gothschild

Shoes blues

How do you all manage to get shoes and trainers for you children?

J is incapable of telling me if shoes are comfortable when he tries them on, he just says that they feel different to his current pair, he gets so stressed out that I have to give up.

I know that his trainers are too small and it will be a case of Flintstone feet if I can't get this sorted out soon. What can I do to make this easier for him?

This is a nightmare for us as well. Whenever (and IF ever) we manage to get a pair of shoes on him in the shoe shop, he's so busy kicking and stropping about and going nuts that we have no way of knowing if they fit either really. He has hideously narrow feet and basically, if we can get them on him and they stay on without slipping straight off, then we buy them and worry about it when we get home. He despises ALL new shoes just because they feel different from the ones he's just taken off but usually after a few days (or sometimes weeks) he's got used to them but it's really hard to know if his complaints about them being uncomfortable are legitimate or if it's just that they feel strange and different. We usually try and get the same ones he's taken off just in a bigger size but it's usually not possible so we just have to take pot luck most of the time. I end up feeling quite mean because they could be really uncomfortable and even hurt him but he makes such a fuss about ALL shoes that it's just impossible to tell. :wacko:

~ Mel ~

I get my kids' feet measured so their shoes are fitted by the assistant.

Bid :)

Ditto.....and then they come back to say that they haven't got those shoes in that size!! :wallbash:

No, it is difficult and we are never told that the shoes are getting a bit tight. I remember not so long ago going for a walk and wondering why DD was always so far behind...I turned round to see her hobbling painfully....it emerged that her wellies were at least one size too small.!! What bad parents!!!

Finding shoes that are comfortable and fit, with velcro in adults sizes, that really is a challenge! Most shoes are too loose around the ankles or too narrow in the foot. Finding shoes was such a problem that I ended up wearing shoes that were a couple of sizes too small and have awful painful club toes because of it, now awaiting surgery to break the bones and cut the tendons, will need to have a boot on my foot and crutches because of it. :unsure:

I've tried to get them fitted but Sadie's right they never have the size he needs, he has quite wide feet and is around about a size 6 so we are in adult territory now.

He does not like shoes because he says they are too heavy for him to lift his feet and he does not like boots because they touch his ankles.Trainers seem to be the best footwear for him, but as they are mostly only available from sports shops there is no fitting service.

I'll have to go into a shoe shop with the pretence of buying shoes just to get his feet measured, trainers are all shapes and sizes depending on the brand you go for so it looks like trial and error again!

Sorry to hear about your toes ScienceGeek, they sound so painful.

We got new shoes last week actually, after weeks and weeks of looking. My lad is a C width fitting and they just don't make them in size 5 anything less than an F or, very occasionally, an E. In the end, I found a pair of women's black chunky trainers that are a size 5 and because they're women's they're a D fitting. Luckily Jay has no idea they're women's shoes and you couldn't tell by looking (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :whistle: ), but I think we're going to have to do that from now on because there's just nothing in the kids section that will stay on him. :wallbash:

~ Mel ~

I've given up taking J to shoe shops and niow I get all of his shoes/trainers from the high street shop beginning with N and ending in T!

I order several variations of shoes and they always have some velcro shoes and trainners, and then I keep them at home and over the course of the week whenever it looks like a 'right' moment he trys some on - then i just send back everything that I don't want.

They have some good lightweight leather shoes and trainers and so far they have been our saviour!

Maybe once or twice a year he goes to get feet measured at the shop, just to make sure we're in roughly the right sizing :)

DS doesn't like new shoes at all, but he usually accepts the 'same' shoes one size bigger. We are sometimes unable to find those, though :rolleyes: .

*shudders* brings back horrible memories :ph34r:

Just a positive note to you despairing lot - I took JP to buy proper walking trainers at the w/e, we went to an outdoor stylee shop rather than a sports shop. He walks 4 miles a day to work & back & had worn right through the lining of his trainers to the hard plastic underneath, & had huuuuge blisters (which he didn't complain about)!

Enlisted help of knowledgable assistant & explained his needs, he tried some on, said, they feel quite snug, tried the next size on, they were fine, bought & paid for them himself & is wearing them to work for the first time today! :thumbs:

It does get easier, but I do sympathise, we went through it too. >:D<<'>

i have this problem to with my son, I do take him to get measured every few months but as he is a 6/7 with wide feet it can be hard to get comfy shoes for him. The other month after a very unsuccessful shopping trip for new school shoes (he hates to try them on) I brought some insoles measured them against his feet and cut accordingly,I then went out shopping without my man but instead a copy of his left and right foot! I managed to get him shoes and trainers armed with my insole! Hope this helps? x

I am going to try the cut out feet shapes to see if that helps and I never considered an outdoors shop,the shoes there have got to be comfortable because people trek in them.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions, would never of thought of them myself. :thumbs:

Hurrah we got some! :thumbs:

I took some cut out feet to the shop (got some odd looks) and found an easy to fasten pair of trainers in size 7, he has got them on today, so I'm pretty sure he'll let me know if they are no good. Fingers crossed!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thankyou lots and lots x