Clare63

Just wanted to share some encouraging news

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my news, got an email from the LEA on the 21st December advising me that my parential request for an assessment for a statement of special needs had been to panel and that they have agreed to go ahead to the next stage (which to be honest I am not sure what that is ?). But as my request has not been kicked out, I guess it good and encouraging news. Here's hoping that my DS will be able to get the education he so deserved in 2008.

Have popped on and off the forum over Christmas and have been both warmed and devasted by what I have read. You guys have all become so special to me and I thank you all from the bottom of heart for all the support, help, encouragement and laughs you've given me over the past year since my DS was dx'd in Jan 07.

Wishing you all peace this Christmas time and all the very best for the New Year 2008.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

:thumbs::thumbs: Good news.I hope you can have a short breather before the next stage.Lots of people here have worked through Statutary Assessment so do ask if you have any questions.Karen.

>:D<<'> Well done you >:D<<'> I sure do love to read posts of victory, your over the first herdle and a couple of brick walls, :ninja::wallbash: so now just the actual process of the assessment now where all the areas of needs will come forward, so make a note of what kind of support you would like your son to have in place in school, he may even want to contribute, and be part of the decisions.

Next stage normally means signing a paper that lets them assess by various proffessionals like the Ed psych, speech and language, a medical practioner that will do the physical, he/she needs to make it clear about any issues around unstructured times, so dinner times, playtimes, if he needs support assistance in there areas, that sort of thing.

The signed form is also to give permission for private information to be shared between other proffessionals as everything in his medical notes will be protected by the Data information act so permission is required.

The next stage also has to be done in a time scale too, keeping it to the required weeks that the assessment takes so they cant take months on end to do it they really do only have a short time to do it by the Law.

Any further questions just ask, here is a few tips for now though.

keep a file and copy everything, and request the assessment in writing too, dont just take the email, but keep alll emails copied and keep a log book of events, any further supporting letters will be good to add to evidence and if you have any proffessionals that are in support ask them to put in writing for the process of the statement assessment, once they have agreed to the statement then you can add further information also so you do get more time after the actual assessment has been made.

I wish you the best in 2008 too and reading your post that he was diagnosed 2007 Jan it sure does go by quick doesnt it, I cant believe that its already been a year.

Good luck with the result of the assessment and if they do refuse you can appeal, but if you win the statement draft then do come back for any more help,

well done.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Thanks as ever Guys for your kind words of support and encouragement, links, advice and info etc.,

I have today recieved the formal letter together with various appendix to complete including one for Connor, who I must say is a little stressed and concerned about what is to happen, for me too, it has unnerved me today reading through the info required its rather like picking at an old wound and feeling all the hurt again if you know what I mean. Not that its been all bad, just difficult at times mainly due to the lack of understanding of others and their expectations of both our child and us as parents.

I am feeling positive though and ready for any battle, as a union rep for many years I am used to presenting a case and with all the support and help I get on this forum, I know I have one hell of a chance of getting what is "right" for Connor.

Clare x x x

its rather like picking at an old wound and feeling all the hurt again if you know what I mean

I think I can safely say we all know exactly what you mean. Its a hard thing to do, so plan a special treat for yourselves when its completed. >:D<<'>

Thanks Baddad & Pearl.

Wound is healing a little today, getting my strength back even though I have a streaming cold.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x