Mumble

It's horrible now :(

My disability witch (who, btw, I've been advised not to make any complaint about re. confidentiality - though my supervisor has spoken to her, but I don't know what he's said which I'm finding unsettling :tearful:) has messed up again :wallbash: :wallbash:. I think she was trying to help, but she hasn't. In doing a fantastic act of not listening to me, she's approached the main accommodation people about the noise issue, but related it to the wrong students.

Students on my corridor (who I didn't have any problem with - most of them are graduate students) have now been told off and they are understandably really angry with me (I would be if I'd been snitched on for something I hadn't done). They are now making my life hell - calling me all sorts of names (that would be moderated if I repeated them here), 'accidentally' banging my door, 'accidentally' walking into me or not getting out of my way (oh, they're having fun with this one having seen my sensory defensive reactions), making 'funny' faces at me (sorry can't describe them, but they're not nice) and playing loud music and screeching (i.e. doing what they're been accused of).

Oh yes, and because the wrong people have been disciplined, I've still got all the same noise issues from the students living below me. :tearful: :tearful:

Really stuck now - I can't take things to anyone higher, I can't afford to live anywhere else, and meanwhile things are getting worse (and I think because I'm stressed it feels even worse) :(

Hiya >:D<<'>

I think if I wrote what i think about your DW I'd get moderated! - what a stupid woman!

I don't think you can afford to not say anything to DW and your sup asap for the sake of your own wellbeing.

You are just gonna get more and more stresed and she absolutely should sort this out with halls peeps tomorrow or she finds you somewhere more suitable to stay asap.

I think you should ask your sup , ....or thinking bout it....is the halls manager more approachable than DW?? - if so perhaps you should email her explaining DW's massive *** up! and saying how much more distress they have now caused you and can she please help you?

If you mail halls manager, then cc DW and sup as well.

I'm so sorry you are being treated like this - it's making me fume, totally unacceptable

Stay strong and remember you are in the right >:D<<'>

And.....no way at all under any circunstances should either the Halls manager or the DW have let it be known who complained!! :angry::angry:

That is totally and utterly unacceptable and you need to let your sup and tutor know asap - you cannot work at the level you need to under these circumstances

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Mumble

I think you need to go back to your disablity support person and your supervisor and explain what has happened. This is not acceptable behaviour from the other students which has occurred due to the mishandling of your complaint. I still think they have a duty of care towards you regarding the noise and its for them to sort out unacceptable noise levels.

You have a basic right to be able to function and study and this is not being offered to do and therefore you are being discriminated against due to a disability. I think this should be the thrust of your argument and the other issues are then the detail to back your case up.

I sent an email to my disability witch sometime last night because I was so upset/angry/fed-up (not sure I can distinguish between these). I've had a reply this morning and I feel physically sick at what she's said.

The basics of it are that my hall say they're following the rules and that senior students (supposedly responsible, yet the one on my corridor is at the heart of the prob as she's been telling the others about me) will 'check' and that all staff have been reminded of a "duty of care". I don't need stupid phrases that are meaningless, I need some action.

Either they re-write the rules or they follow them, but as things stand, I have absolutely no idea what's going on and it seems that anything goes :(

Oh, and on the confidentiality - difficult to remove (apparently) - yeah right :( and she's even had the audacity to put an exclamation mark in the email about it as if the breach of confidentiality is some joke :sick:

Has she at any point apologised for her almighty ###### up or is she just disregarding that bit and acting like she has followed procedure??

Erm ... do you really need me to answer that? :shame:

Oh, and on the confidentiality - difficult to remove (apparently) - yeah right :( and she's even had the audacity to put an exclamation mark in the email about it as if the breach of confidentiality is some joke :sick:

She's not telling the truth, so as you know which forum it is, I would contact them directly and tell them how you feel, ask them to remove it. It is easy to remove a thread on any of the forums I belong to, including this one.

Has she even asked them? I wouldn't put money on it.

And seriously, I would put in a formal complaint. As a teacher, you know about warnings and informal disciplinary actions that can be taken if a teacher breaks confidentiality rules. So should she.

I'd also refuse to have any more dealings with her. Can she truly list anything she has done that has been of benefit to you?

What use or purpose does she have? She is a source of insecurity and worry to you, with dashes of fear and misery. Dump her.

Edited by Bard

Hi Mumble

I sent some links to the Open University on the other thread related to this topic which states the external help you can get and this has also been stated by another poster.

I think you need to "clear the air" with the witch, do you have someone who can represent you just to protect you from further frustration and may prevent a confrontational position.

I personally think trying to get the other students to change their entrenched behaviour is unlikely to work and therefore is it possible for you to be moved due to the effect noise has on your personal wellbeing, AS needs etc. I think also it's wrong of her to name you because it has resulted in the behaviour that the other students are now having towards you.

I think you need help whether from head of course, mentor etc who can engage with them and mediate in the problem.

Have you tried the accomodation officer?

I think if you press them (or your mediator/mentor) to have you moved on the basis that the other students behaviour is unlikely to change.

This is not fair on you and will add to your stress and I think you should start putting your case in writing on a formal complaint procedure. I think as well you may be better fighting the University on an issue at a time, whether its the accommodation issue or the confidentiality and this may help your stress levels and increase your chances of success. Just some thoughts about a strategy that will help you in the long term.

Edited by Kinda

I'd also refuse to have any more dealings with her. Can she truly list anything she has done that has been of benefit to you?

What use or purpose does she have? She is a source of insecurity and worry to you, with dashes of fear and misery. Dump her.

I wish I could Bard, and you're right she's done only damage to me, but I am completely stuck and feel I have no where to go. I've been advised to go no higher nor complain to anyone because it won't help me, but I don't get the help I need from her. It is only my sheer determination to get my PhD and prove to all the doubters who said I wouldn't even get GCSEs that I'm still here. I'm very lucky that academically my uni is fantastic, especially my department - I hate to think what a state I would be in if I didn't have that.

I went to see my supervisor today to try and explain how everything is making me feel - I ended up breaking down in tears in his office and trying to pull the skin off my arm to punish myself for having failed again. I'm surprised he didn't call the men in white coats for me - because of all the 'other' with witch and accommodation, I feel I'm jeopardising my future academic career and that terrifies me :tearful: