Sign in to follow this  
bluejean-genie

Good news today!

I hope you don't mind!! but I feel so relieved today as I have had a visit from the EWO and she told me that the school have agreed to Nat dropping French and PE as long as we collect him and return him back to school after these lessons. :thumbs:

The school's request for Nat to have a statutory assessment has been sent today and the EWO said that the Senco has sent the LEA a very indepth report regarding Nat's difficulties.

I sincerely hope this is now the turning point , because Nat is so down at present and yesterday he asked could he see a Psychiatrist because of how he is feeling.

I feel so relieved today as I have had a visit from the EWO and she told me that the school have agreed to Nat dropping French and PE

Brilliant news BJG!!! :thumbs:

as long as we collect him and return him back to school after these lessons. :thumbs:

;) sorry BJG, but I still think this is an issue for the school to address. The school ought to provide your son with an alternative measure of support during his disapplied lessons, I know... I sound like a repeating riffle... :rolleyes:

On the whole though, an achievement, so well done! :thumbs::clap:

:groupwave:

CONGRATULATIONS.

Not wishing to pee on your bonfire in any way, but I'd just say I'm in agreement with the 'repeating riffle' above about the trips home and back -hugely disruptive all round... I'd take a slightly different tack, though, and wait a term (until the general principal of disapplication is firmly established) before tackling it, otherwise they'll be looking for an excuse to pull the plug...

Bubbly and chocolate all round though! :D

Excellent news! :dance:

But I'm afraid I agree with Helen :unsure: My son's old mainstream school tried this with us over being withdrawn from PE :angry:

We pointed out this was discrimination and a form of illegal exclusion, and they backed down. If a child was unable to access PE because of a serious medical condition they wouldn't be expected to go home.

Sorry Bads, but we actually challenged the school straight away about this. I'm not sure it's a good idea to wait because then they can just say 'but you've been quite happy with the arrangement so far!!'

Interestingly, we never had any problem with him being disapplied from a modern foreign language, which happened first. It was the PE which caused all the problems :(

Good luck...and don't feel as though they are doing you some kind of huge favour. You are perfectly within your legal rights to have these lessons disapplied!

Bid :fight: in fighting mood!!

Edited by bid

My son has been excused from PE and he stays home as it is first thing monday morning.

I can understand where you are all coming from as regards the school but my son and I are just delighted he does not have to do PE.

So I do understand how BJG feels.

Thank you all for your replies,

I WAS absolutely thrilled when she told me the news and I didn't really think about the implications of what was being proposed as it appeared that the school had really compromised!! :thumbs: but since talking to Nat tonight about it, he was horrified that he has to be collected and delivered back at school as we only live across the road (about 3 minutes away) now he's worried that the children in the entrance hall will see him ("runners" for the receptionist ect.) and he will be made fun of. Oh, how I wish I could get things right!! :( I now realise I probably agreed too quickly. (Nat refused point blank to come downstairs to talk to her despite our best effforts of bribery)

Don't feel bad >:D<<'>

I was phoned at 7.45 in the morning(!!!!!) by my son's Head of Year saying of course he could be withdrawn from PE, but that we would have to take him home!

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I would probably agree to anything at that time on a school morning, trying to get 4 children ready to go!

It was only after I posted here and as a result contacted the Disability Rights Commission that I realised I had been 'stitched up'!

Over the weekend we wrote a letter to the Head pointing out the error of the school's way :devil: .

The school backed down very quickly, but I was confronted with 'but you seemed quite happy when I phoned...' from the Head of Year! Yeah, right!!

So, don't feel that you've got it wrong >:D<<'>

You achieved something brilliant for your son...now you just need to fine tune it!

Incidentally, my son worked in the library during his disapplied lessons, or sometimes in the SENCO's room...you could suggest this to the school?

Good luck!

Bid :wacko:

I found the Disability Rights Commission helpline very good over this issue (08457 622633). They gave me the correct phrases to use when talking to the school :devil:

Hello BJG,

No need to panic or worry, get the written confirmation of the school's intention to disapply your son from the French and PE lessons, once you have done that, leave it for a day or two and then go back to the school and make the school aware of your son's anxiety in relation to him not wanting to be forced into an un-necessary situation where he could be judged by his peers and become a target of humiliation and embarrassment.

The reason why I suggest you don't mention at the moment your son's 'horror' of the school's outlined suggestion of him taking time out of school is because as you don't have anything in writing at the moment, the school could re-consider its decision and go back on its word in allowing the disapplication.

If you're feeling a little cautious, ask the EWO to act on your behalf, to obtain a written confirmation of your son's disapplication as soon as possible - stress to the EWO the importance of your son seeing this information in 'black and white' as he would consider this as being official and hopefully it will begin to reduce his anxieties.

Edited by Helen

Thank you bid for your reply,

unfortunately I don't have the reason of a early morning call because it was 11 o'clock. I think I will have to learn to put my brain in gear before I go agreeing to anything. :lol: Thank you for your advice it was really helpful.

Hi Helen,

thank you so much for your reply. :)

Nat isn't back in school yet as he is still school refusing so I will ask the EWO to help or maybe the home/school liason officer. What you have suggested certainly makes an awful lot of sense.

I too worry about what I have agreed to as next year my son's timetable could be different, but the school have been very helpful and they did ask us what my son would prefer and he wanted to stay at home as he would come to the attention of other kids if he was in school but not in PE :unsure: