Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Routines

So I need to make this decision about routines. I was discussing it with my GP and she reckons it would be better to have a routine and suffer the short term distress when that routine is broken than the constant long term moderate stress of not having one. What do you think? I've held off having any kind of routine that goes beyond my morning routine, I know how bad it can get when set routines are broken. She said that it would help with things the way they are as having a routine is one thing that I can control at the moment where there are a lot of things that are out of my control.

A routine naturally came to me and it's working well. Day is: Get up, drink a coffee, watch news, have breakfast, get dressed, get school stuff ready, pack lunch and then to school, then when I get home it's get changed into "civilian wear", and spend the rest of the day doing nothing, sometimes home work, when I am on the computer I go through a list of all the forums I am on in a certain order and check my emails in a certain order of websites then play a game.

When ever someone destroys my routine I just close my eyes and think ahead for a while before making the next move.

Now that I am going through GCSE's my routine is thrown off slightly, so it's more loose around the school part of the day and homework and revision is a high priority than computers.

Routines are good :P

Edited by xilef

I guess everyone has a routine of some sort, but it's when it's getting upsetting that it's a problem. My therapist has said the opposite thing to your GP :blink: And I'm trying hard to cut out parts of my routine - but it does mean finding a way of coping with the stress that I feel from not doing it.

My morning routine takes 3 and half hours and is very intricate with lots of different counting and movements involved. I hate doing it, it takes so long and I'm exhausted by the time I'm finished, but it's upsetting not to do it. I really want to be able to cut it down though because I'm losing so much time. I guess it depends whether your happy with doing it or not.

Edited by Thompsons

SG - i have a lot of routine in my life, it's what i feel comfortable with.

BUT - saying that, i have a very rebellious streak in me :devil: and (by MY choosing...lol :rolleyes: ) i like to just drop everything and do something totally spontaneous.......

I can do this because 1) it's my choosing..lol...... and 2) i'm quite settled because i have a good routine set in place and it keeps me calm. I have extra 'space' for anxiety a change can bring...... even if it's not something i've chosen to do.

Make sense???! :wacko::D

I'd say, too, that if you have a good number of 'working' routines in your life, you'll have more 'free' capacity to cope with something unexpected. So I'd say that you should follow your GP's advice. Don't be scared of routines.

I always feel so much happier having a routine as long as it goes to plan. I can cope ok with change as long as I get notice and it allows me to work round the routine for the day. For example, today I knew social worker was coming at 12pm. So, I worked it out, children ready for school, my exercise workout, breakfast, shower, phone calls, housework, a light lunch and viola, the social worker turned up bang on 12pm and I finished what I needed to do 2 mins to 12.

BUT if my routine is broken I cannot cope at all. I map out my chores and routine everyday slightly changing depending on plans. If something does not go according to plan, or if someone turns up to the house unexpected, I panic big time. The only way to describe it is, it feels like being dropped in a desert with no map to get home. My mind goes from a straight line to scribbles and I can't think of anything else. If the social worker had turned up even 10 mins early or late, I would have been in a state!

I think a routine is definitely a good thing. Even people who are not autistic often benefit from having routines if they have to get to work at the same time or look after young children. I would definitely go for the routine, and then look for ways to cope when it does not all go to plan.