ScienceGeek

Self Harm Urges

I go back to uni tomorrow and I'm really anxious about it. I have 2 pieces of coursework that can be handed in on wednesday at the latest and I haven't even started. My brain feels like there isn't enough RAM to fully function and I'm not even keeping on top of things like making sure I have clean clothes and eating properly, let alone do the coursework. I feel like I'm drowning in everything right now and can't cope. I keep getting the urge to burn things or self harm and can't see a non destructive way to deal with all this. :unsure: I'm using up so much energy just trying to deal with the outside world and human beings that I have no energy for anything else.

Sorry to hear you're feeling low.

Is there any way you can get an extension on the coursework? Are you in email contact with the tutor?

I'm trying to think of what would set me off - so it may not be the same stressor for you, i would be worrying about the coursework and wondering where / how to begin, that would make me panic - and everything else would then seem too daunting and overwhelming for me. Maybe not having to worry about the coursework just yet, may help.

Once the stressor (if it is coursework) is removed, you may begin to feel better - and more in control.

Hope that helps >:D<<'>

Guest Lya of the Nox

you have to remember that it takes time for the body to rid itself of anaesthetic and this may be knocking you off kilter.

you need to talk to a doctor, cos you sound a bit down

and list what is important to be done,

or read a book or go out for a walk, and try and start again

x

No advice ScienceGeek. but plenty of >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> . Take care and go easy on yourself for a while. Hope things pick up for you soon. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Ok. I managed to get done parts of each bit of coursework before my brain gave in again. Will attempt to finish off tomorrow and hand in within the 24hr window. :rolleyes:

There is a lot going on at the moment contributing to my anxiety, wedding stuff, recovering from surgery, coursework, revision, being pressured into standing in the local elections, going back to uni, flat a mess. Can I hide under my duvet and not come out for a few months?? :unsure:

Hope you're feeling a bit better SG - can u ditch anything thats not absolutely neccessary to get done/do - the standing for election maybe??

You mentioned you were kind off talked/forced into it - maybe you could say 'sorry but I do not have enough time to commit to it at the moment...'

I'm just thinking it's one less thing to worry about and give you a bit more 'space' to focus on wedding and coursework. >:D<<'>

Hope things queiten down a bit for you

Hi there fellow citizen from sittingbourne...just logged on ...shouldnt be here ..should be in poland but flight was canx yesterday among many others...total waste of a day and very hard on chas....hey so sorry to read your post.....have you tried...anything like self hypnosis or meditation or a punch bag.....what about art...i know it sounds crazy but when chas is overloading...ie all the brainwaves get in a muddle he scribbles and dawbs paint with passion and he seems to let of steam this way....get some herbal tea......sounds like you have a lot on....can you trade with someone to tidy up for you in ur digs and u repay with something they havent got time to do....my eldest is at uni and they have got themselves into a bartering club where one of the resident chaps does the cooking for him and he downloads music onto cd or gives him any vouchers he has got...seems to work okay for him...if i think of anything else..will post...bye for now and take care of yourself..maria

as smiley says you need to try and remove or reduce some of your stressors.

Ultimately self harm will just make you feel worse so please dont go there!!!!

Maybe you need a slightly more detailed timetable to help you manage time better and to prioritise???

Hi there fellow citizen from sittingbourne...just logged on ...shouldnt be here ..should be in poland but flight was canx yesterday among many others...total waste of a day and very hard on chas....hey so sorry to read your post.....have you tried...anything like self hypnosis or meditation or a punch bag.....what about art...i know it sounds crazy but when chas is overloading...ie all the brainwaves get in a muddle he scribbles and dawbs paint with passion and he seems to let of steam this way....get some herbal tea......sounds like you have a lot on....can you trade with someone to tidy up for you in ur digs and u repay with something they havent got time to do....my eldest is at uni and they have got themselves into a bartering club where one of the resident chaps does the cooking for him and he downloads music onto cd or gives him any vouchers he has got...seems to work okay for him...if i think of anything else..will post...bye for now and take care of yourself..maria

Unfortunately this is something I can't do as I only live with my gf. I don't live with other students.

as smiley says you need to try and remove or reduce some of your stressors.

Ultimately self harm will just make you feel worse so please dont go there!!!!

Maybe you need a slightly more detailed timetable to help you manage time better and to prioritise???

Oh I know it would make me feel worse in the long run which is why I was trying to find ways to not do it. I used to SH when I was in college a few years ago and have many scars from it.

As for removing or reducing some of the stressors there's only one of the things that I could probably remove which is the standing for election. I need to talk to the guy in charge as I'm the only one he has that can stand in my area, but I just don't have the time to commit to it right now.

Removing the election may be just whats needed. we all have a limit and your obviously pushing that limit so removing a little may be enough to stop you exploding.

Also remember once your coursework are done you will have a bit more mental space, although you probably will have more uni work to do you should hopefully have less time pressure.

Update: I've just seen the student adviser :notworthy: and have been advised to put in an extenuating circumstances form for the two pieces of coursework one that was due yesterday the other due next monday. They will take into account why I handed the maths incomplete and rubbish. I've been told to put the exams in as well so if I don't do so well I won't be docked points if I have to do resits in the summer. This means I can just rest rather than having to do the chemistry coursework.

I have a doctors appointment on Friday and trying to sort everything out, I'm on the verge of a breakdown and really trying to prevent it. The last breakdown I had I couldn't leave the house for weeks and barely washed or ate during that time, can really do without that happening right now.

Good news about the coursework, but sorry you are feeling on the verge of a breakdown, hope your GP will be able to help come Friday. Sometimes when you can read the signs you are in a better position to revert the breakdown happening, at least your are aware and able to seek help.

Take care SG ~ >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

sciencegeek, if your close to breakdown you need to get back in contact with CMHT and gp so youve got access to appropriate support. Obviously wether they help you is another matter but that depends on the efficiency of your cmht.

sciencegeek, if your close to breakdown you need to get back in contact with CMHT and gp so youve got access to appropriate support. Obviously wether they help you is another matter but that depends on the efficiency of your cmht.

CMHT have never really been a help before. I'll just get given another stress booklet to work though that never helps. :rolleyes:

:lol: Sounds familiar - I'm still waiting for the imaginary 'person who can help adult autistics' that i was promised would be found for me.................

So, so pleased you have been able to wangle some extra time. You have so much going on at the moment - it's no wonder your stressed.

Everything crossed the GP can give you that extra bit of support on Friday :)