Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Direct payments

Hi, HV came round for a chat today so I could offload about everything and she mentioned respite possability for the future,and said maybe someone could get to know ds and take him out one afternoon evey so often. I explained that I would be worried that ds could become attached and they might leave etc etc and she said she thought she had heard of Direct payments where I could choose a friend of family to do it and they would recieve a payment so It could be an official arrangement so you don't feel youre putting on someone and it could be a regular thing.

Not sure it is right for me at moment but realise there might come a time....

Anyone heard of this?

You can find more info about Direct Payments here: Direct Payments!

We have finally just got the go ahead for 10 hours a week help and the money is supposed to be hitting the bank account soon!! It has taken a long time to get it all going, they began the process over 2 years ago and for the time being we have been told we will only get the DPs for 2 months on a trial basis. :wallbash:

We get �10.09 per hour and we are organising national insurance and public liability insurance etc. and employing our ds2's old keyworker from his respite care home to come and help us with the madness we call bedtime.

They seem to work for people who can find someone who is prepared to stick at it and provide consistency for the child, but I have heard of several people having real problems finding the carers in the first place.

Good luck with it all.

Nikki.

I get direct payments for Nick, we get 6 hours a week, it is great as l can employ family members to take Nick out. Any child who recieves DLA is entitled to this, your social worker should be able to help

We do not meet the criteria and the dd have been on hold for over a year now, Ive requested the new criteria and its been printed, J recieves DLA and he doesnt meet the criteria.

He recieves home support 3 times a week, recently reduced from 5 times a week.

as from friday its stopped because there is no more funding available, getting home support will now be throw the Disability Childrens Team and again J does not meet the criteria, we have gone throw the whole complaints and still nothing has changed, as from next monday we wont be getting any more support.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

I cant get a social worker! so cant get any help, I find it unbelievable as any one who has been reading my posts will know my son is violent, aggressive and unpredictable, he is also loving and funny and wonderful :thumbs: but just to have a bit of help, once a month even, just so I could give the others a bit of attention, what on earth do I have to do to actually get any help! Enid

Edited by Enid

I cant get a social worker! so cant get any help, I find it unbelievable as any one who has been reading my posts will know my son is violent, aggressive and unpredictable, he is also loving and funny and wonderful :thumbs: but just to have a bit of help, once a month even, just so I could give the others a bit of attention, what on earth do I have to do to actually get any help! Enid

I was told if I hit my child and left a mark that was noticed at school, it might help.

I didn't try it out though.

It doesn't count if the child hits you.

I was told if I hit my child and left a mark that was noticed at school, it might help.

I didn't try it out though.

It doesn't count if the child hits you.

I think what they was trying to say is that they have money in the pot to take your child off you and place into a fosterparent because your abusing your child, but they have not got any funding to prevent the situation or reduce the crisis, its all wrong.

JsMum

I find it really bad that you all seem to have trouble getting direct payments. Two years ago a member of the direct payments team came to our local AS support group and was practally giving the money away!!! He said if we were in reciept of DLA and needed support,contact your local SS and you will get it. A few of us did this and recieved direct payments very easily.Jsmum, you poor thing having your support withdrawn, have you tried complaining in writing to the head of SS in your area? l did this when they tried to withdraw my social worker, and one was given back very quickly!! Or you could complain to your MP, direct payments are for people like us who need support it makes me so mad, why do we have to fight for everything :wallbash::wallbash:

We've been getting direct payments since October now and its working really well. We employed someone that works in his school and she comes round one night a week, and she'll also do any other times we want, and comes along on days out in the holidays etc so I can concentrate on my daughter. We can also use it for ad hoc babysitting and even used it for an overnight once!

Its great.

Lynne

i called my local Direct Payment people/ office of SS, I cant tell you how cagey and secretive they were. It was how have you got this number, who gave you it. Why did they give it to you ....

I couldnt beleive my ears. She kept saying what is it you are looking for exactly ? I was like look missy, ive been given this number as where i need to start to pursue direct payments. My son gets DLA and his therapist said to look into Direct paymets because i have not one iota of help and im struggling.. and i got an email telling me this was the number i needed

The people I rang were awful ...eventually after giving the woman who answered a piece of my mind her tune changed and it was the right departement, I had to ask for a carers assessment and childs assessment...but ive not heard a word since ....what a system ...i really feel so passionatly for everyone that is getting doors slammed in their faces..everywhere they turn

:tearful: