not sure there's much of a point to this post beyond looking for a bit of support.

having managed to go home from uni for a week I decided to get ahead and see my home GP to ask for a referral for an in-depth assessment for Asperger Syndrome, as i only have a working diagnosis. i managed to get an appointment for later in the day (a near-miracle at my surgery). i went in and explained that i had a working diagnosis, but needed a more formal one to completely confirm the findings of the psychiatrist. my GP was not impressed. he informed me that Asperger syndrome was 'excuse of the week' and didn't actually exist! he told me that my working diagnosis was given because 'there probably wasn't actually anything to prove it' and that was why it wasn't a full diagnosis. he said that it was just an excuse to explain away naturally occurring excentricities in people, and that was a way to explain away the behaviour of children who 'needed a slap'! i backed off of that and said that the psychiatrist had also said i needed some CBT to reinforce things i'd learned last time i'd had it. my oh so charming GP said i couldn't have any as it only worked for people who 'were going to make an effort to change'.

i am absolutely stunned that this conversation even happened. so i suppose i want to know if anyone else has experienced something like this, or if you have any advice on what i can do now. i am going to try a different doctor at the same surgery to see if that works any better (like maybe admitting that Autism does exist!), but there is only one doctors surgery within a 30 minute drive so moving surgeries isn't an option.

For the sake of any other patient/family with a possible ASD, you've GOT to put in a formal written complaint. His attitude is disgusting and could cause someone/patient/family/parents serious mental stress. I honestly can't believe he said that to you.

Sue

I am so shocked and horrified, this is totalling apauling he should be struck off.

I am sorry you had that expereince and hope you will make a complaint.

Clare x x x

Edited by Clare63

he's usually a good doctor, which is why it surprised me so much. fortunately my mother was with me, and she thinks he was embarassed cos he didn't know much about it and i did, so fired back by dismissing it as nothing. he also didn't talk to me, only adressed my mother. granted she did a lot of the explaining as i tend to start in the middle of sentences and not make much sense, but even so, i was sitting right there! i'm going to wait and see if he actually does anything about the referral i've asked for as i've given him the full address of the place. if he doesn't do anything about that then i'll complain but i do feel bad both ways because if i complain it seems mean on the doctor, and if i dont then i can see it'll just happen to someone else, and its not fair when we all have to fight so much to get these things recognised as it is.

Yes, I have experienced this kind of attitude from the medical profession. I did not go back to a doctor for several years afterwards, as I was too scared. In my case, it was far more underhand, and by the time I realised, I was unable to make a complain as too much time had passed and it was all too difficult to define anyway. I now have some very serious allegations against me on my permanent medical records, and the assurance that they will be used against me in the future.

I really hope you can find the strength to make a formal complaint about this GP. There may be a time limit, so waiting to hear about your referral may not be wise. I don't think you need to be concerned about the Dr's feelings after he has shown so little regard for yours. It's things like this that put people off ever going back to doctors again. It was offensive to you and also suggested that your mother had poor parenting skills. I would suggest you both have grounds for a complaint.

I think it's very serious that your GP is refusing to refer you for treatment that your Psychiatrist has recommended. It might be worth contacting the Psychiatrist to ask him if he can make the referral instead. If nothing else, it would at least alert him to the problem.

I would recommend trying a different GP within the same surgery. Don't wait to hear about your referral, go back as soon as possible. Since your GP's reaction was so hostile, I think you should be entitled to ask whether the referral is going to be made. You could also use the opportunity to ask about the complaints procedure.

You may be able to re-register with a different GP within the same surgery.

Some excellent advice on here, I've nothing to add to that, just wanted to register my disgust that this man is practising medicine when he dismisses a condition which is clearly described in the DSM. I mean, my mother in law, yes, I can understand that :rolleyes: but a doctor???? Good grief.

Definitely complain!!

Also make sure you get access to your medical records to make sure you know what is written on them.

