Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

Son keeps calling people by the wrong name!

Over the past wee while M has been calling his classmates/afterschool club individuals/his little sister by the wrong name ie Toy and then their name.

He is getting sent out of the classroom and is getting put on the naughty step at home. It is driving us up the wall.

He is also got his obsession by wires and pylons and telephone masts. He has the wii cable blue tacked to the television and hanging off the sofa ( we do watch him all the time when he is doing this).

It might not seem much but it is driving us up the wall.

Thanks for reading

Forbsay

Edited by forbsay

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> i know what its like when they have an annoying habbit!!! O is always sniffing really loud ive learnt to block it out!!!!! Your son would LOVE where we live there is a huge thing (dont know what its called) down at the bottom of our road all metal fenced of with loads of pylons :thumbs:

Dunno whether this would be a good idea or a bad one...

pylons

But them in his bedroom with some string strung along might solve the wi cable problem?

Names - Ben has huge probs relating faces to names/remembering names along with many on the spectrum... If this has been/is an issue for your littlun the 'cat' bit could be a tactic he's developed to buy a split seconds thinking time or a 'stress release' that allows him to disable the mental block he has around these things(?)

L&P

BD :D

Alex used to cover his bedroom floor in 3D pylons that he'd make out of paper/card/Sellotape. It was one of his earliest obsessions. It went from pylons to sharks, then dinosaurs. We had them everywhere.

Hi BD

that is really interesting about your reply re names. It is weird because he knows their names and this new habit has just recently started.

Thanks

forbsay

My son used to have lots of old wire, sockets, etc to play with. He would "plug" them in under the cushions. He did know not to play with the real ones though.

Funny - my eldest used to do that all the time!! plugs went into drawers, under settee cushions - anywhere except plug sockets - that is one thing I drilled into him from an early age - not to touch plug sockets! He has always been obsessed with electrics - trying to get behind checkout counters to look at the electric tills, pushing past the doctor to look at his PC and printer!

He also had a difficulty with names - he still doesn't know his classmates names, except for about 3 that he considers his friends. He always used to get his uncles names mixed up - but then he doesn't see them very often. He even goes through stages where he calls me a different name - Trudy was his favourite! :huh:

He has always been obsessed with electrics - trying to get behind checkout counters to look at the electric tills, pushing past the doctor to look at his PC and printer!

My son still scans a room to suss out it's electrical set up.

He is now very good at fixing things, so it was worth it.

Pylons, wires, masts! My son can describe 150 mile journeys in terms of pylons and masts and where they all are! We're sick of them. We also have the 'going behind checkout', etc to check wires and also pipes. All new environments have to be inspected. I try to go with the flow, but if we get into a one sided conversation about pylons I've started telling him I'm bored and don't want to hear anymore about them. Then he shuts up! Maps are his latest obsession -and he's worked out where all the McD's are and pylons!!!

Sue

He is still callng the boys in his class different names and this making them all upset.

He gets removed from the classroom and I do the same at home when he does this.

I am wondering if it is a phase and he will move onto something else soon.

forbsay

He is still callng the boys in his class different names and this making them all upset.

He gets removed from the classroom and I do the same at home when he does this.

I am wondering if it is a phase and he will move onto something else soon.

forbsay

I was just pondering...if he is still being removed from the classroom when he calls the boys different names...and he keeps on doing it.. perhaps the school need to review whether removal is achieving anything.Karen.

Thanks Karen, the teacher say his name calling has reduced a bit. I personally think it is a new habit that he has got

He has also got 2 teachers and I am going to find out if he does it with the other teacher as well.

Forbsay

He is still doing this in class and in the house. He was calling his little sister names in the car.

I thought right - enough is enough. Have taken his "wires" off him so that he can't make his pylons in the house. I was thinking that he was going to have a major meltdown but he is being very well behaved at the moment.

He knows he will get his wires back if he is good at school tomorrow so we shall see if this works!

He is still doing this and it is driving me absolutely nuts. I have just had a phone call from afterschool club about his behaviour there as well.

I shout at him when he has been flooding the kitchen when playing waterfalls in the sink and this is prob where he is getting it from....................... I don't shout at him very often and now i feel guilty. I don't know if it is something to do with the fact that he knows that i am in the house today with his little sister and he wants to come home. he was put out this morning when he found out that she was not going to nursery.

As i said before, it might not seem much but it is driving me nuts.

He was ok after they phoned me............

Edited by forbsay