Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Sleep, well lack of

I've been sleeping a lot worse than normal lately. It takes hours to get to sleep and when I finally do I get the night sweats and wake up stuck to the sheet no matter how cold it actually is. Been having a lot of strange dreams too, and am constantly exhausted. Weird. I hope it lets off soon because I have to get some work done during this holiday. Maybe it's just the chaos of the hols thats causing it all, been really busy lately. :unsure:

It might help if you take a sleeping aid, just to get you back into the routine of sleeping at the right times. There are some you can buy in the chemist or supermarket, which might be worth trying before considering prescribed sedatives.

I find I dream more if I am over-tired. While you sleep your brain puts everything in order, and that's why you dream. If you need to catch up on sleep, you will dream more than usual. It doesn't make it easier to deal with, but just knowing it will pass sometimes helps.

my son also finds it very hard to get to sleep, but he has melatonin now which really helps him get off to sleep. He still doesnt sleep for a long time but it helps him drift off at least. Could your dr perscribe anything?

I've been put on sleep meds before but found that while I did sleep I was still tired all the time. It seemed to go from one extreme to another where I was falling asleep all the time, standing up on the train etc.

I think a lot of it is the weather and house central heating, our sleep patterns have been effected plus where not in the same routines so things are more flexible and relaxed, we are starting to go to bed an hour earlier and get up an hour earlier and we are setting the alarm clock in the morning again.

Do you do any exercise, maybe some sort of programme will aid sleep and meditation is great too.

I personally have talked to many people and a lot are in the same situation with the celebrations, weather and that lathargic feeling with central heating.

If you havent got the central heating and you do excersice and your routine is ok I would then get a check with your gp and have maybe a full physical to cancle out thyroid or enemia issues.

Monitor how your sleep routines are noting the times you go to bed, get up and note any physical activity and any stressors.

Good luck but we are defo suffering the same as well though we are getting a good amount of sleep, its the settling and getting up thats the problem.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

I suffer from a sleep disorder which means sometimes I wake up in the night and have difficulty getting back to sleep which leaves me tired in the day. A diary is a great idea as is some excercise if you can manage it. Another tip is a radio next to your bed, I have an internet radio and put it on timer and usually it helps me fall asleep.

Also if you take a nap during the day you will find it can take the edge of your tiredness and therefore make it more difficult to sleep. You need to also consider what you think makes you wake up, is it the sweating or is that your brain is very active. I was advised to use relaxation tapes which also helped but now I'm out of the habit.

Hope it helps.

Still having trouble sleeping despite feeling exhausted all the time. I find that I can't get to sleep if gf isn't in bed I find the rythm of her breathing and her weight on the bed is comforting. Tonight I have been overheating really badly and the bedroom isn't dark enough. It's not as if we even have any heating on as we don't have central heating and I wear little to no bed clothes. :wallbash: