brooke

what sort of christmas

this will be the 1st xmas that me and my other half have lived together for, so I am breaking my life long tradition of going to my parents and doing it at home. Im looking forward to it, but at the same time im not sure if it will "feel" like xmas as it is the one day of the year that I dont do anything!!! my dad cooks dinner and i spend all day playing withthe kids and drinking champers bliss hope it will be ok......!!!

Whats Dreidel please? :) We like games.

Hi Pearl,

Well, a dreidel is like a spinning top but it has 4 straight sides. On every side there's a (Hebrew) letter. So before you spin, you say what letter you think it's going to land on. There are lots of different variations, when the children were small we just got them all to guess before the dreidel was spun, and the winner got a pat on the back.

My kids and the cousins are older now, so pats on the back don't work.

At the start of each round, every player puts a chocolate coin into the middle.

Then each person has a turn at spinning the dreidel. If the d lands on a certain letter, then you don't get to take the coins in the middle. If it lands on a different one, you get to take everything in the middle. If it lands on a different letter then you take half of what's in the middle. And if it lands on the last one, you have to add a coin to the middle.

If you run out of coins, you're out.

The person who has won all the coins is the winner.

You have to have lots of chocolate coins due to the amount which gets eaten during the game (by the grown-ups).

I wonder if sciencegeek has other rules :D

Cheers,

Eva

At the start of each round, every player puts a chocolate coin into the middle.

Then each person has a turn at spinning the dreidel. If the d lands on a certain letter, then you don't get to take the coins in the middle. If it lands on a different one, you get to take everything in the middle. If it lands on a different letter then you take half of what's in the middle. And if it lands on the last one, you have to add a coin to the middle.

If you run out of coins, you're out.

The person who has won all the coins is the winner.

You have to have lots of chocolate coins due to the amount which gets eaten during the game (by the grown-ups).

I wonder if sciencegeek has other rules :D

Cheers,

Eva

Nope same rules as we play by. Only a few days to go! I love playing with the dreidel and eating the chocolate coins. Looking forward to latkes and doughnuts :thumbs:

Thanks for explaining the game Eva. I was curious too. :)

We will do the same that we've done for several years.

In the week before I will bake mince pies and sausage rolls - I used to do this with my mum when I was young and when I do it now it feels like she's sharing a bit of Christmas with me (she died when I was 15). I play carols and have a glass of wine and it's great.

Chrismas Eve is my birthday - sometimes I long for a less hectic day just to chill out, but on the other hand, it's always a non working day, everyone's at home and in holiday mood. I love the bucks fizz for breakfast, the last minute stocking filling and the church crib service and a quiet meal of my choice at home. It's impossible to go for a birthday meal out or a trip to the theatre on Christmas Eve - we've tried! :crying:

On Christmas day, after opening the presents, and getting ready we go off to my parents in law in Sussex for a couple of days. I always breathe a sigh of relief when we get on the M25 as the mad rush is over and what's forgotten will have to stay forgotten.

The in laws always do a Christmas that Dickens would be proud of - loads of food, wine, choccies, games, vegging in front of the TV later...

We endured stressful years of Christmas crackers at the table, with L getting tense long before the meal - then rushing upstairs and hiding until they were all pulled, (I used to try and dismantle as many as possible as quickly as possible to get it over with). Now they've finally realised that crackers aren't actually compulsory at the Chrismas table. What we all get now is far better, a book, specially chosen for the individual, wrapped and waiting in the place where a cracker would be. I think it's a brilliant idea - I have something new to read while everyone else is sitting through yet another Only Fools and Horses Christmas special. :rolleyes:

We get the inevitable stresses, but we love it, mostly!

Must go and dig out the Advent calendar now. Where the heck did I put it? :unsure:

K x

just getting back to this post had a bad week youngest was rushed to hosp on tues with bad chest infetion we had to stay in :tearful: we are home now though but i will be keeping him in for a while.

Anyway ive really enjoyed reading what everyone is up to this xmas. Ive just about done the shopping now thank goodness as the town is getting ridiculus now :wacko: Next thing on the list is the TREE whoo!!!!!! Im sure DH will be thrilled about that!!!!!!

Brooke

Hi Pearl,

in order to increase the amount of chocolate in a latke, you could smother it in chocolate spread - as far as I know that hasn't been done yet :D . Potatoes and chocolate - yum!

Evaxx

Latkes are potato pancakes.

Yeah... I remember... I'd get home from school to an empty house... just a plate of cold potato cakes waiting on the side for my evening meal... sitting all alone... waiting...

Yes, i was a latke kid.......

:rolleyes:

Sorry... I'll get me coat... :whistle:

Yes, i was a latke kid.......

:rolleyes:

:lol::shame:

Now are you going to explain your new avvy? I've been trying to figure it out, but I'm confuzzled . . .

i wont be putting the tree up till the weekend before christmas, g gets so upset and spends alot of time trying to pull it down! this way only have to protect it/put it back up for a few days. then we'll eat christmas dinner on christmas eve , a mixture of not sleeping and too much excitment means no cooking or eating on the day and it means any family are gone before the day and g can enjoy it in peace

:lol::shame:

Now are you going to explain your new avvy? I've been trying to figure it out, but I'm confuzzled . . .

