Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Shocked!

My mum found some old letters from the school and she was reading them to me down the phone. In the late 90s I had anger management, counselling and social skills training! I don't remember social skills training, well not being told what it was anyway, all I remember was a trip to visit the special school. The letter goes on to show concerns about a possible ASD. :o Apparently the letter was unopened. Secondary school is a blur in my memory as my brain was shutdown for the majority of it. But still! I am shocked.

Edited by ScienceGeek

Several of my teachers raised the possibility of autism with my parents, starting from the age of 3. I only found out about that fairly recently. It's kind of hard to understand.

It might be useful evidence when you get assessed for ASD.

... In the late 90s I had anger management, counselling and social skills training! I don't remember social skills training, well not being told what it was anyway, ...

Makes you wonder about the efficiency of that training :lol:;) .

You might think about starting to write your autobiography by now ... ;) .

.... then sue for millions :lol:

seriously though im considering writing to my teacher to see if she remembers much as im not in contact with family so havent got any back up evidence to help confirm my childhood other than my word.

I understand how you feel. I don't have contact with my parents, and a few years ago I sought my hospital records and I could not believe the content. I was never diagnosed, but the symptoms were all there. Answered a lot of questions for me, and helped me accept and understand my children's diagnosis a whole lot more. It was quite a shock for me as well, as my mother would not ever talk to me about it, reading them, it was easy to see why. :tearful:

Anyway, that is one step closer to you getting an adult diagnosis, so that's good news :thumbs:

This is interesting. I was reading my old school reports last year when I was at my mum's and they were very very revealing! I could never understand, looking back, why I did home economics as a choice for my o'levels (them were the days! showing my age!!) and there was a report from when we chose our options and my house head and tutor had made me do home ec because they thought the practical skills would help me as I was always disorganised and in a world of my own!

There were many comments throughout the years to me being 'different' and 'not one of the sheep' etc. Loads of comments how I needed to be more grounded and that I was intelligent but under achieved due to very poor levels of concentration. Also I was extremely disruptive in some classes and 'appeared to be unaware of my own actions' :unsure:

I have to admit it all fits in with my memories of growing up, which are a complete blurr. I don't think I had any self awareness at all. In fact I can almost remember the day I sort of 'woke up' a bit to the world when I was about 24!

I think I got by because I was quite attractive in my teens (not bragging of course, I'm sort of well past it now :lol: but it did help I think!) and was thought of as 'cool' because I could stare people out and obviously made people laugh by being a bit of a clown.

Flozza

Edited by Flora