David Matthew Baker

Munro Bagging

A meer 284 of them. Shouldn't take us long. ;):whistle::whistle:

Okay when are we starting?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

If we were to do littler walks like Baggy's I'd probably have to combine it with something else, make it a long weekend as I'd have to stay up there somewhere, YH or such like.

Bard, I may have to take you to task on your definition of 'mountain' :):P

DMB - The SYHA runs week long courses in mountain leadership - They seem quite good - very intense though.

Bard, I may have to take you to task on your definition of 'mountain' :):P

It's not my definition, it's theirs!

England's Highest Mountains

The full list of every English mountain over 2,000 feet. How many have you climbed?

'The list reflects the 'English Nuttalls' classification. This list was compiled by John and Anne Nuttall in their book 'The Mountains in England and Wales, Volume 2 - England'. Their classification includes mountains which are over 2,000 feet high with a rise on all sides of 50 feet. I have selectively excluded lower sub peaks of a named host mountain from this compilation, e.g. Bowfell North Top - an insignificant crag (not even named on OS maps) on the north facing slope of Bowfell. In all there about 10 such omissions.'

I used to ride my horse up over Roseberry topping way! Did my instructor training at Eston and kept my horse there! Doesn't have to be a Sunday for me if its going to be local like that.

No that wasn't a type error. Apparently they need to build back up. Bangs head off rock.

:ph34r: Coming out of hiding...

Do you mind! Yes, I might need to build back up but remember I'm up and down stairs all day and as a result could give you a run for your money at the moment...

Length easy, ankle deep swampy mud was main issue yesterday, miraculously did not end up sitting in mud.

Jaffa cakes and mug of tea are yummy...

Hello by the way. :blink:

Oh sounds like a challenge. Inglebrough it is then. :devil:

Been serious yes building up is a good idea but can manage further than we did yesterday. The hill near Bagpuss is probably a good idea. I'd be happy to do it next weekend. I'd suggest we are flexible on the route and see how people are going though. The one given on the website is quite long as a first walk but would be possible if taken at a relaxed pace. It certainly work up a sweat and get the old heart active.

I prefer Saturdays in one way. I don't miss Sunday lunch. Can smell it already. Better go and get ready for it. See you all later.

BTW Antonia you need [ /quote ] at the end of a quote without the spaces in it for it to display properly.

Incase anyone hasn't guessed Antonia is the friend I go walking and to the cinema with.

Edit: I'm getting worried. Looks like this forum is getting invaded by my family and friends. First my bro now Antonia. Who is a physics teacher by the way.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

It's not my definition, it's theirs!

I know, I know, I wasn't getting at you. The thing is that 'mountain' isn't actually defined in geological terms - I'll get my sister to explain once she recovers from the frostbite :ph34r:

I'm getting seriously jealous of all you peeps who live within easy travelling distance of a)each other and b)good walks :(

Bogs, huh, DMB :huh: Remind me not to go walking with you - my sister's very keen on the "you go first, Mumble, I'm sure it's not very deep" line. Result - soggy boots for the rest of the week :(

Sunday lunch though - that's something I do do!! :eat: Mine should be ready in half and hour but I have lots of writing to get done before then :eat::eat1:

Who is a physics teacher by the way.

A nice physics teacher who lets you go off on your own in the corner of the lab and investigate chaotic motion in a double pendulum :ph34r: or a nasty physics teacher who insists you sit in a group with the other pupils and learn about radioactive decay and do 'group stuff' when you're not interested? I had both, but the second type one really put me off :(

That ones probs a bit far for a day trip for us, however I've bookmarked the website! :thumbs:

:oops: Just realised I missed an entire page of this. Which walk is happening? If Ingleborough, we could certainly do that. Aaaah limestone pavements - geography field trip 1971 - clints & grikes - the only other thing I remember is how oxbow lakes are formed.

