ScienceGeek

Moving house

We're not moving until September but I was wondering how you prepared to move. The last few moves frazzled my nerves a lot and I wasn't able to function for a while afterwards. I was thinking if I prepared mentally and packing well beforehand that it might make it easier this time. How did you prepare yourselves for a move, especially to a different city.

September isnt that far away, dont under estermate the time line, moving can take months to prepare and I know I wasnt really ready and i dont think I would of been ever, you have to be really ruthless and get rid of things you just do not need anymore, I made a list of all my items, furniture ect,,, like an inventory, I also found a brilliant website that looks at moving because Moving is highly stressful, even when you have moved you still cant find anything, I was searching all afternoon for J painkillers, so try and lable whats in the box.

http://www.relocationexpert.co.uk

Loads of tips for J I did lots of preparing but he was rearing to move.

JsMum

I have moved over two dozen times in my life, from Army brat to now.

Throw out/recycle/Charity shop anything you don't need before you pack. Give things to friends.

Pack your books in wineboxes free from the off license. They are the right size to manage without straining your back.

Label everything clearly, so that you don't have to open eight boxes to find a corkscrew or a towel.

Fragile stuff, label on all sides of the container!

Tape doors and drawers of furniture shut.

Pack as much as you can in advance, stack the boxes and drape them with a colourful throw or blanket, so you are ready and waiting to go.

Make sure you have what you need for the first week separate from the rest, so that you don't need to unpack everything in the first 48 hours.

Remember that takeaways count as food when you are too tired to cook.

and...

Throw away any boxes unopened after the first three years after you've moved. Whatever was in there you don't need!

Throw away any boxes unopened after the first three years after you've moved. Whatever was in there you don't need!

Does that reset every time you move? :unsure: I've never been in one place that long. Two weeks ago I have officially been were I am the longest I have ever been anywhere in my life. Stupidly, I'm finding being settled unsettling :wacko:

The best move I did I had no awareness of!!!! Whacked my head, went into a coma, moved house, woke up ... :rolleyes: OK, so others moved my stuff for me and I then had to put everything where it should be, but that's certainly one way of doing it!!! :lol: :lol:

Mumble your post just reminded me of my last move.

My daughter two days before was taken into hospital with suspected meningitis, turns out it was just a viral infection but she was in hossy for 5 days, dad who usualy worked away from home had to take care of many of the things, in between me rushing around.

If I or the children were to fall ill this time I wouldn't end up moving so I need to stay strong but it's a gd idea, lol

Bard I like your suggetsions/advice especially the take away one, lol >:D<<'>

Don't do what Mr pearl's sister did. She sold her house & was moving 50 miles away. Enlisted the help of me & my 2CV with the back seats removed. I arrived expecting to load boxes ....

She had done nothing. Rien. Nada. Books were still on bookshelves, ornaments on the mantelpiece. She hadn't even procured any boxes. And we had a day to move her out. I have never been so cross in my life. But we did it.

20 years down the line I reminded her of this recently, & do you know she had completely forgotten about it. WELL I HADN'T!!!!!!!!

So just do the exact opposite of that & you'll be ok.

make a routine out of it

I got all the boxes and everything in one session then just had a few days of repititive box filling, one after the other till i was knackered.

Same with box moving!! repitition is key :lol:

Just the thought of moving house makes me start to panic :tearful: I really don't know how I'd cope with it! I don't really have any advice as it pains me to think about it, lol, but good luck with your move! :)

I have moved loads of times and the advice that someone gave if you dont use it in the frist 3 years you dont need it is great advice .we put stuff in a outhouse the day we moved in and havent used it since and weve been here 10 years come next january so i think i better put into practice what they have said plus the lads are 10 years older and its mainly toys and stuff so on a nice day out it all goes be it to the tip or the charity shop.My sister when she moved she was really ruthless anything she didnt need she got rid of i tend to keep stuff for sentimental value.i was in the cupboard in my room last night and theres two typewriters in there one that my parents bought me for xmas when i was 13 and an electric one my son and his friend bought me for my 40th birthday but with computers do i really need to keep them yes lol see sentimental value

Just unpack EVERYTHING the day you move in :lol: Then you have to at least put it in its place!!!

I do that and then often dont sleep till its all in the right place. even if thats 4-5am. If its not right i cant sleep even if bed is empty of stuff.

Just unpack EVERYTHING the day you move in :lol: Then you have to at least put it in its place!!!

I do that and then often dont sleep till its all in the right place. even if thats 4-5am. If its not right i cant sleep even if bed is empty of stuff.

I do that too. The last three moves our boxes have been unpacked within the first 24hrs. I can't sleep until it is done. We've been in our current flat for almost 3 years which is the longest we've stayed anywhere. In the 18 months before that we moved 4 times!!

I will have to move soon as well, only to a different dorm, about 100m away, but even though it is less thant a month, they have not yet told me what room I will be in. It is a bit late for my taste. I hope I will at least have a couple of days to move...