Sign in to follow this  
racey

reduced school hours

hi,

after taking my son to the doctors yesterday because he is not coping very well at school and although i have asked the school for help with this they aren't exactly falling over themselves to help. the doctor has written a letter for me to take to school requesting that j goes to school for reduced hours, i'm not sure what the school are going to make of this and how they will interpret it either, if anyone has been in a similar situation i'd be grateful to know what reduced hours meant for their child?

thanks!

racey

There are so many J`s on this forum, mine included! For my J, school reduced his hours to part-time, he went home after lunch, even though I didnt want it, this was in y7, they sent him home before that most days anyhow :unsure: Enid

Hi racey.I do not have personal experience of your situation although my elder son was out of school on medical grounds for several weeks with anxiety.

If the school are not being supportive it may be worth continuing to push school so that they do not see reduced hours as an alternative to appropriate provision.Karen.

Is this primary or secondary? My lad wasn't coping at primary so I asked the Head for him to go part-time. They jiggled it so that some days he would come in for just the morning and some days he'd come in after lunch. Unfortunately, it didn't help in the end and we ended up taking him out completely. Now he's at an ASD unit attached to a mainstream secondary school and he's still part-time. Some days he goes in late and some days he's home early and some days he does full days, depending on where his lessons fall in the day. It works well for us. Good luck with getting the school to agree.

~ Mel ~

Hope you find the school supportive with this suggested arrangement. My son was signed off sick by our GP last Oct and has not gone back since, the school were not too happy with a GP certificate they wanted a consultant one !!!

Clare x x x

the school is a middle school we're on a 3 tier system here! i'm hoping the school are going to be understanding, but of that was the case it wouldn't have come to this. after all like most people on here i expect, i've tried to get help and understanding for my son at school but alas it never happens! j doesn't go off on one when he hits meltdown instead he withdraws, they see this as him coping when if fact its far from it!

can i also say thank you to those who replied i really appreciate it!

Edited by racey

hi good luck with getting the school to understand your sons problems, I hope that it works out well for him.

just to update! the school have forwarded the letter from my doctor to the LEA and its going in front of the board! nobody can explain to me why or what will happen!

i feel utterly amazed that a week on from receiving the letter j is still having to go in full time as if nothings wrong!