Sign in to follow this  
stressedmumto2

anyone experience of tribunals?

Hi this is a follow on form my post regarding OT in school and just wondered if anyone had experience of asking the tribunal to summon a therapist to the tribunal because they will not provide a report stating what they have advised the school to do for the child?

How has this gone down with the therapist? I am considering going down this route but am worried that the therapist may then get narky and say his needs do not require OT and as I have nowt in paper from her it would seem like I am lying.

At first she said to myself son needed two sessions of 45 mins daily exercises/sensory stuff at school and for me to do one session of 45 mins at home. I have just been into school to ask the teacher whom she went through it with what exactly she advised the school and the TA told me she said they needed to do 10 min bursts throughout the day of exercises using the big muscles, I have asked her for a time-table as she said they will be starting it next week so I can see if the total amounts to 90 minutes throughout the day.

Just wondered if anyone had advice on a therpaist being summoned and how the relatioship between parent and therapist was after.

Sorry no personal experience of this. Can you afford to get a SALT report yourself? Have you support from IPSEA? Reading the decision on SENDIST website can be a great way to see how things pan out at tribunal- sadly they do not have the most recent decisons. But it will at least let you see how they evidence is assessed- you can serach on different criteria. Good luck

Dear Stressed Mom,

Our OT was willing to write a report and also go to tribunnel however, you can only take 3 people into tribunel with you.

Our OT was private as none of the NHS OTs had received any training for sensory problems.

We only had a 30 minute session with her once a week. The problem with the exercise sessions with an ASD with sensory problems is one day you could do the exercise and it would be find yet the next day the same exercise for the same amount of time coudl over stimulate the child.

Lyn

Hi Thanks for the replys. Well today I asked my son's TA what level of OT he was getting, she said they will be starting the plan next week and it was lots of 10min sessions/breaks throughout the day, so I asked for a time-table as this wasn't very specific. I have now a letter form the TA which states he will get half hr daily doing core stability exercise and breaks throughout day.

The OT had told me he needed two sessions of 45 mins plus breaks in school so really I need to get OT to put something in writing even though she doesn't want too, :wallbash: It will be mebers of school staff doing the exercises, which will probably help my son cos he's so much more avoidant when working with the therapists!!

I only have barrister and SaLT going to tribunal with me as it is still based on my first tribunal which was over a year ago and because the tribunal decided it was the NHS SaLT's evidence they preferred over my private ones even though they didn't understand what she menat when she put he needed a waking day curriculum, ah well she is going to come with me this time around (she wasn't at the first tribunal) and she hopefully will say what her advice meant.

2 lots of 45 minutes per day seems a lot when you consider that he is only at school for 6 hours - 1 hour for lunch - 15+ minutes for break. He will be missing approximately one third of the lessons.

It also amounts to 7 and a half of his 1:1 hours, which might mean he will get less support with numeracy/literacy.

Hi kaz,

Yes it does seem alot when you look at it like that, but she really did say 3 lots of 45 min session daily, myself to do one lot and school to do 2, lol. But she said if he had PE or swimming then that could be used as one of the sessions.

Well the plan starts next week so we will have to see how it goes, hopefully he will enjoy it and be able to go back to lessons and focus so here's to hoping >:D<<'>

He's also in special school and practically gets 1-1 support in all lessons