This link details your rights of access:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorgani...ians/DH_4084411

Tally the text below details what you are entitled to do if you disagree with what is written in your medical records and id advise you to do this for the sake of future treatement. It appears worst case you can include a patient statement to set your perspective. Doctors are meant to be fair and professional using facts not opinion. You want all future doctors reading your file to see both sides of the story so they can make thier own opinion of you.

"Amendments to Health Records

Patient records should reflect the observations, judgements and factual

information collected by the contributing health professional. General Medical

Council guidance states that health records should be clear, accurate and

contemporaneous. The Data Protection Act fourth principle also states that

information should be accurate and kept up-to-date and this provides the legal

basis for enforcing corrections when appropriate. However, an opinion or

judgement recorded by a health professional, whether accurate or not should not

be amended subsequently. Retaining relevant information is essential for

understanding the clinical decisions that were made and to audit the quality of

care.

If a patient feels that information recorded on their health record is incorrect then

they should firstly make an informal approach to the health professional

concerned to discuss the situation in an attempt to have the records amended. If

this avenue is unsuccessful then they may pursue a complaint under the NHS

complaints procedure in an attempt to have the information corrected or erased.

They could further complain to the Information Commissioner, who may rule that

any erroneous information is rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed. Further

information can be obtained from the Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water

Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF, telephone number 01625 545700.

If the patient is still not satisfied it is good practice for data controllers to allow

patients to include a statement within their record that they disagree with the

content."

Unfortunately, denial is a common symptom of the condition with which I am diagnosed. Kicking up a fuss and insisting on a statement being included would simply reinforce my diagnosis. I have taken substantial advice on this from a variety of independent sources, and my best option really is to just leave it and hope they forget about it.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Im pretty sure i know what theyve diagnosed you with. (but i wont say it here unless you dont mind) You certainly dont seem to fit that diagnosis from what you write here.

Are you formally diagnosed with AS?? And if so was it a different medical profesional to the Ar*ehole GP?? if so you should be able to go back to the shrink who dx'ed AS as i suspect having the two diagnoses side by side is extremely unlikely in your case.

can i ask what a working dx is please? disgusting doctor by the way

I think it is similar to my provisional diagnosis in that pretty much most people agree but it just needs to be made official.

not sure there's much of a point to this post beyond looking for a bit of support.

having managed to go home from uni for a week I decided to get ahead and see my home GP to ask for a referral for an in-depth assessment for Asperger Syndrome, as i only have a working diagnosis. i managed to get an appointment for later in the day (a near-miracle at my surgery). i went in and explained that i had a working diagnosis, but needed a more formal one to completely confirm the findings of the psychiatrist. my GP was not impressed. he informed me that Asperger syndrome was 'excuse of the week' and didn't actually exist! he told me that my working diagnosis was given because 'there probably wasn't actually anything to prove it' and that was why it wasn't a full diagnosis. he said that it was just an excuse to explain away naturally occurring excentricities in people, and that was a way to explain away the behaviour of children who 'needed a slap'! i backed off of that and said that the psychiatrist had also said i needed some CBT to reinforce things i'd learned last time i'd had it. my oh so charming GP said i couldn't have any as it only worked for people who 'were going to make an effort to change'.

i am absolutely stunned that this conversation even happened. so i suppose i want to know if anyone else has experienced something like this, or if you have any advice on what i can do now. i am going to try a different doctor at the same surgery to see if that works any better (like maybe admitting that Autism does exist!), but there is only one doctors surgery within a 30 minute drive so moving surgeries isn't an option.

I had a similar experience with an arrogant doctor who, when I went with my young daughter (who was later diagnosed with asperger's at 2.5 years) told me to just shut the door and let her cry! I just walked out as at the time I was such a wreck. Luckily, after the diagnosis my mum, an angel in disguise, made an appointment to see this doctor and absolutely blasted him. Ever since he has been nice as pie and at every appointment any of th family has always asks how she is. The doctor has since found Jesus and has left the practice thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :groupwave: It's appalling the way you have been treated do not let them gat away with it. Fight the power! :star: