rocketgob

Can someone explain what Dyspraxia is?

In words I can understand (I am blonde :whistle: )

Charlie's nursery have mentioned that they think he may have that as well and ADHD. What makes dyspraxia different from ADHD and AS?

Sorry - confused of Devon sat here :hypno:

Sarah xxx

Glad you said that - my reaction was the same - his paed has said he is High Functioning autistic but they are not sure exactly where he fits on the spectrum yet - still waiting for his report and dates for his next lot of assessments! I said just because you have had someone else through with Aspergers dont go assuming you know it all. I was so mad I was shaking when I left. Its bad enough not knowing exactly whats wrong ourselves without others sticking their oar in!

I just think they shouldn't make assumptions especially when they are aware of the stresses that you already have! What are they trying to achieve? It just ends up another worry for you to deal with!

Lisa xx

problem with these 'diagnoses' is the powers that be, teachers, put it on the child's records (parent is also in denial :rolleyes: ) and you spend the next few years telling them it's wrong with the usual disbelief from them...and that is regardless of any diagnoses you get in the future!

Nip it in the bud now. Tell them straight they are NOT qualified to make a diagnoses and this should be left to some one who is, i.e his paed.

Hi.Dyspraxia and Developmental Coordination Disorder are the same thing.DCD is to do with coordination and ability to plan and carry out activities....things like using cutlery,pencil grip,cutting,jumping,catching a ball .The difficulties seen in Dyspraxia are also common in ASD...so if the paediatrician says high functioning autistic the things the nursery have noticed are very likely to be part of the autism diagnosis.

The support and intervention for the motor difficulties associated with ASD is in practice the same as the support and intervention for DCD.So don't worry too much.The nursery staff are not trained to diagnose unlike the paediatrician. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

Hi

I often find that the "jargon buster" at the top of the page is useful, usually gives a brief description and a useful link for more info.

Clare x x x

hi

Karen is right with her definition. It also now falls under the sensory processing issues within AS as proprioception.

quite often dyspraxia is dx'd before other things because it is relatively easy to spot at an early age.

Stella xx

Just a word of caution. I agree that they are not able to diagnose but they may well be right. It sounds like they are at least interested. In our area if you have a diagnosis of ASpergers, ASd or high functioning autism and have "dyspraxic" type dificulties then you are unlikely to access OT. However add on the dyspraxia diagnosis and you are more likely to get it. It has made a huge difference to my son who has a dx of Aspergers, adhd and dyspraxia. He was dx by a leading team and they said he needs the label otherwise he won't get the help. He is very dyspraxic- 1st centile on the motor-co-ordination tests. WE didn't want all the labels but sadly that was what was needed to get him the right help. I have a friend whose young son is so like mine was at 6. He has a dx of ASD. They refuse to assess for dyspraxia despite the fact that she when she looked at the criteria he clearly could get a dx. She is now having to get a private OT report.

Just a word of caution. I agree that they are not able to diagnose but they may well be right. It sounds like they are at least interested. In our area if you have a diagnosis of ASpergers, ASd or high functioning autism and have "dyspraxic" type dificulties then you are unlikely to access OT. However add on the dyspraxia diagnosis and you are more likely to get it. It has made a huge difference to my son who has a dx of Aspergers, adhd and dyspraxia. He was dx by a leading team and they said he needs the label otherwise he won't get the help. He is very dyspraxic- 1st centile on the motor-co-ordination tests. WE didn't want all the labels but sadly that was what was needed to get him the right help. I have a friend whose young son is so like mine was at 6. He has a dx of ASD. They refuse to assess for dyspraxia despite the fact that she when she looked at the criteria he clearly could get a dx. She is now having to get a private OT report.

Thanks that is a very good point indeed.Ben has been able to get OT with a Dx of DCD.He is supported by the DCD OT.However getting OT with an ASD Dx would have been more complicated. :wallbash::wallbash: Karen.