I have been reading lots of posts lately about DLA. I have often been advised to claim it for C, but for my own reasons it didn't really feel right.

What I'm wondering is - if you receive DLA what benefits other than money do you receive? What I'm meaning is - in theme parks, etc I know if you provide your DLA documentation as proof of disability you can get a fast pass. Stuff like that.

Claim it!

I can understand your reluctance, in so much that I felt the same about Carers Allowance. I had claimed DLA for our dd for a long, long while, and knew I was entitled to CA, but felt I was not a carer.

Eventually, after an eventful holiday in Wales, where alot of things became clear for me, I claimed it.

We used our dd's first DLA payment to buy lots of lovely things for her to play with in the garden, as she couldn't have the same level of freedom as our eldest two.

With our dd's DLA award, we were able to have a blue badge too.

Claim it!

I can understand your reluctance, in so much that I felt the same about Carers Allowance. I had claimed DLA for our dd for a long, long while, and knew I was entitled to CA, but felt I was not a carer.

Eventually, after an eventful holiday in Wales, where alot of things became clear for me, I claimed it.

We used our dd's first DLA payment to buy lots of lovely things for her to play with in the garden, as she couldn't have the same level of freedom as our eldest two.

With our dd's DLA award, we were able to have a blue badge too.

Thanks Baggy, I flit between - "C is entitled to it so claim it, use it buy things for him, or put it away for his future" and "there are other people who need the money more than us".... always the indecisive one :rolleyes: .

What does a blue badge do for you?

With dd's MD it means we can park closer to shops etc, makes a huge difference to us.

Claim what C is entitled to. Seriously, thinking that other people are more deserving of DLA will do you no favours >:D<<'>

it is a horrible form. I applied 3 times for DLA for J, on the third time I sought help from the money advice unit. They came out and filled the form out for me by asking lots of questions etc...when it was refused on that occasion I went to appeal with the support of the MAU and won the appeal and J was awarded his money. On the previous attempts I didn't appeal as I just though 'oh well worth a try' but this time I was determined as I knew lots of other people's children, who have AS/ASD, recieved DLA and were not as bad as J and my thinking was not for the money but for the fact that it was something that he was entitled to IYSWIM :)

krystaltips, i claimed dla, for my daughter before her diagnosis came through, and as her bowels were so bad at the time got high rate care.

One of the reasons for doing this was partly because i knew how difficult it is to claim and i knew she was entitled but it was really 'cos i knew the school were denying any issues and i wanted to prove them wrong by saying look do you think she would be entitled to this if there is nothing going on.

Be prepared for a whole host of emotions.I used to help people fill in these forms as a job and even when people had ben caring for relatives for years, it is still a shock to say it out loud or write it down.

I have always been aware of hayley's difficulties but it still upset me when i had a large document stating how many things she struggled with.

I cried reading the dla form over again and really saw how difficult getting through the day was for my daughter.

Take your time over the form, and get some advice with the wording.The disability rights handbook is very helpful.

For all of you struggling with getting the mobility component (which is very difficult) get an advice worker to look up previous claims under Autism and Arrested development of the brain.

It helps to give as much information as possible, send in info on everything you can, giving as much detail as possible and look for the key phrases when writing your answers.

Carers groups should be able to photocopy any parts of the book you need.

One of the biggest mistakes that are made when filling in these forms is when you are asked about night time care.

They will ask how often you do things after the household has shut down for the night.

Think very carefully on this.

I used to go to bed at 10pm but would be up and down most of the night getting hayley to the toilet changing bedding etc and i ended up not getting to bed sometimes till much much later as i would think whats the point.

But you have to think about the time you would like to go to bed when answering this question, as it is pertinent to the high rate care.

good luck and if you need any help i will do what i can but may be a bit rusty.

i need to fill in the renewal form this week so it is all i will be thinking about for the next week or two.

take care

nic

I would say claim it and if your wealthy enough to live without it give it away to charity :)

If you can say your not, then you have answered your own question about whether or not to claim ;)

Cheers, Baggy. Have just downloaded the form - it looks evil! Think it may well involve a lot of repetition.

Oh they are. It's not an easy form to complete, and I found it very emotional the first time I filled it in. I found it even worse the second time, because I'd not photocopied anything from the previous time, and had to start from scratch....lesson learnt....

get copies of everything!

