Sign in to follow this  
julie1

accused of failing sats on purpose

we decided to go to tribunal to sort out our dd statement, and change parts 2, 3, 4. but when the school found out they have taken it very personally. I have told them several times that i feel there school is a good school, they just dont seem to understand my dd problems. She has servere speach and language difficulties with all her levels on the 1st centile. However it was agreed that she would sit her sats with the other children this year. I have been told that she struggled with her english comp test and only answered questions on every other page on purpose. I have asked my dd about this, she said that she didnt know the answers to most of the questions but tried to answer some of them and was then sent back to answer some more but she did not know what to write. I have been given my dd end of year report and it says that dd has gone from a level 2a to a 4c in one year i do not feel this can be so and this score was given because of her pending tribunal. un fortunatly all evidence has to be in by june so we will not have her sat results by then. So i dont think they can be included. And the school are so wrong my dd did her best to do well, and as ive told the school we dont even know yet how she has done. I say shame on the school for thinking so little of my dd she is a good girl who would not even understand how to fail an exam as that is not what she has been taught.

I have been told that she struggled with her english comp test and only answered questions on every other page on purpose. I have asked my dd about this, she said that she didnt know the answers to most of the questions but tried to answer some of them and was then sent back to answer some more but she did not know what to write.

Did she write on the right hand pages only? If she was stressed, she might not even have registered that there was information on the LHS.

Two of my SEN children do this on occasion, and they ignore LHS pages in their own maths/literacy books sometimes as well.

because of her pending tribunal. un fortunatly all evidence has to be in by june so we will not have her sat results by then. So i dont think they can be included.

Late evidence is very easily allowed if it was not available prior to the deadline. So there should be no problem with allowing her SATs results for your hearing. In fact the panel will want to know her latest results so as long as you submit them to SENDIST and to the LEA as soon as you have them they will be allowed as late evidence.

Flora

do i tell them when i send in my evidence that the sat results are to come after or do i just send the results when we get them. Also the school want to tell dd if she passed or not ive asked them only 2 tell her if she has a 3 or above or she will be very upset about not getting a 4. i was not going to tell her the truth IF she failed. they said they will if i dont is that allowed.

do i tell them when i send in my evidence that the sat results are to come after or do i just send the results when we get them. Also the school want to tell dd if she passed or not ive asked them only 2 tell her if she has a 3 or above or she will be very upset about not getting a 4. i was not going to tell her the truth IF she failed. they said they will if i dont is that allowed.

When you send in your case statement you could add a note to say that you will forward the SATs results as soon as you receive them.

I don't know about whether they are allowed to tell your dd or not if it's against your wishes. I suppose the wisdom of telling or withholding information will depend on how aware and involved she is in discussions about her education.

Flora

today on my daughters first day back she was made to sit yet more tests. English and Maths i feel they are trying to prove a point that she has tryed to fail her sats. All this just to upset the school i dont think so. I dont no if im angry at the school or angry at myself for letting my daughter continue at the school. I have payed a private speech and language theapist to do an assessment on my daughter, and her results were the same as the NHS thearpist so unless my daughter was able to fool them both or she has a servere speech and language disorder. all her results were on the 1st centile around the age of a 4/5 year old, she is allmost 11 . The school will not belive this as she can talk there for there must have been a mistake with the tests. So now my daughter is being made out to fail her sats rather than the school lose face. I dont no what to do any more for the best. We are going to tribunal in september to try and sprt the whole thing out, but what do i do until then.

just a quick question when does key stage three start, its just that when working out costs the LEA worked it out saying my dd was key stage two but in sept she will be in yr 7. the tribunal is not until oct now.

KS2 is until the end of year 6.

KS3 is from the beginning of year 7 to the end of year 9

KS4 is year 10 and 11.

Hi, I hope that you get the provision that you are seeking. We were in a similar position that the school was trying to undermine what we were saying despite independent evidence and we did win at tribunal. So good luck.

I have to say that I don't think that the school should be talking about "failing" the sats. Its not about a pass or fail just trying to establish the level that the child is at. A child should not be made to feel a "failure" because of the sats results.

Good luck