Tally

Morris Dancers Recruitment Drive

I just heard on the news that some local morris dancing club are holding a recruitment drive. The people who do it are getting too old to do it properly, according to a member, and the young people are just not interested. Apparently there is a serious risk that morris dancing could die out! The sooner the better in my opinion!

Why was line dancing invented?

...So the morris dancers would have something to laugh at.

K x :P

Guest Lya of the Nox

kathryn :notworthy:

but have to say coming from town where the all congregate at may day, i not sure lol

it is funny when they are at last pub, and sooooo piddled

x

When I was little it was one of my ambitions to be a morris dancer :rolleyes: I can remember prancing around the house with a couple of big hankies!!!

Flora

Pull the other leg - it's got bells on!

Oh no! Both have! I've turned into a Morris Dancer :o:crying:

(disappears into distance to sound of 'In Dulci Jubilo', leg bells and clogs)

:D

No - cats have bells 'cos their horns don't work...

Oh no, that's cows, isn't it!

Is it 'cos they don't know the words?

Oh no, that's bees!

Is it because they're deaf?

Oh no, that's quasimodo - the Hunchcat of Notre Dame

I know why i have bells - 'cos it's the perfect chaser for guinness! :whistle:

Incidentally, round here they wear white shirts (unbuttoned) and baggy jeans with bits of undergrowth sticking out of the back pocket...

That's right, we have Morrisey Dancers :whistle:

IGMC... :)

Incidentally, round here they wear white shirts (unbuttoned) and baggy jeans with bits of undergrowth sticking out of the back pocket...

That's right, we have Morrisey Dancers :whistle:

:lol::lol: much as it pains me to admit it,i liked that joke bighead :thumbs:

The other day at work, there was a stray box of daffodils on top of the bread. The new guy asked what to do with it. I told him to put them in his back pocket and sing a song. He just started at me blankly and slowly put the box on the floor.

:lol::lol: much as it pains me to admit it,i liked that joke bighead :thumbs:

I preferred tally's!

The other day at work, there was a stray box of daffodils on top of the bread. The new guy asked what to do with it. I told him to put them in his back pocket and sing a song. He just started at me blankly and slowly put the box on the floor.

:thumbs:

I think you are all being highly intolerant & discriminatory towards the straw-hatted keepers of our heritage. Shame on you! ;)

Seriously though - if we go abroad we search out examples of local culture, what makes a place different from ours, its history & traditions. Yet its open season on our own.

*gets down off soapbox*

I think you are all being highly intolerant & discriminatory towards the straw-hatted keepers of our heritage. Shame on you! ;)

Seriously though - if we go abroad we search out examples of local culture, what makes a place different from ours, its history & traditions. Yet its open season on our own.

*gets down off soapbox*

Ah, but that's how it works, you see...

Ask the Irish about 'River dance'

Ask the Scottish about the Highland Fling

We're allowed to take the pee out of our own - it's just NOT ok for anyone else to!

I must say that when i witnessed an event described as "morris dancing" it was the most entertaining thing i'd seen for months.... this was at the world beard and moustache festival, so it was a combination of morris sticks and hirstute fellows.

Something i'd highly recommend.

I must say that when i witnessed an event described as "morris dancing" it was the most entertaining thing i'd seen for months.... this was at the world beard and moustache festival, so it was a combination of morris sticks and hirstute fellows.

Something i'd highly recommend.

:thumbs: eggzackly! I thought we celebrated eccentricity on here? :lol:

I'm married to a beardy weirdy, but I havent persuaded him to don breeches & clogs yet. I'm working on it.

Well, when I was at school we did a folk dance display that involved wooden 'swords' that ended up slotted together as a star, held aloft in triumph :o

Anyway, I was sooo pants at the dance (mmm, bit of a clue there, complete lack of co-ordination ;) ) that I wasn't allowed to take part, and I had to be the 'bag man'(??), wear a decorated straw hat and caper about with a ballon on the end of a stick!! :wacko::ph34r::ph34r:

My psyche has never recovered :crying::shame:

Boho :devil:

Ssshhh!! some us have to look on Youtube :rolleyes: 'Morris Dancer' we Aussie natives have more cultured dance of our own :whistle: there is just NO comparison :dance::clap::devil:

Sorry but we are better :lol:

especially here :whistle:

My kids are half Kiwi and my son has this down to a fine art. :thumbs: When I was in my early 20's I watched a group of 20 Maori's perform this in NZ Rotorua in a restaurant I was 5 feet away :whistle: almost jumped out of my seat :o:lol:

Morris Dancers :oops::clap::thumbs: very interesting :whistle::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

As an ex rapper sword dancer (one of the fastest and exciting dances you can imagine - the geordie version of morris - but we used sharpened swords - and somersaulted over them) I can recommend traditional dancing for a great night out.

Go to a ceildhe - its one of the best nights out!

go to you tube and search for rapper sword if you want to view - the high spen dance is the way I remember doing it, the somersault, decapitation and star are all there. And they are fun!!!

Much more enjoyable than the modern wobble dances

*nods* I am hoping against hope to persuade S to have a ceilidh when she finally ties the knot.

Most fun you can have standing up (or falling over)