Edited by pearl

Bog?! It was just a little muddy due to the recent rain and the local sheep using it as a motorway. I went first each time in anycase. It was however a case of plodding straight through it. Boots ended up muddy but most of that will brush off. It helps make them softer and more supple according to my mum in anycase. It's not as if it was an acidic peat bog. I do like walking on the moors though. I tend to be good at finding a way across and staying dry. If I do fail I tend to do it in spectacular fashion. Remember once finding a bit I couldn't see an easy way across. Tried jumping it which due to landing in it turned into a summersault. Only ended up a little wet and it dried fairly fast. Rest of group found it highly amusing. Tend to be more sensible now days though. Tuft of grass to tuft of grass is the way to do it.

A nice physics teacher who lets you go off on your own in the corner of the lab and investigate chaotic motion in a double pendulum :ph34r: or a nasty physics teacher who insists you sit in a group with the other pupils and learn about radioactive decay and do 'group stuff' when you're not interested? I had both, but the second type one really put me off :(

Her pupils tend to say to her they enjoy physics most out of all of the sciences and find it good fun. She uses clips from Pirates that include Johnny Depp in some of her teaching in between other stuff. She has been helping with girls into physics research and is nationally published. I know one of the girls who enjoys the lessons is diagnosed with aspergers. When I've seen her teach she is very good. Just at times lacks in confidence. That is improving though.

So are we going to Castle Bagpuss next Saturday. I'd suggest a morning start (10ish) and a picnic on the summit. That should give us plenty of time to take it at a nice relaxed pace.

Don't think we are quite ready for Inglebrough yet but in a few weeks time maybe. First need to start on something easy. Inglebrough has one or two slightly interesting parts to it's accent. I seem to remember a very short scramble in a valley to get onto the first plateau. Nothing too hard though. Do you think you could make Teesdale Pearl. Plan on doing Cow Green to Bowlees soon.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

So are we going to Castle Bagpuss next Saturday.

:tearful: :tearful: Any chance you could put these hills on wheels and bring them a little further South? :(

Do you think you could make Teesdale Pearl

I think thats a bit far for a day trip for us, let us know about Ingleborough as thats nearer. Have fun!

Sorry, definately a nasty physics teacher... I do a lot of group work for experiments and random stuff (usually an experiment every lesson if I can). :bounce:

By the way, despite what David says (he's only seen me teach once), I'm not a very good teacher and most of my pupils still hate physics, but I'm getting used to that now.

Slightly off this topic, but can anyone recommend any good walks, preferably with a bit of a hill, anywhere between 8 - 18 miles within sensible travelling distance of London easily accessible by public transport (preferably train) - i.e. possible to travel, walk and travel back (doesn't have to be same start and finish point). :)

I know one Yorkshire Dales walk that is fairly easy. It starts and finishes at Askrigg in Wensleydale (about 4 miles down the valley from Hawes). It is a short walk at around 3.5 miles and whilst it involves some climbing there is nothing too difficult. A few roots grow across the path and I could see it been slippy if wet. There is one easily assessable waterfall and one mentioned in the guide book that I couldn't find the correct path to though it could be avoided all together as my mum did. I got to it by walking down a steep bank. There was a path at the bottom but I never found how it linked to the other path. Instead I scrambled down the river bed on the way back from the fall. The fall itself had the potential to be impressive but there was too little water coming over it for this to be the case.

We could swap to that for the coming weekend. My only query would be I'm driving and haven't done any since been off sick. My back is a lot better but I don't know how it would cope with a long drive. There is an alternative driver in my car though. Certainly one for a future week if we don't do it this weekend. The other Y. Dale walks I know tend to be around the 8mile mark. Probably not ideal for this early on. R. Topping can easily be reduced in length if I need to.

I'm happy to navigate. Need to locate the correct map though. Can't see it here so guess it is round my dad's.

