rainbow queen

asd and scooters??...

i only found out last night

my sister has bought my 2 boys a scooter each for xmas....without letting me know first...

im getting my 5 year old a bike for xmas with stabilsers

but my asd son is not having one as he cant do it-ive spent much time in the past trying to do it and it all ends in tears

so he was happy just to have pc games this year ect

now i feel really bad as my sister is on a tight budget too with cash -i told her to get them bubble bath................

and i swear ive told her in the past about my asd sons balance ect --it falls on deaf ears.............

now im going look really ungratefull-and im unsure about telling her it will be no good.

have any of your children ever mastered to use a scooter ??

going ring her up in a bit to try and explain.................. :unsure:

I bought my kids those two wheeler scooters when they were first popular a few years ago. Ben and dd were fine; Bill took his out once then ended up carrying it round with him until we got home. He just couldn't coordinate himself to get it going and even managed to fall off when he wasn't even moving!

However, there's no harm in having a go. I think it would be good to try anything that might help practice using the coordination.

Flora

I think it's a good idea to try it and it can always be a spare if the other one gets broken.

I was late learning to ride a bike (and I still can't signal right :rolleyes:) but had a scooter I loved as a kid (I think my first one had three wheels to make it more stable :unsure:). The easier thing with a scooter is that as long as you go slowly to start with you are less likely to fall and get really hurt as you do on a bike. You might find it helps withhis confidence.

I'd definately let him try the scooter, my son took ages to get the hang of a bike, but got used to a scooter failrly quickly - and cos they can very easily stop, slow down etc it's way less scary.

I agree it would also probably help confidence >:D<<'>

my lad falls off a bike with stabilizers :rolleyes: but when i brought his bro one of these two wheeled scooters he loved it ok he doesnt put both feet on the thing but he can get to one end of the garden to the other let him try it and if he doesnt like it like some one said its a spare. >:D<<'>

My lad is 14 and totally hopeless with anything like that. He still can't ride a bike, even though they try to teach him at school and we tried for months a couple of years ago, going out every day, etc., all with no success. He has no motivation to learn, that's the problem, and he just doesn't see the point. We never bothered with a scooter, just knew he'd never try or put the effort into practicing with it. I'm sure if he had a brother who was using one though, it could have proved to spur him on a bit maybe, but alas a bit late now! :whistle: If your other lad is getting one, it might encourage your ASD lad to copy him and he might take to it, never know, it's worth a try. :P

~ Mel ~

Rainbow, I have to say I would've reacted exactly the same as you!

My five-year-old has a two-wheel scooter and is brilliant on it, DS1 (ten) can do it but not as well, and DS2 has problems with balance while walking, so there's NO WAY he could do it. He did put one foot on it a few weeks ago, but when it showed signs of moving he freaked out and got off. We have bikes with stabilisers rotting in the shed.

I also get exasperated with family buying totally inappropriate presents. This year my sis sent DS2 a birthday card with a pic of a kid playing football. OK, I'm being v sensitive, but it's the last in a long line of things that are meaningless to my kids. Last year she bought a v expensive Buzz Lightyear, which he just handed straight over to his little brother before moaning that he didn't have enough Lego.

It's lovely that people buy the kids presents - and perhaps your son will take to his scooter - but sometimes it's hard not to feel ungrateful. I'd much rather people would show consideration and accommodate their differences. How hard is it to buy an appropriate birthday card? I wouldn't buy one with pink fluffy kittens for my sister's son!

If the scooter doesn't work out, maybe you could sell it and buy a PC game??!!

Lizzie xx >:D<<'>

right well ive tryed ringing her and shes not been in

i spoke to her partner on msn -and he cant see what the fuss is about

saying they will get used to them and all that

my 5 year old is alot more able than my 6 year old but even he isnt what id call the norm...if that makes sense -he copys alot from his older brother :tearful:

ive found out they are the micro type ones and they are flashing and from argos costing �20 each

thats alot of cash -if they wont even set foot on them.

i just cant see it happening with my son [asd],he also has probs with balance walking -even has problems with different surfaces of ground,

im still fuming -its been getting at me all day :angry:

1/i dont want her to waste her cash

2/they dont listen to a word i say

3/ fancy leaving it till right near xmas day to tell me

Rainbow queen - >:D<<'> - I can understand why your upset. I wouldn't worry about them wasting their cash 'cos they are grown ups and have made that decision themselves, I would be a bit upset that the pressie is likely to cause problems re your son not being able to use it and getting upset frustrated etc :tearful: . My son was 8 before he learnt to ride a bike and we had many meltdowns and avoidance for a long time but now he loves it and I'm glad we perservered.

So maybe it is worth just giving the scooter a go, or just putting it aside until he wants to have ago again. When he opens it on Xmas day I'd not make a big fuss of it just leave it to one side and see what happens. :ph34r:

Good Luck with it

Luv Witsend.

It really annoys me when people give useless or unsuitable presents. Whatever gave your sister the idea of buying a scooter? It's not as if they are the must have craze anymore. It baffles me why outdoor toys and bikes are such popular Christmas presents when its cold and dark and icy and there are plenty of drunk drivers around at this time of year.

My advice isn't to make a big issue of it as long as your son has other presents to make him happy. If your sister asks why your son isn't using the scooter just mention the weather!

JP did fine with a scooter. Then mastered a bike roughly age-appropriate, I think, but v v wobbly at first. It seems to be a v individual thing. His AS auntie could never ride a bike & didnt even attempt learning to drive.

Mumble, I can't signal right either, I just fall off if I try! :lol:

Hi Rainbowqueen, my daughter really struggled with a bike but mastered a scooter pretty quickly, the bonus is that its not so dangerous to fall of a scooter! Hope you have a good christmas >:D<<'>

My 6 year old loves his scooter too. It took him a bit of time getting used to it but it has been good for his balance and coordination and he likes using it. So you may be ok :)

Lx

hi how did the scooters go???

reece still has training stabilizers on his bike but is fine on a scooter hope they enjoyed them

love donnaxxx

My DS loves his scooter.....parked in the lounge and he constantly jumps on and scoots around, its drive me mad but its his de-stress thing !