Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Advice on statement review

Hi all,

My son (age 8) has his annual statement review tomorrow, he currently receives 20 hours assistance per week. He has no dx but is along the lines of AS. Although this is his 2nd review I am still a little green as to what I should be ensuring, as the school don't communicate with me with regard to his progress. His 1-1/group time has been juggled around the the last couple of weeks and he now has 4 different assistants throughout the week, sometimes 2 different ones on one day - is this normal? I would have thought it was confusing for the child also no continuity?

Is there anything I should REALLY be asking at the statement review? I have requested that the Ed Phyc attend, which she is, although she has never met my son because shes a temp! The SENCO is particularly controlling and has you answering her questions at least 5 questions before she ask you the one yuo have already answered! If that makes sense! :wacko:

I have concerns over his teacher, as she kind of just dismisses his behaviour and I feel that they may try to reduce his hours. Parent Partnership say "well that's a good thing isn't it?" but as a mother you have this nagging doubt that if it's taken away you will not get it back :(

Also I read another post where one member stated the following:

"What I do remember is, whenever a child is embarrassed or humiliated by a teacher in front of the child's peers or any adult, this would constitute a form of abuse."

If his teacher asks the whole class to "put your hand up if you like "S", then put your hand up if you like working with "S", then put you hand up if it distracts you when "S" rolls around on the carpet and finally put you hand up if you would like "S" more if he didn't do it!

Surely this could be interpreted as a form of abuse due to the nature of it's humiliation?

Any help appreciated, getting a bit stressed and nervous, it's like being the child at school all over again :sick:

Good luck with the review.

I would flat-out oppose any attempt to reduce the hours. If they establish over the course of the next year that they can gradually reduce support that is one thing. Asking you to agree a reduction and trust that they will put it back later if the provision doesn't work is quite another.

The main thing I would do is to go through the statement tonight clause by clause and see if I agreee that the provision has been met.

You may well find gaps in last years provision. If you are constantly asking for extra resources to be put in to plug these gaps, it make it much harder for the LEA to argue that things are going so well that provision can be reduced.

Simon

Hi,

I havent any advice on your statement review, sorry, and I hope it all goes really well for you. :pray:

I had to post to say that I think the 'put your hands up if you like S' teacher behavoiur is really outrageous! To my mind it constitutes a form of abuse, its manipulative, underhand and humiliating. I would be Furious :angry: if that had happened to my son. Its the thought process that infuriates me, as well as the follow through action. I have worked in nurseries and schools and have seen the kind of 'lets shame/bully/ignore/ridicule that behaviour out of that child' being used to great harm. Not only is it damaging to self confidence/esteem etc but it can really turn a whole class against the poor child!

Sorry if Ive blown my top :oops:

I really do hope all goes well and Im sure you will receive some excellent advice, you have done already from Simon!

take care

drift

Hi,

I don't really have any advice on your son's review, but stick to your guns! If you feel he needs the 20 hours, make sure you get this across and give the reasons why. You could give IPSEA a call for advice.

With regard to the comments by the teacher, this is outrageous. If an employer spoke to his staff like this, he would probably be sacked. This is definately humiliation and discrimination and is totally unacceptable.

Did your son tell you about these comments? I can't imagine how he felt :(

If it were my son, i would be taking this matter further. We entrust our kids to these teachers and expect them to be treated with respect. Can you imagine if a child spoke like this about another child in their class? They would be up for serious punishment.

Sorry to rant, but this makes me cross :angry:

Loulou x

I should have added one thing,which may seem a little obvious, but I'd just say:

"Make sure you know what is going on!"

I have heard of cases where the meeting was so overcome by jargon and insider talk that the parent concerned had not even been aware that the meeting had 'agreeed' a porposal to reduce the level of care. If they are taking past you or over you, don'ty be afrais to ask them to stop and explain.

Simon

� "What I do remember is, whenever a child is embarrassed or humiliated by a teacher in front of the child's peers or any adult, this would constitute a form of abuse."

Hello 10,

Approximately five years ago I worked as an LSA in a behavioural unit, I was instructed to read a particular charter from the Social Services department - as I said before, I can't remember its title. Everyone who worked in the unit had to read this charter.

Acceptable restraint methods and coping strategies were mentioned, along with examples of what would constitute forms of abuse within the school setting.

If you want to know more about what constitutes abuse within the school setting, then I suggest you contact the social services department for more information, as very often some departments tend to re-vamp or update their documentation.

Thank you everyone for your continued support.

Lou Lou what you said

Did your son tell you about these comments? I can't imagine how he felt 
- can you believe that the teacher actually told me this herself at a 10 minutes parents evening! My face must have said it all :angry: because she then tried to backpeddle! It makes you wonder what else goes on that goes unsaid :(

Helen, Hi, I might well do that. I will ask the SENCO tomorrow what her "interpretation" of that would be, as I believe that I am not the only parent of a SN child who has a problem with this particular young, inexperienced and unwilling to broaden her horizons teacher! My friend (has a child in same class) had her review today and the teacher would not attend the meeting, how is that constructive?

I will let you know how I got on tomorrow, wish me luck! :thumbs:

My friend (has a child in same class) had her review today and the teacher would not attend the meeting, how is that constructive?

Our school does this sort of thing too. It's why we are trying to place our children somwhere else!

Simon

I just picked up the phone and rang the welfare department and it's the same department as the Ed Phyc, spoke to her to check she was still on for tomorrow and she didn't seem too concered about the comments made by the teacher, and that we will discuss it tomorrow in the meeting.

Her view was that maybe the teacher didn't know it made my son uncomfortable :o WHAT - that wasn't really my point, she shouldn't do it regardless! Didn't press her on it as I need her on my side! She said the teacher should be there, so we'll see if she turns up.

Hi 10, is it possible for you to take some one with you to the review, a person you trust who knows you and your child well but is not too emotionally involved?? This can be a great help especially when things degenerate into jargon, you sit there bamboozled but to have someone else there who can say "hold on what about......?" You can take a person with you, I have attended ss meetings with the parent of the boy i look after under direct patments. Think i must have asked too many bolshie questions because they asked mum if they could visit when i wasn't there!! Fine, she got her other friend to go!!! You should have been asked if you are giving written info at the meeting, go through his statement and bullet point out what you think then when you are asked bits don't get forgotten. I'm sure you've already thought of this. As to the teacher's comments, don't think I'd be too happy with that. Maybe you need to take that up another time in more detail, I'm not too sure if it's brought up in a statement review it will get the attention it deserves? My dad always says "start at the top and work down" so perhaps a visit to the head ?? Hope this helps, will be thinking of you , Kat

Good luck with your statement review. I would agree that you should always have someone with you when attending these meetings. You say that the school don't communicate with you regarding your boys progress. They cant stop you from asking and arranging regular meetings. You are entitled to ask to see his teacher as often as you see fit, short of stalking & harrassment, lol. It obviously suits the school to have as little contact with you as possible, but you really should be pressing them for regular updates.

We have regular meetings with the teacher, head ed-psychologist throughout the year to discuss our boys progress and work out strategies that can help him in class.

Once again , Good luck

Mike