darky

Homework

My daughter is 8 and gets 20 mins of homework twice a week.

She hates homework and it causes a battle all the time. She finds it hard to focus and maintain concentration most days, and this leads to frustration and tantrums. It is supposed to be 20 mins but it always ends up being far more than that, more like 90 mins some nights or not at all! Homework causes so many problems that I am trying to find out if it is compulsory or not. She does have a statement and annual review is up soon, I am wondering if I can ask then for her to be excused from it.

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for replies. :notworthy:

I can relate to everything you have said about homework. We have similar scenarios with C.

You can ask that your DD does not receive homework, as 90 minutes twice a week is far too much for someone her age, but....

Perhaps it might be a good idea to talk to the class teacher about it first. She is probably totally unaware that it's taking DD 3 times longer than expected. Try to come to a compromise: DD does her 20 minutes and leaves it at that - if it's uncompleted then so be it. It may also give the teacher an idea as to how much homework to set her and what kinds of tasks so that it CAN be completed in 20 minutes. If her school work is differentiated then homework should be too.

C is supposed to do 15 minutes a day - I never let him go over that time limit.

Homework should be something that the child can share with the parent - it should be directly related to work the child has been doing in school and it should be aimed at broadening the understanding. It can also be fun - internet research about her topic, for example.

Some people don't see the value in homework, but I think it's valuable in that it helps set good habits for secondary school and college/university - when they will be spending time studying. Its better that they get used to having do some work at home at an early age than it coming as a total shock when they are older.

physical problems can be caused by overwork - lactose changes in particular

it may be completely inappropriate

C is supposed to do 15 minutes a day - I never let him go over that time limit.

Homework should be something that the child can share with the parent - it should be directly related to work the child has been doing in school and it should be aimed at broadening the understanding. It can also be fun - internet research about her topic, for example.

B enjoys homework, but he sees it as 1:1 with me supporting, and he has no additional needs. I agree with krystaltps.

I have Y3 and this is pasted into their homework books on the first page. (apologies if you've seen it before)

Homework is supposed to be helpful, useful and sometimes fun.

If for any reason you don't understand it, please ask me to explain again.

You are not allowed to panic, cry or worry about the homework.

If you are getting :tearful: shut the book and put it in your bag.

Come and tell me how you feel.

I'd talk to the teacher, get her to differentiate.

Edited by Bard

my son is 5.5 and gets reading homework every day, 10 spellings to write out every day and learn for friday spelling test and a daily diary that has to be written every day as well, also maths homework a sheet on a wednesday too, it has become a huge problem area ...he gets very distressed and stares at it getting more worked up, the daily diary is a total disaster, his teacher keeps talking to him about it and yet when he comes home he just wont/cant seem to attempt it. Ive tried talking to the teacher she says he has to do it after school as its good practise and good habit forming !!

hi

we had a real nightmare with reece he wont do anything outside school..thats got anything 2 do with school readcing homework, keywords ect.

we had major meltdowns and used to wreck our weekends so i spoke too everyone in his reveiw amnd explained everything and they let him not do it she still carried on putting it in his homework book but he hasnt done any of it..

now hes now doin it at school which he is happy with... at the mo lol

love donna xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the tips. I agree hw is good for habbits later in life especially seniors, my eldest lad is in grammar and although the homework I feel is excessive at times, (1 hour per subject per night) I do think it helps him to prepare for later life in studying and going to work.

But it takes my girl SO much effort to do anything acedemically at school let alone at home. That's one reason she has 32 hours a week support, to keep her focused and on task. Homelife is stressfull enough at the best of times, let alone adding to the pressure with homework! She is great with research and enjoys that, but it is the maths and English that she seems to get all the time that she struggles with! come annual review I am going to talk to them and ask if there is a compromise.

I know what a problem this can be >:D<<'> , we,ve had mega problems over the years.My son is now at an ASD unit and thankfully they organise his timetable so he has free time to do his homework at school This has been a temendous help to us as a family.When he was at primary school I got to the point where I told his teacher that I would try and motivate him to do his homework.But if it became a battle and a confrontation I would leave it,After he broke the table leg I said enough is enough , home life is precious enough.He would rant at everyone not let anyone make any noise and was vile to his sister all over homework , he,d snap pencils, throw his work, rip it up...it was awful stillsends a shiver through me now.He simply can,t cope with school entering his homelife.He hates school work any how so home work is the ultimate punishment.Best wishes suzex.

Hi.We had lots of battles over homework last year.It reached the point where all of the family dreaded the time for Ben to do it.We all ended up stressed because he was getting so frustrated.OH and myself agreed a set amount of time to be spent on homework starting with a realistic time for us and Ben.If Ben worked well and did not use tantrums to take up the time then he finished when time was up....even if he had not completed the work.We gradually increased the time as Ben felt less frustrated.

The other thing worth thinking about is whether the homework is differentiated to take account of your child's ability and SEN.If the work is too hard or not appropriate then you could raise the issue at the Annual review.Karen.

Darky the school should make reasonable adjustments due to her SEN concerning homework and it should meet her needs and expectations, we have written in detail the trauma homework is for J and how my house is destroyed and relationships in bits because of homework and they have agreed to adjustment to meet his needs, its part of the DDA in the Education Act and they are breaking the law if they are expecting her to do the same as her peers due to her statement.

J does not get any punishments if he has not managed his homework due to his challenging behaviour and aggression, and his homework is at a level he may achieve something in it, even if its away from the worksheet and looking throw a website and taking some information in to share.

