Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

Big success

Do you still call them playdates when they're nine?

The last time J had someone home straight from school was Septembe 2006 (I checked), and it ended with us having to take the other child home at a moment's notice for his own safety when J started chucking oak dining chairs around because something went wrong on the computer game :tearful:

He's latched onto a boy at school (actually he's latched on to several, and has become quite popular :thumbs:) , but this particular lad was desperate to come home with J and has been asking for weeks. So I took them both swimming for an hour first to minimise the amount of time they'd be at home among J's stuff and limit the potential for flare-ups. Totally not necessary, they both had a fantastic time, J shared, cooperated and was a star. They even managed the lockers and changing rooms at the baths without my help :thumbs: .

When we took the other lad home he reeled off questions: When can I come back, can I come tomorrow, when can J come to my house, can J sleep over at my house, which school will J be going to when he leaves here etc etc. My son has a real friend who really likes him! And on the way back J told me that today had been one of the happiest of his life, he'd had a fantastic day at school and been excited with his friend about playing together afterwards. He said he was lucky to have a friend like D, and was lucky to go to such a great school. Now doesn't that make all the hard work worthwhile!!

And to think that a year ago I was begging the psychs for Risperodone.

Karen

x

Karen, that's fantastic. :)

Sometimes we get so focused on the current difficulties, don't we, and it's good to look back to previous harder times and see how far the child has come since then.

K x

Gosh, I've gone all teary reading that. :tearful: That's just priceless, absolutely priceless. To have a friend who wants to spend time with your lad and really likes him for who he is and who makes your lad feel so good about himself, there just isn't anything better. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Thanks guys. I'm still a bit wobbly about it all myself. Honestly never thought we'd get to this point - just hope it lasts.

Mind you, J was utterly exhausted after school yesterday, I think it was the emotion of it all, excitement etc. He'd been building up to the day for two weeks and couldn't think of anything else. I actually thought he was ill as all he wanted to do was lie on the settee and read comics, whereas usually after school he does winding down stuff up in his room (and actually does a few jobs too - his time management's been coming on great as well lately :thumbs: ).

We're arranging a re-run in two weeks. Wish us luck!

Karen

x