Sign in to follow this  
Jem

what benefits or pitfulls to being statemented ?

I have been advised that i should get my 12 year old aspie son statemented, as we are having some problems with his school. Can someone please tell me what this would involve, and do you think it would be beneficial.Many thanks, Jay.

Hi Jem.

Here's a link to some NAS factsheets which will give you basic information about the statementing process:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=690

If you've got any questions please ask - loads of experienced people here who'll be glad to help.

As you'll gather if you read the posts on this site, obtaining a statement is not always straightforward, depending on several factors, such as the LEA you're in and the attitude of the school towards your child's needs. You may have to be prepared for a bit of a battle, and to be very persistent.

Most parents consider a statement worth fighting for, as it has legal force, and, as long as it's clearly and accurately written, guarantees a certain level of support for your child. Can't think of any pitfalls, except for the tremendous emotional and mental energy parents expend in going through the process and ensuring the statement remains effective.

K x

Hi Jem

I agree that there are very positive aspects to obtaining a statement which will help your child.

The statement allowed him to go to a special unit where he received 1 on 1 treatment and eventually went into mainstream school.

However my son had great trouble accepting it when he felt he was seen as being different while at school. He hated being pulled out of the class or being asked to stand up and go off and do special tests etc and in the end he just wanted to be left alone and treated as ?normal? and so we had him withdrawn from this treatment.

This lead us to dispute with the school but we had the ed psych?s support for our actions as we took the view that his mental wellbeing and social aspect was more important than his educational needs at the time. He was still having an education but no additional support and he (and his parents) were happy with this.

He then went off to University and found out he could get a special loan and laptop etc and so used his statement along with another ed psych?s report to get this and more time for exams, use of computer to write exams, all notes to be given in written form etc.

My son attends a high school with an ASD unit.He would,nt have been offered a place in the unit if he was,nt statemented.He is fully supported there, is disapplied from some subjects , has access to speach and lang therapy, and uses the unit at dinner and break times.The best thing about it though is all staff are fullt trained in autism and understand .For us a statement has no pitfalls without it I,d be home educating.Best of luck with the statementing process, hugs suzex

I wouldnt say there is any pitfalls in a statement that is correct and followed throw.

It offers support on your child individual need, giving consideration to all areas of his education.

It may increase his chances of a more suitable placement for example a specilist school that require the child has a statement on addmission.

It helps rather than hinders and can ensure that your child accesses other entitlements such as DLA and Family Fund, though these are not unobtainable without a statement it does prove your child has significant needs of a child of the same age.

Go all the way to try and obtain one, the LEA and LEA Parent partnership will try to persuade you not to bother, do not let them do this, if he is struggling and his needs are that he needs a statement then stick it out. its difficult what ever road you take, but its worth the battle if you win the LEA war.

Good Luck and come back if you need any further support, use the school sen support post.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=676

JsMum

Edited by JsMum