lorryw

feeling badly let down by NAS

As many of you may know,I have a 22 year old son with severe autism and learning difficulties. He left school almost 4 years ago and we have fought for him to have an autistic specific day service. After a huge battle we manage to find him a place at an NAS day service. We were delighted and felt that all the years of misunderstanding and failure to understand his condition were at an end.

We have just been told that his service has been cancelled for the forthcoming future as of tomorrow. He has (according to his review a few weeks ago) done very well and is settling in. He had a blip this week and they requested he should come home early (the service is out of County and he has to travel 40+ miles) We are distraught that the NAS with all the high profile "I Exist" campaign cannot cope with our son. At his assessment we were told"oh, hes just a pussycat, we have had far, far worse than him" I thought they were the holy grail of service providers and have no idea where we should go next for help. Hubby and I just dont know where to turn.

Oh Lorry I am so sorry to hear this, no wonder you feel so let down, can not you challenge the decision, it certainly does not seem very fair.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

oh lorry ......what reason have they given :tearful: .............this is unbelievable I,m so sorry.I wonder if you went public if it would help and get the NAS to uphold their "policies" :tearful: ...........best wishes suzex

Sounds like you've got a fight on your hands, not least of all due to the short notice. - do the NAS, or the actual service provider, have a complaints procedure? Might it be worth going to your ward councellor/MP/local paper?

Hi Lorry >:D<<'>

Really sorry to hear this. Not much consolation, probably, but my brother went through several services - I think it's worse though when they appear to be settled. It would be worth knowing exactly what the issue is as this would help you when/if you have to approach other service providers. With my brother it was extreme violence (and he tall and quite heavy and used his weight) when anything, and I mean anything, didn't go to plan, happen when it was supposed to etc. The staff simply couldn't 'contain' him to ensure his safety, their safety, or the safety of other 'clients' (sorry - really hate that word!).

It was a bit different for my brother in that he went to a day service from his residential service, so if it went wrong, residential had to have him in their service which put an impetus on finding another placement (he's now in an all in one which is much better).

One day service I know that was good for him and he actually went to without too much fuss was run by the Leonard Cheshire Foundation. From their website it looks to be for more able 'clients' but his seemed to cater for a range - maybe worth giving them a call and seeing if they at least have any advice? I don't know how placements work from a home rather than residential setting?

As to the NAS, well I has a horrendous time with them in my first proper encounter (see thread on 101 ways to murder a mentor ...) and thought they were utterly useless, wondered how they could have things like "I exist" alongside the way their employee treated me etc. Very recently, however, I have had to make use of their services again, a different employee this time, and so far I cannot praise them enough - I can't say much about it as I'm in the middle of a 'case' - but I would say, I have changed my opinions. It seems to me to be as much about who you get as the charity itself - I've found this even with their helpline - I've contacted their email line 3 times - twice I have had fantastic information, really helpful, once I was given the most derogatory, horrible, down-putting response accompanied by a leaflet on how to make friends (with phrases to use!) I have ever had. It shouldn't be random like this, and hopefully it will change. I really hope that you can find a solution that works for both of you. >:D<<'>

Sounds horrific, how can they expect a autistic man to cope with this sort of upheaval? What are your options? suppose you could either appeal, perhaps taking it higher? or look for an alternative? Either way, I wish you tons of luck

Not very happy to see this happening, despite knowing it may happen on occasion.

>:D<<'>

I hope there can be a resolution to this matter.