I've often wondered how anyone manages to fool the system with regards to DLA. Even though our dd had been diagnosed with ASD and MD, and they had reports from every man andhis dog, a doctor was still sent round to visit us. She turned out to be lovely, and very helpful, but what a totaly waste of time and money IMO.

Our dd's is due for renewal in Sept... :(

Thanks peeps. I've started filling in bits of the form, but I'm going to take my time over it - it is truely horrible, and C can be so variable... I feel as if I'm not representing his difficulties if I answer the questions with regard to the "good days", but feel fraudulent if I refer to only the "bad days", and trying to think about it as an average is soooo difficult. Think I might be PMing you, Nic, at some point - thanks for the offer :thumbs: .

Hi Krystaltps,

Thanks for the welcome in the other thread (my wife - Truly Scrumptious), I have just downloaded the DLA form. I agree, it seems VERY repetitive to answer all the questions from an ASD perspective (as apposed to a physical disability etc..). I have highlighted all the 'suggestions' given with each question, and built a paragraph for the 'more info' box out of these. I will download a new copy to fill out correctly.

I didn't think it would be particularly upsetting to fill out the form, ...guess i was wrong. You don't realise what impact it has on your life until you write it all down, you just seem to plod on, add it to the list, etc.. filling this form out - even a first draft - has justified (to me) my impending claim.

My take on the DLA/benifit moral argument is, that there is no such thing as a free lunch - and having a child with AS or ASD - no matter to what degree, puts you in credit, the DLA merely compensates (a little...).

Like you, my son has good days and bad, on his good days, it would be fair to say that he wouldn't/shouldn't receive DLA - going by the questions, but the fact remains that good days are few and far between, you can't plan them in to your calendar and you certainly take a lot more 'rough' than 'smooth'. - take the good days as a bonus!

There must be a whole host of applicants in this forum that could now put together a 'stock answer' - not individual based as obviously each child is different; but for example - care outside - if you have a child like mine that has absolutley no sense of danger, no fear, and would happily play in the road - there must be a standard response, quoting the buzz words they want to hear????

Maybe this forum could make some kind of 'workbook' allowing previous applicants to copy in suggestions/key phrases/buzz words to the individual questions? - This is my first night on here and i have yet to explore all the old threads, something similar may already exist?

Anyway, I guess the more help we get the better!

Regards, C.Potts

When filling the forms it take it as the worse day ever, as only half of what you say it believed anyway.

So the golden rule is take the worse day, time etc and only write about that. The good days, ignore.

Hi and good luck with the DLA form filling, my son's was turned down first time and I know now it was lack of information given.

But after appealing he won this and was first awarded both low rates on the 2 components.

However after a month they reviewed this after requesting this and he was awarded high rate care and also kept the low rate mobility.

I would advise whoever has this form is to get help from someone like the CAB or welfare rights or so, this will take off the pressure, but although I believe a diagnosis counts, you need to add the care and support given and write the worse of everything.

Where here he is now 13, I still do everything for him, from bathing, help dressing, help with cutting of most foods and so on.

Good luck and seek help with these forms if you can. :thumbs: .

Di.

We still get it at the mo, even though JP is working full time. (It was renewed when he was still at school). We reckon, if he has a full time permanent job by the time he's 21 & its up for renewal, we will then do without.

I feel guilty about it - but we don't know what the future holds. He's on a tiny wage at the moment so it does in lieu of board, & he can save as much as poss for his future.

And we sure as hell needed it when he was younger.

Yes of course claim it- and yes imagine the worst case scenario and write about it.

I n our case after receiving it we applied for a disability card from the council- this gives us a lot of discounts for him and usually a carer goes free in most swimming pools and attractions which meant that we can take him out more. It also helped in play schemes where he gets almost half price which agian meant he can have more activities during the summer.

Good luck and don't be put off by the length of the form; my advice would be to downloaded it and fill it over more than one session then get you hubby or best friend to read it then amend and send then finger crossed :notworthy:

Good luck

Pragmatic

go for it i wasnt goin to claim for reece but everyone involved in his care told me to so i did it has reaaly helped

and also have a blue badge which is a godsend wen we r out and about

love donnaxxx