Mumble

Because 'giving' is a good New Year's Resolution!

Hi everyone :D

In some moment of sheer utter complete madness last year I decided that next year I would give something back to the NAS. And what better way than climbing up a mountain . . . or so I thought. :rolleyes:

But now of course, 'next year' is actually 'this year' and I'm off up the mountain, Scafell Pike, in May. Now said 'mountain' is perhaps better described as a 'large hill' (certainly by the mountain status on this forum!!) and I think the challenge for me will be much more in all the 'surrounding' stuff - getting sponsorship, planning, being part of a team - than the actual climb, but I'm hoping that this will be the first of many. My ultimate aim, if this goes OK, is Kilimanjaro (again for the NAS)!!!

The minimum sponsorship isn't too high for this one (though I'm hoping to raise more than that) - I'm using this as a way of testing whether trying to obtain the sponsorship to get lost up Kilimanjaro in the future is feasible. One positive (:unsure:) I have going for me this time is that it's on my birthday (yes, I do realise that the 'normal' involves drinks :wine:, food :eat: and friends :gather:, not wet, windy and outdoors! :lol:) so I've asked people who would normal send me a card/prezzie to sponsor me instead (well that really counteracts the 'Aspies only think about themselves' myth, doesn't it!!! :rolleyes:).

So . . . (yes there's a catch!!), the purpose of this thread is just to point out my new siggy (below!!) with a direct link to my online funding page (it's there so 'guests' can't access it). If your New Years Resolution was to give to charity here's your chance to do so for a good cause! And if that wasn't your New Year's resolution - make it so!! Here's your chance, collectively, to rid the forum of me for a while by sponsoring me enough for the 'Little Pike' so that I decide Kilimanjaro is possible!! :lol::P

Thank you!!!!! :D

Fantastic idea Mumble :notworthy:

Thanks Pearl :D (so long as 'fantastic' doesn't just apply to ridding the forum of me!! :D:P)

I'm at work now but will check it out later.

Great :thumbs: Feel free to pass the webpage details to any other odd people you know who might be inclined to sponsor a penguin to go far from her natural habitat! :)

Thanks Pearl :D (so long as 'fantastic' doesn't just apply to ridding the forum of me!! :D:P)

Great :thumbs: Feel free to pass the webpage details to any other odd people you know who might be inclined to sponsor a penguin to go far from her natural habitat! :)

*note to self: do not tell Mumble you can access the forum from internet phones* :lol:>:D<<'>

I met 2 people who had just climbed Kilimanjaro last summer. They said you have to practice climbing because it is very hard on the knees.

Fantastic Mumble :thumbs:

DH swam with sharks to raise money for the MDC, and really enjoyed it.

I've pondered with doing something, and saw a Trek The Sahara fundraising event, which looked fantastic.......but don't fly, and even if I did, don't think I have enough friends to cover the sponsorship.

I know what a big leap this is for you, and what a way to start the year off.

Will go check out your fundraising page....onward and upwards, as they say :D

Thanks everyone :D Glad to see I have support in my time of madness :wacko::lol:

They said you have to practice climbing because it is very hard on the knees.

Absolutly. I'm already training for Scafell - currently I'm practicing the 'eating plenty of snacks to maintain energy levels' part!! :eat::lol:

DH swam with sharks to raise money for the MDC, and really enjoyed it.

And I thought I was mad!!!

But did the sharks enjoy it/him? :unsure::P

:lol: Totally human friendly ones, at Blue Reef Aquarium. Kiddies thought dad was "James Bond" and he earnt some serious cool points :lol: I was a tad put out though, because I expected him to climb out and hand me a box of Milk Tray :whistle:

He said the eels scared him more :lol:

One positive (:unsure:) I have going for me this time is that it's on my birthday (yes, I do realise that the 'normal' involves drinks :wine:, food :eat: and friends :gather:, not wet, windy and outdoors!

It's my birthday on the 6th May, and I've sponsored you. So I will drink :wine:, food :eat: and friends :gather:,

and you can be wet, windy and outdoors!

Chocolate brownies pack well, so you could still have cake, but stay off :wine::cheers::drunk: or you might fall off some goat track or other.

I once shared a house with a german postgrad who had climbed Kilimanjaro, and loved it.

He was very...fit :wub: so the scenery might be even better than you expect if you do go.

Edited by Bard

Kilamanjaro - PAH!

We used to HOP up and down it for fun...

With knapsacks full of lead on our backs, just to make it interesting...

With our eyes shut...

In wellies...

In the rain...

Try telling that to the youth of today............

;)

Make sure you go up the right mountain, Mumble, - remember Greenwich! ;):)

I dunno, you make one small inccy winccy little mistake that actually benefits the health of others by giving them an extra workout in walking up two mountains and people insist on bringing it up time and again . . . :P:whistle:

Anyway, I thought we'd decided that they'd actually moved the observatory, not that we lead others up the wrong hill!! :devil:

In wellies...

In the rain...

Well yes, it would be a bit silly to wear wellies if it's not raining . . . ;) (or had been raining in the recent past . . .)

A BIG thankyou to everyone who has sponsored me - I really really really really appreciate it!! >:D<<'>

Sounds good. Will sponser you at some point. Remind me if I forget. Will also try and convince my brother to do the same. Are you taking donations directly. If so are you planning on coming to a meetup soon? If you are I might give you cash in hand instead.

Now what do we sponser? Do I double it if Mumble decides to do it in a Penguin suite? Um hard questions. Will have to think on this one.

Good luck and as I said if nearer the time I still haven't sponsered you remind me to. I know my memory can be unreliable at times. A 'nasty' ;) message should do the trick. :) (Not that I believe you'd ever do such a thing.)

If so are you planning on coming to a meetup soon?

Depends when, where and where - i'm v. v. busy but would like to get to one if south enough.

Now what do we sponser? Do I double it if Mumble decides to do it in a Penguin suite?

I'm just glad you picked on the penguin thing rather than it being my birthday!!! :o How about I do it eating penguins?? :eat::lol:

A 'nasty' ;) message should do the trick. :) (Not that I believe you'd ever do such a thing.)

You really don't know me very well!!!! :devil::whistle: Now must get back to composing my email to Disability Witch :devil:

I'm just glad you picked on the penguin thing rather than it being my birthday!!! :o How about I do it eating penguins?? :eat::lol:

Or perhaps in a penguin suite with a big party hat on and loads of streamers all over you. ;):D That might be worth 4x :)

EDIT: Forgot naturally you have to be eating penguins as well. :D

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Given the multiple requests for proof of a penguin up a mountain, any ideas where to get a Mumble suit from?? :unsure: (although perhaps a rockhopper would be more appropriate - shame the yellow feathered hair style doesn't suit me . . .)

Am beginning to regret this 'good idea' . . . :lol: :lol:

how about cheating and having a piccy of the famous choccy bar instead???? :whistle:

Heehee. Only problem with that being that there's a real danger of said choccy bar being consumed before I make it to the top!! :eat::lol:

Thought I'd bump this back up a bit. Just checked your "thermometer", Mumble - tis getting redder! :thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks krystaltps! :thumbs: I know - 'tis lookin good. Clearly peeps on this forum want shot of me for a while :lol: :lol: :P

Hi all :D

Found my thread after much searching - I dunno, these people who give illogical nonsense titles to their threads :lol:

Anyway - last chance to rid the place of me for a while - thought I'd just bump this up in case anyone had 'forgotten' :whistle::devil:

I really now need to focus on getting well to do this - without over-doing it - I think it will be good motivation, actually, and although I'm really scared about spending the weekend with a load of people I don't know, I am also looking forward to it. :)