J hates English and so this homework is done at school and not in breaks, and it is with 1-1 so he can access the worksheet due to his reading and focusing ability.

J does therefore do Maths of which he is very comfortable with and Science worksheets and take 7 mins to complete even if some questions are attempted he is praised.

Homework should not be a stressful, traumatic and time consuming thing, homework is designed for independant learning, something of which J is not at that attainment even in class so he wouldnt be expected to do this outside school.

There is some website information on why the goverment is Homework happy, but the overall aim is independant learning.

The school should not be placing any unessacary pressures and failure on a child.

JsMum

Hi All,

I know exactly where you are all coming from, my DS (7yrs) has 10 spellings , a A4 sheet of Maths and a Reading book weekly, doesnt sound like much - but it is a real nightmare trying to get him to do it,as you've all described already...

anyway, i read about a 'way' of trying to 'perswade' them to do something, any thing getting dressed/eating food/tidying toys/homework etc. basically i think is plain and simple bribery .... however iT worked! and DS was soooo proud he'd done his homeworked, and he was happy too.

it called ABA (i think) , you offer 'rewards'(these MUST be chosen by the child though) for the task being completed, these can be very inexpensive lpens/crayons/playdough or offering one to one time just you and he/she - walking the dog/playing a game/putting make-up on you/styling your hair, i baked cakes with DS he loved it !! and he got all his homework done!

1/ every time they are rewarded they earn a 3 points

2/ if they dont even try the task they get nothing - OR 1 point gets taken away from total earnt so far,

3/ if they do try, but cannot complete the task, they get only 2 points

at the end of the week the points get added up (will help if child can SEE them building up on a reward chart)

if they have MORE than (set amount) i.e. 6 , 9 , 12, 18 ect (YOU deciede on the figure the most suits your child - you can then increase it to make it harder as time goes by) then the child gets to CHOOSE a slightly LARGER reward like going to the cinema/bowling/swimming/small toy etc. - but it must be something THEY WANT and NOT what you would choose!!

and it must be there at the end of the week, the child should not have to wait for the reward.

pick up small things when you see them on offer, write notes with reward ideas, and pop them in a box/basket let the child choose though!! keep a good stock of them so you dont run out

worth a shot ?

mel xx

major headache tonight

my son came home with 2 sides of A4 english writing homework

2 sides of A4 maths homework,

2 magic key books to read,

10 spellings, a daily diary.

I mean I ASK YOU, he is 5.5 , i think that is far too much , i walked into school and he was all smiles , got out to the car and went berserk, practically beat the car up , pulled my hair whilst i was driving and went nuts, consequently we didnt get the homework done after school, it was all i could do to calm him down :tearful:

major headache tonight

That's ridiculous! Even one of those a night would be too much for a pupil in Year 1.

i know...i feel so much for him tonight, the english stuff was something he didnt manage to complete in class , its like they offer no allowances

major headache tonight

Don't do it... I mean even if he hadn't melted-down, you should refuse to co-operate with this.

There are guidelines - suggested amounts of homework as per age of child. The most you should expect in year 1 is a few pages of a reading book (plus any vocab that goes with it).

Edited by krystaltps

i have daily discussions with them about this for past two weeks, they sent home a motivational chart and a load of gold stars , the chart says I did my maths homework without fuss , i did my spellings quickly, etc and im meant to dish out stars ....at 5 pm he is just too tired to do this ....and theres no time in the morning....they just keep reiterating this issue of forming good habits...the english stuff was i think something he couldnt do in class today the rest was the daily homework with the addition of maths cos its wednesday

Hi Ryan's mum, your suggestions are great thanks for that. Thing is, we have tried many reward systems including a goodie bag, another one we tried was caught being good. I don't know what it is about reward systems with my girl in that, once the novelty has worn off, she just does not respond. She is not a child who is easily bribed, it depends on whether she fancies a reward or not. I could bribe her with anything but when she is in the mindset, she will not cooperate and I do think it is because she is just not able to. She also ups the ante all the time. Starts off on small rewards, but then she raises the stakes. The other problem we have with reward systems like goodie bags for lucky dip is she wants to be rewarded for every single little thing including activities she wants to do! When we went on holiday, we asked her if she wanted to go on bungie trampolies. She LOVES them. She said give me a reward and I will so I said go without then!! She stood there, arms folded frowning, we went to walk away from the trampolines and she said ok ok I will go on them then :rolleyes:

Allsetuk, that homework is far too much for such a young child. Ask the school for a copy of their homework policy. Here in Ireland we have set lengths of time for homework for different classes. My DD (NT) who has just started school has a max of 20 mins each day. When DS was having problems, we just sent in a note to say he had worked for the required time and then stopped.

With doing work that should have been done in school, I wouldn't do it. It isn't your problem. Let the teacher sort that one....

Allsetuk

that's a ridiculous amount of homework! I teach a year 4 class on a job share. I set them 1 piece of language per week and my job sharer sets them one piece of maths. The homework we set is achievable, hopefully fun and generally aims to consolidate work already covered. Like Bard has said in the past the children are very clear that it is not to be worried over or stressed about. I also run an 'open house' homework session on Friday lunchtimes where children can come and do/start homework in class if they prefer. This seems to work well for some. If homework is stressful then I would suggest that it's totally missing the point of what it should set out to achieve

Elun xx