We have the Weardale and Teesdale 1:25,000 O.S. map, the North York Moors (think this maybe 2 maps not sure. Have maps for the entire area though, again at 1:25,000), the 2 maps for the Yorkshire Dales (Outdoor Leisure 2 & 30 from memory) and the 4 maps that cover the Lake District. Then have the Explorer O.S. map for Durham (1:25,000). Can't remember what else is in our collection but there are a few others. I think one of them is for part of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path. Also have 1:50,000 O.S. coverage of the most of the North. From Scarbrough to Berwick. Don't have all the west coast but again have complete coverage of the Lakes. Maps on phone are there as a backup though. Also quite nice as can get G.P.S. to track the route and then I think view it with something like Google Earth.

Hello peeps,

Would you mind if I gave this Saturday a miss?

Excema began flaring up last night, and this morning it is slowly creeping down my neck. Feel pooh, look pooh...too embarrassed to go out today :(

Feel awful bowing out, as I'd suggested we walk near here, but I'm worried if I leave it to see how I feel, I'll end up cancelling at the last minute, and letting others down.

Sorry :(

David, the wind here is atrocious (and no, I don't mean mine :lol: ). Don't know what the weather forecast is for tomorrow, but I'd give it a miss if I were you if it's anything like today.

Did you get out for a walk yesterday David?

We ended up doing a short local one. Theres a place near us called Yarrow Valley - it used to be an industrial place where they bleached cotton cloth, & has now been returned to nature. The weir was spectacular because of all the rain - millions of gallons of peaty water raging down, perfectly calm above. And there are fish steps, and last year the first salmon in living memory was seen jumping up them! :thumbs:

Sorry I couldn't make it David. What I thought was my excema flaring up, has turned into something different altogether :unsure:

Think it may be a reaction to the steriods the GP prescribed...but have what looks like appalling acne on my neck, ears and face :blink:

Hope I can make the next one :thumbs: Maybe I could just wear a balaclarva :whistle:

Did you get out for a walk yesterday David?

We ended up doing a short local one. Theres a place near us called Yarrow Valley - it used to be an industrial place where they bleached cotton cloth, & has now been returned to nature. The weir was spectacular because of all the rain - millions of gallons of peaty water raging down, perfectly calm above. And there are fish steps, and last year the first salmon in living memory was seen jumping up them! :thumbs:

Yes went for a 3 mile walk starting and finishing at Penshaw monument. From there headed down to the river Wear and then followed it along. Quite a climb on the way backup to Penshaw. Need to keep getting out as back had a few problems with that climb. The Wear was fairly full too. Half tempted to see if dad is free (could do with more than one vehicle) next Saturday and go upto Cow Green. From there can head down past Cauldron Snout (in my opinion the best of the falls) and onto High Force and Low Force. Quite a nice walk and not too much climbing as would be going down the valley.

Yes went for a 3 mile walk starting and finishing at Penshaw monument. From there headed down to the river Wear and then followed it along. Quite a climb on the way backup to Penshaw. Need to keep getting out as back had a few problems with that climb. The Wear was fairly full too. Half tempted to see if dad is free (could do with more than one vehicle) next Saturday and go upto Cow Green. From there can head down past Cauldron Snout (in my opinion the best of the falls) and onto High Force and Low Force. Quite a nice walk and not too much climbing as would be going down the valley.

Oh, that sounds nice. I did a 12 mile walk today with my sister which was great, and we saw a lovely waterfall and only got semi-misplaced once :thumbs::lol:

Oh, that sounds nice. I did a 12 mile walk today with my sister which was great, and we saw a lovely waterfall and only got semi-misplaced once :thumbs::lol:

I like walks with waterfalls. :) One book I has just contains waterfall walks. I'm half tempted by Inglebrough in May as you can get lowered into the sink hole at Gaping Gill. It's lit and looks like an impressive fall.

you can get lowered into the sink hole at Gaping Gill.

I have a strange image in my head of people dangling each other down the hole by their ankles!!! :wacko::lol:

I like walks with waterfalls. :) One book I has just contains waterfall walks. I'm half tempted by Inglebrough in May as you can get lowered into the sink hole at Gaping Gill. It's lit and looks like an impressive fall.

It is... :sick:

But the Ingleborough waterfall walk is lovely, especially in Spring.