Nic m

Daughter came home from school with a bruised cheek due to an accident

Hi everyone,

I am not really concerned about this but i am slightly annoyed.

My daughter got home from school today (my sis-in-law collects her) and came to my shop with a swollen and bruised cheekbone.

She had a standard slip to say she had had an accident but it was dealt with and it was just to inform me.

It was the result of an accident, she walked into a boy much smaller than her and she got hit by his head!

Anyway she is not distressed by it but is in pain.

I had to give her painkillers (which she rarely takes) and it looks like she will have a black eye.

I am annoyed that the school did not call me, am i being unreasonable?

Thanks for reading

nic

Ask to see the incident log that should have been completed after the incident, and check whether an icepack was used. Sometimes a child gets a wallop in school that doesn't appear to have caused any damage, then the bruising and swelling shows up a few hours later. Cheekbones tend to bruise up well.

Was she very distressed when it happened, or did she go back to class without a problem? I'm assuming it happened at lunchtime. Things like this are often a judgement call, and sometimes schools get it wrong.

Hi

no deffinatelt not ! I think if a child is marked or not themselves after a bump/fall ,what ever, the school should INFORM the Parents, then it SHOULD be up the the parents/carers IF the child should remain in school or not.

Who gives these teachers the right to deciede ? They can have between 30 - 35 children in a class, how are they meant to keep their 'eye' on 1 child ? Its impossible,

Sorry to moan , but this happens to my accident prone 'little man' all the time, wether its a bump on the head, or a cut on the knee - the School never ring me... he suffers with quite bad nose bleeds too (they can just happen on their own) well one week her had 3 of them, 3 times the school hadnt told me, and the 3rd one was very bad, he had actully swallowed blood,which made him vomit ... he came hom VERY distressed, and plastered from head to toe in blood !!

What the other chilren thought i dont know... it could frighten some children seeing someone covered in blood - and bless he's only 7 yrs old !!

Anyway , needless to say i went POTTY, and made it VERY clear that i was not going to stand for this, that i should of been informed , and that, whenever any of my 4 children have ANY kind of accident i wish to know Straight away, so that I can make the decision wether they should stay in school or not.

I dont think it will happen again LOL,

mel xx

Maybe the bruise wasn't as bad while your daughter was still in school? And maybe her reaction was really calm so they didn't feel it was an emergency?! I hope she and you are ok? >:D<<'>

On Wednesday this week, my son was involved in an accident at school...after lunch he was in the playground and apparentely took an awkward footing and ending up tripping up and landing headfirst onto a brick wall! :crying:

The school were very concerned, and decided hospital treatment was the answer, so called my Hubby's phone and couldn't get through (he works on a dock and sometimes his signal just goes off!) and then me......no answer (I will reveal why...), so as a last resort they called my semi estranged MIL and she collected him and took him to hospital to be checked over. I arrived home from my day and having collected my DD from pre-school, to be told by a neighbour that somebody had been banging my door down earlier in the afternoon , after getting a description I realised who it was, so I rang my MIL only to hear El humming in the background?! :o .....she explained the school had been phoning me and I replied I never had ANY calls?! :wacko: So she told me what had occured and that El was ok, but gave me a bit of telling off of sorts....I asked her give me ten minutes and I would call her back....

I rang the school to find out their side, to be told they had rung my OLD mobile number that I stopped using four months ago.....they had the NEW one but somewhere down the line, it had been missed when calling me....hence me not getting any calls! Fair Play to them they apologised and I was happy with that, but felt and still feel a terrible let down to El (through no fault of my own, I know!)

I then rang MIL back and she made me feel like a naughty child for daring to go out during school hours, she returned El, also arrived at same time as DH coming home...they haven't seen or spoken to each other in almost three years, so that was er, a bit awkward! :blink::lol:

El was fine, full of beans and was fine at school today, I went in with him as his consultant was doing her three monthly checks today, and on getting there some of staff mentioned the MIL and her 'FORMIDABLE' character.....At this I laughed, and said to one of the staff, "Say what you really mean?"....cue raised eyebrows and a shriek of horror! :lol:;)

Their list is now fully updated and as grateful as I am to MIL, I think it's best for the teachers ears that she stays away! :ninja:

OH, and El's head is a lovely shade of green, yellow and blue....like a cyclops with a map of asia on it (the grazing is very artistic!), he's fine, thanks goodness and ACCIDENTS do happen! And thankfully it was relatively minor..... :pray:

Edited by ellisisamazing

This appears to be a common problem, and WRONG!

My duaghter fell at school and it was bad enough they put her arm in a sling, the school didn't call me and they have all uptodate numbers because they left a message about something else. Whilst I was at the localish A & E having her arm checked out a man came with in his daughter who had broken fingers. Yep her school didn't bother to call about that either and left her until she was collected at the end of school.

I think we all realise that accidents do occur BUT the schools have no right to hide the more serious ones from the parents, explaining it by a slip of paper!

Just managed to delete everything i typed.

Anyway, thank-you everyone, hayley is fine now.

I called the school, this is how they would normally deal with it.

It was at lunchtime, Bard and they had a few accidents, and an ice pack was applied.

Now her face, i cannot believe has just a small red mark . I used some aromatherapy oils last night as i had no arnica cream and i am now in wonder at them.

Hayley is still sore and is off school, because she has a cold and is sneezing and coughing and blowing her nose, and it is hurting her cheek.

Now that i am sure there is no broken bones i feel better.

Thanks again everyone.

nic

My duaghter fell at school and it was bad enough they put her arm in a sling, the school didn't call me and they have all uptodate numbers because they left a message about something else. Whilst I was at the localish A & E having her arm checked out a man came with in his daughter who had broken fingers. Yep her school didn't bother to call about that either and left her until she was collected at the end of school.

I think we all realise that accidents do occur BUT the schools have no right to hide the more serious ones from the parents, explaining it by a slip of paper!

I agree we have a right to know.....but I have to say I was surprised to recieve a call last summer to tell me Ellis had a tiny splinter that had been removed by the school nurse!!!

In that instance a note would have been adaquate, but I am happy to be safe in the knowledge my son is attending a safety conscious school!

Hi

I'd be annoyed too given lasting effects ie black eye and pain! I'd also want to know that the pupil that caused the injury was dealt with in an appropriate manner.

Caroline.

caroline, it was an accident, i think more hayley's fault she wasn't looking where she was going and walked right into the wee boy's head!

thanks

nic

caroline, it was an accident, i think more hayley's fault she wasn't looking where she was going and walked right into the wee boy's head!

thanks

nic

Ooops! Sorry, I've got a nasty habit of not reading things properly.

C.

DD fractured her arm at school a few years ago and the teacher did not even notice - just sent a terse not home in the home school book saying that she had made a big fuss about a fall - oh and by the way she had been refusing to write all afternoon :wacko::wacko: - well duh!

It gave quite a lot of pleasure to wipe the smile off the teacher's face when I rung the next day to say that she had broken her arm.

I agree, all incidents should be logged, parents informed if it seems serious. Sometimes it's hard to tell, and for every parent who wants to be kept informed of everything there's another who won't collect a sick child or hasn't made provision for them.

We had one today who spent from 11am outside the office with a green face, a bucket and one of my baby blankets wrapped round her. Parents were at work and no one would come for her until 3.30pm How sad is that?

Thats a wee shame isn't it bard.

I just cant bear the thought of Hayley holding in how she is feeling because i am not there.

nic