It's from Monty Python, I think. :)

Hopefully BD will be along to explain what deep personal significance his avvy has for him. Although with puns like the one he's just come up with, do you really think we should let him back on this thread?? :rolleyes:

K x

Hopefully BD will be along to explain what deep personal significance his avvy has for him. Although with puns like the one he's just come up with, do you really think we should let him back on this thread?? :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just enjoying reading about all these christmasses (and working out how to get round to all your houses at the right time, Vicar of Dibley style!!! :whistle::devil:) - I do particularly like your anti-crackers - best christmas we had was when the crackers got damp and didn't snap!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

best christmas we had was when the crackers got damp and didn't snap!!!

Ugh - damp crackers... didn't they make the cheese taste soggy?

Sorry - If people are going to knock my GOOD puns I'll stick to the awful ones...

Damp crackers?

No I always sit like this

What's the difference between an essex girl and a christmas cracker?

The cracker doesn't follow you around for six months after you've pulled it

(variations involving the phrase 'one good tug' are not acceptable - this is a family forum you know...)

What's Frank carson's favourite thing at Christmas?

That's a cracker!

I don't know why people always wait until dinner to pull theirs... Ben and i have ours at breakfast with a glass of lemonade... yes, we like a bit of snap, cracker and pop for breakfast...

Ican go on all night you know (fnar fnar), but thankfully I won't.........

Mumble - The avvy is 'Mr Gumby' from Monty Python... 'It's' after a long run up to camera is another bit of Monty Python... The descending foot is yeti nuvver part of Monty python...

Dayyam! I forgot the spam! :devil:

L&P

BD :D

Guest Lya of the Nox

i will now do xmas

even changed my avvy

is very much wishful thinkin

altho the hair colour is now true lol

Damp crackers?

No I always sit like this

I find it v hard to smile, let alone laugh, before midday ....

Thanks, BD, I choked on my cuppa reading that! :lol:

Ugh - damp crackers... didn't they make the cheese taste soggy?

Surely 'soggy' is a texture rather than a taste??

V. good with the cracker puns though. I even understood some of them :rolleyes::lol:

We love Christmas, off to buy the tree tomorrow.

Its always Christmas in our house. My son loves Christmas music and cartoons. We have watched Mr Magoos Christmas Carol every day since July. We even get excited at the first Christmas ad on the telly

Surely 'soggy' is a texture rather than a taste??

V. good with the cracker puns though. I even understood some of them :rolleyes::lol:

No - soggy is a flavour... slightly citrus, yeasty and fungal... Think a plain chocolate orange two years past it's sell by that has turned white...

I believe it is a french culinary term, dating back at least two centuries. If you know the French Children's rhyme 'Friar Jack' you'll remember it as applied to milk puddings in the third 'Ronde' - "Soggy semolina, Soggy semolina"......

No - soggy is a flavour... - "Soggy semolina, Soggy semolina"......

No - that just refers to my mum's 'special' recipe - extra water cause it's cheaper than milk or semolina :sick::lol:

just getting back to this post had a bad week youngest was rushed to hosp on tues with bad chest infetion we had to stay in :tearful: we are home now though but i will be keeping him in for a while.

Anyway ive really enjoyed reading what everyone is up to this xmas. Ive just about done the shopping now thank goodness as the town is getting ridiculus now :wacko: Next thing on the list is the TREE whoo!!!!!! Im sure DH will be thrilled about that!!!!!!

Brooke

Oh Brooke, I'm sorry, hope he's recovering ok >:D<<'>

Well, our tree is up, and the decs too :thumbs::wub: DH bought me Now Xmas today :dance: I was playing me Pan Pipes Christmas favourites, and think he got abit fed up :whistle:

Both girlies had a Christmas Party to go to today organised by DH's work. Got a call to ask me to collect eldest dd after 20 mins, because she was completely miserable and wanted to come home :blink: 10 mins after we got back, DH arrived with youngest dd, who'd announced she'd had enough too, and wanted to come home. No amount of persuasion or bribery that she would see Santa soon and get a pressie would keep her there :rolleyes: Hey ho ho ho......

Had the Scouts round tonight, collecting for local charities, and a huge sleigh with Santa on, blasting out music, going up the road :wub:

Got family visiting Christmas Eve, just for the evening, for a few drinks and nibbles.

Christmas Day we'll be up at the crack of dawn, opening stockings and pressies, then over to my mum's for dinner, then back here for the evening.

Boxing Day we are hoping to see my sister.

Feeling soooooooooooooooooo festivey (is that a word? :unsure: )

Wish me had a log fire :( Saw a dachshund in Newcastle on Saturday, with a lil red and white Christmas jumper on :wub::wub: