mumble_rocks

A little help please!

I need a little help please!

Long story cut short! I am in my second year of college. Last year the college refused to take our group off site as apprently insurence meant I had to be on one-one ratio! This year in all my lessons I am on one-one ratio with the same person, she is also a qulified outdoor instuctor so can come off site meating the one-one ratio, this has meant I can go Kayaking, surfing, climbing ect. The only reason I need a support is to explain things differently and repetitivly. Which I completly understand and I acshally get on well with her anyway and can ask her if I need to know what is happening next ect.

In September we were told about a Ski Trip residentail that is taking place in Jan 08 in Italy, I put my name down and everything all was going well paid money in and then in Nov the guy running it turned round and said I couldnt go on the grounds of asthma (which we had a dx of but turns out to be panic attacks, at the time we thought it was asthma) anyway they were still letting others with asthma go! Turns out the guy running it wanted to tak his girlfriend who would also be an extra female leader, this meant my TA couldnt go as a consiquence nor could I!

Anyway I excepted this (well kind of!) becuase yes at the time we thought it was asthma give them the benifit of the doubt. This week the gorup are skiing on the trip I wasnt allowed on so I have been given the week off :(! But been thinking, that I am fed up with how I keep get treated as another example coming up is the Basic Exped Leader Award that has a residentail aspect of it, the college are turning round and saying i cant go no reason given but apprently I am not allowed to do it!

Anyway, I have decided to write a letter explaining that I feel discriminated by them and feel that I should be allowed to take part in the activitys that everyone else is being offered and the fact of the one-one shouldnt come into it!!! Thats down to them to sort??

Thing is I want to put part of the DDA in it to show that they are discriminating and should be making responable adjustments such as paying the TA to do weekends to allow me to do it as it is there policy I have to have one-one! I can manage without if the teacher is willing to understand AS a lil more!

Does anyone know which part of the DDA I can quote to back this up??

Thanks and sorry its so long, I am just feeling really low about myself as a conquence of how college is treating me!

Sorry to hear about this. Smacks of discrimination to me. Just a suggestion though, have you thought about contacting the Disability Rights people (DRC) because they would give you some advice and even let you have a draft letter to send. Good luck.

Hi,

I have just recently put a letter about discrimination my son had. I quoted reasonable adjustment (which had been refused) and informed them that he was covered with the disibility rights commision.

They soon addressed the situation which I was amazed at, its the best response I've had so far.

Good luck.

Angel.

I dont know much about the legalities of it MR, but it certainly looks like they are discriminating against you & I think you are right to protest >:D<<'>

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (which incorporates the old DRC) will have the information that you need.

Here is a link to the page on disability and education - you will see a link to education over the age of 16.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/your...1Education.aspx

If you need further advice on your particular situation, they have a helpline and email advice service (I've used the latter myself to make an enquiry about a college matter, and found it very useful).

Good luck

K x

Edited by Kathryn

You could also give the human right commision a ring, they are very nice people. Tell them what has gone on and they will tell you if you have a case, which it does sound like. BUT beware the statement 'health and safety grounds' will probably be used as a reason and you have to prove that it does not apply...well if others were going with asthma and and that's the reason they used then they don't have a leg to stand on!

I don't know which parts of what you would quote, but you've got helpful advice above. However what I would say is that if they accepted you on the course, then in doing so they were saying they could accomodate you. Your course is outdoor ed and you need support with your course, therefore you should get support with all the key components, which includes residential trips.

Mumble

From my experience with my son the universities/colleges assume that you will just except what they decide and once you get outside help in you will find a different attitude from them. In my case my son tried to deal with it himself and it was only when he became totally frustrated that I stepped in and the meetings where quite confrontational until they realised you were not going away.

I even had a quote from the special needs co-ordinator "you people are all the same asking me to do things, I have hundreds of these things (special needs requirement statements) and its difficult for me......" . Well not sure if I overreacted but that statement made me flip, and I told him that those forms represented peoples lives, long journeys fighting to get to university and I wasn't happy with him dismissing them as almost a nuisance factor to him.

We had to stop the meeting because it got so heated and I think the co-ordinator realised he had overstepped the mark with his comments and when they came back we sorted out help going forward. The shame is that wouldn't have come about without my intervention. I think they feel they can fob the students off which probably works 9 out of 10 times but once they realise that you have got external help in you should find them more co-operative.

Edited by Kinda

Well, I have decided that I feel so rubbish tonight and my slef essteem is really low! All because college keep putting extra barriers in the way of me achieving! I have had it! I am going to speak to Student services tomorrow and see what they say, I am also going to ask about how I go about asking for an investigation into these cases of discrimination! I am very sure that they are at fault!

I may also ask the lecture whos in charge of the Basic Expedition Leader Award what aspect of the learning diffuclties/medical conditions that are not as searious as we thought! He has a problem with! If there still is a problem I should not be stopped from going and then the college are then to get me the support I require to allow me to fully participate in the activities! :)

I just gotta hope I keep it allthoughter as at the mo when ever I speak about it I get all :crying: I am that angry that I am not being allowed to particpate in soemthing that has changed me for the better!!

Well spoke to a few of the people who went on the ski trip today as it was they first day back since they were skiing. One of the girls told me that a group of them werre talking and saying thats it a pity I wasnt there with them! The lecturer who was running the trip turned round and said well she wouldnt have got that much out of it and she would have been holding the group up and preventing them from learning more!

Sarah the one who was telling me then turned back to him and started saying that I may not have learnt as much as everyone else but I would have achieved alot more then everyone, and if they had got me 1-1 I would have been able to go and also then have been able to have worked at a slower pace!

When we were watching the vidio today I was :whistle: trying to put on a brave face and showing I was pleased that they had a good time!

After this I was told that my lesson were cancelled for tomorrow to allow those that went to chill out for the day! I DONT NEED ANOTHER DAY OFF!

Jokerly said to my TA not another B*oody day off, I am going instane! One of the lecturers who were also on the trip and heard what was said between sarah and the lecturer whilst on the trip. Invited me to go walking with her and a group that she was teaching tommorrow! :) Maybe things have started sinking in!

But i did also make the appointment for tomorrow at 2:30pm with the head of student services! Lets hope I dont get :crying:

Oh MR >:D<<'> I can't believe they made you sit and watch the video of them skiing :wallbash:

One of the girls told me that a group of them werre talking and saying thats it a pity I wasnt there with them! The lecturer who was running the trip turned round and said well she wouldnt have got that much out of it and she would have been holding the group up and preventing them from learning more! Sarah the one who was telling me then turned back to him and started saying that I may not have learnt as much as everyone else but I would have achieved alot more then everyone, and if they had got me 1-1 I would have been able to go and also then have been able to have worked at a slower pace!

Well, trying to think positively, it sounds to me that you have good peer support which is great :thumbs: That lecturer is being unprofessional and I would have no qualms about naming him to whoever needs to know. It sounds like he's the one with issues, not anyone else :angry: I don't know how/if I would cope with that - I know I am sooooo fortunate to have wonderful lecturers myself.

One of the lecturers who were also on the trip and heard what was said between sarah and the lecturer whilst on the trip. Invited me to go walking with her and a group that she was teaching tommorrow! :) Maybe things have started sinking in!

Maybe the others realise that the one who made the comments seriously overstepped the mark.

But i did also make the appointment for tomorrow at 2:30pm with the head of student services! Lets hope I dont get :crying:

I don't think it matters if you cry. If might make them sit up and listen. SEN or no SEN, a lecturer cannot get away with treating any student like that - I'm really appalled. :(

Like Mumble says, sounds like your fellow students are supportive. What a plank that lecturer is.

Hope the meeting goes well & you get something positive out of this mess. >:D<<'>

Well, had the meeting 1hr and half long!!

Basically, she said if I wanted to be treated the same I should ask to see my records and ask that any mention of AS or anything else other then dyslexia gets removed! That way becuase of only dyslexia there is no reason to treat me any differently! Yes that may work but that would also mean that the lectures who dont know me that well dont know what to expect!

Also, if I did this there would be no reason for 1-1 support at a TA level and an LSA who wont go offsite and has no idea about subject knowledge would be adequate!

So, I have decided that I will not do anything then play question time with them until I get the real reason for me not being allowed to take part in activities or residentails. and then when they say the reason I can then decide whether they are discriminating!

Not the outcome I had hoped for!

No no no no no.....this is not right, surely its all about inclusion, I think you have more of a case of discrimination now !!!!!

Appauled Clare x x x

:wallbash:

You're not asking to be treated the same. You're asking to be given the same opportunities. This means you need to be treated differently in order to access the same parts of the course that the others can access without support.

I'm not surprised you feel like crying. That is a normal reaction to being treated unfairly. I think you need to allow yourself some time to think about it and feel sad and angry. Maybe next week you can start looking at ways to try again.

Will your parents help you with this at all?

The college are discrimminating against you if they do not make REASONABLE ADJUSTMENTS. In your case this would be providing a TA on the trips, making sure the activities are suitable for you or altered so you can access some of the activity.

You need to write a letter stating they are discrimminating against you stating what trips you have been refused and the reason why and than see what happens.

If they have a letter they have to do something about it. Also keep a copy of the letter

Lyn