LizC

Toothpaste

Hi everyone. right well although it isn't a real problem right now it won't be long before it is. you see my 7 year old aspie can't stand the smell or taste of mint. he will only use the sparkle berry kind of toothpaste and even then it has to be the right one. he freaks out when he can smell mint so using adult toothpaste is a no go area. any ideas on what I can use. Ihave looked in chemist and can't seem to see anything else, why do they make all adult toothpaste mint??? lemon would be good! Can he use kiddie paste forever or will it not be enough protection for his adult teeth? :unsure:

Have you tried somewhere like Holland & Barratt Liz? I'm sure they will stock alternatives. You can also buy organic toothpaste, which comes in flavours other than mint. I can't see that using kiddies toothpaste will do any long term damage, so long as he cleans properly. I'd give your dental practice a bell too, they may be able to offer alternatives and further advice. Good luck!

you could try some natural toothpaste from your health food store. They are relatively expensive but you only need a very little to achieve clean teeth...that stay clean too!

We have a similar problem with C. Although he likes mint, he finds adult toothpaste flavours far too strong and they make his eyes water. We tried everything from sensodyne to natural, and all the fruity flavours made him gag. I was concerned about the low levels of flouride in milk-teeth toothpaste, but was finding that toothbrushing time was becoming a nightmare with the adult paste.

When I spoke to our dentist about it he recommended that we keep using the milk teeth toothpaste (as it's perfectly fine for cleaning, just lacks enough flouride) and give C a small amount of flouride supplement in the form of a tablet. He worked out how much C would need to compensate, without giving C too much flouride (too much can stain the teeth, and some areas have flouride added to the water - so all that needs to be taken into account).

Perhaps your dentist may be able to help you out.

Hi Liz

this was a nightmare for a long time in our house the dentist and hygenist were great though.they said just brush with nothing on if that helps then baby toothpaste and keep trying with other ones. we have to find one without sodium benzoate and we did a gel one that is not very strong. the ones that are a mix of mouthwash/toothpaste she likes are not so strong.

nic

DS doesnt like using toothpaste to brush his teeth

well this little story might give you all a laugh instead

my DS favotite trick is if someone leaves the bathroom door unlocked(have to keep it locked)

is to go into the bathroom and put the toothpaste eveywhere

yesterday we had 2 perfect handprints in toothpaste on the bathroom mirror also had footprints as well over the floor

Hi thanks everyone. thanks bagpuss! had a look at website. today we have had a look in holland and barret and could only see fennel, not sure what that is like. the only reason I think lemon would be Ok is his fish oils are lemon and he likes that.

I suppose the good side is he doesn't mind having his teeth cleaned too much!

Does he like strawberries?

Hi v1971 :) -

I had to take the link out of the thread as forum rules prohibit direct links to commercial sites, but I have forwarded it to Liz via PM

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

Just wanted to say that the ONLY toothpaste my ds will use is the sparkle berry one from Sainsburys, he goes absolutely ballistic if I get anything else! Not sure what I will do when he outgrows it, guess I'll watch this space and use any tips mentioned!

Just wanted to say that the ONLY toothpaste my ds will use is the sparkle berry one from Sainsburys, he goes absolutely ballistic if I get anything else! Not sure what I will do when he outgrows it, guess I'll watch this space and use any tips mentioned!

Hi Matthew's fav and one he would only use was the berry sparkle from asda and they only went and stopped making it!!!! he went ballistic when I told him!!grrr I searched for something similar, found another brand in asda still but it seemed to be the closed match, more expensive though!

to the other question,he does like strawberry but I am not sure he would like it without the sparkle lol.

The only paste J will use is one from superdrug - 'strawberry glitter gel flouride toothpaste'

Nothing else will do and def NO mint of any any description - least this ones got flouride in it though :)

my son despises toothpaste, the mere mention of toothpaste or brushing causes tears , its really hard, i have had friends in america send me over every tupe of toothpaste as they have a ton of differnt flavours over there, including lemon and grape ..the thing is with my son is he hates it so much he retches and wont go near any of them now, its so hard....ive tried everything

this post brought me back to 2 years ago when I changed my usual brand of toothpaste from the white one to the blue one i have always brought the white one this resulted in a massive meltdown with ryan opening the bathroom window and screaming out that i was a murderer and was trying to kill him with blue tack toothpaste!!

Im afraid I dont have any advice but will ask about at work (work with health visitors) they may have some ideas x

Yep, I have the same problem with my 7 year old - he only like the pink mild mint baby toothpaste, but won't touch the white aquafresh 0-3 years milk teeth toothpaste. I can only get the pink one from the local chemist - and I think they have stopped stocking it now! Either that, or I just picked up the wrong one accidentally. I tried moving him up to the 4-6 one but that had stripes in and he refused to even try it!

might be worth trying a tube of each, and mixing a bit of the new one with the old one (could get messy!)

DS2 is the opposite - he goes around eating the toothpaste and getting it everywhere!