in these records were just copies of letters I had sent to the school beforehand, copies of Daniel's assessments made by each teacher which I already had copies of and any letters sent out to us on the past in copies.

Nothing about behaviour, attendance etc, but this may vary from one school to another, and I think this was why we wasn't charged.

Hopefully what you request will give more detail, but anything is still a help.

Good luck hun, and just remember you can request the records from the school in your own rights. :thumbs:

All the best.

Di. xxx :D

Shars,

I have still to do this but i contacted the data protection officer at my local council and she advised me to write to her giving specific detail on which organisation in the council i wished info on so that i could request info from more than one source and also what info they held on me also.

I have still to do this but intend to.

This lady was very nice and said anything that is not accurate could be ammended!

This info was offered to me without me asking so maybe it is quite common for things not to be accurate.

good luck

Nicola

i got copies of my ds's school records.

first i wrote to board of governors asking for copies of his file...you are allowed access free of charge but if you want copies sometimes there is a charge per sheet. you can ask in you letter to be informed of this cost.

under the data protection act..the school have 15 working days to reply to your letter ( just acknowledgement, not access to file) they have up to 40 working days to grant you access to and/or copy your childs file.

some schools are awkward and may state a 60 day time limit.. but this is not accurate.. this is under the freedom of inofrmation act.. not the data protection act..most schools though will not be awkward and will be fairly quick.

for us, getting my sons school record was good.. it was not complete in that all of the information about him since starting school to year 2 was missing and this explained the reason why it took me 18 months to get school to acknowledge his difficulties..of course i had to find out why his files were missing..still unresolved.. but i know for next time we move that i need to keep a copy of everything and present it to the school myself...rather than it getting lost through the transfer process.

good luck.

I asked DS senco last week about getting info, she said she wasnt sure and would find outfor me.

The next day she rang me about something else, and told me all I needed to do was write in and copies of

all his paperwork would be sent onto me within 48 hours, still have to do this.... but I think this is the

way it should be done.