ScienceGeek

Disabled bus pass

Anyone on here applied for a disabled bus pass? Apparently I can apply for one either because of receipt of high rate mobility DLA (which I won't get) or if the DVLA say that I'm not fit to drive. I'm thinking that the DVLA would probably turn me down for a license, I would be an absolute nightmare on the road. I have no spatial awareness, can't process traffic well enough and have problems crossing roads without almost getting run over. Also I lose awareness of what is going on around me so the combination of that plus the above would be disastrous. A friend of mine got denied by the DVLA last year for the same reasons and got a freedom pass that way (he lives in London). I was thinking if I put in an application for a provisional license now then by the time I move to Bristol I could apply for the bus pass when we move. Good idea?

JP has one. He gets lower rate DLA. All we needed was a letter from his GP confirming that he has accessed "disability services" which is gloriously vague, & cos he used to have speech therapy she regarded that as enough.

He had to reapply recently when all the boundaries changed, & I photocopied the old letter we'd originally used, no problem :thumbs:

Go for it, you can try & get from one end of the country to the other for free on public transport! :thumbs:

Based on my reading of this I don't think I'm eligible.

It varies on area slightly for the criteria.

as it stands, in Leicester I am eligible for one and I might get one, why i didn't sooner I do not know, I find it quite handy when i have one of my bad days where nothing makes sense and I have zero percent awareness of any kind, which leaves me in a similar position to you SG.

I should be fine getting a driving license, I can't see me getting denied one, and many people have said that to me including a former driving instructor (who is sadly no longer with us, he was a good friend).

i will most likely get one for convenience sake.... also the idiots in Leicester have put bus fares up again..... grr...

To apply for a "English National bus pass for disabled person" you have to have a significant physical disability, get high rate mobility DLA, need day to day care from a designated carer or be unfit to hold a driving licence. This is taken from the application form on own councils web site.

i have one because i applied by showing my blue card that says i am registered as a disabled person, under social services

You qualify if you have high DLA

Have some sort of mobility problem which need medical notes for

Visually impaired

A person registered as disabled through the council

over 60's

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Publictransport/BusAndCoachTravel/DG_10036264

These bus passe's came out because of Our conference for people with LD and after we discussed and suggesting one it came out that quick in few months i were shocked..

Edited by Special_talent123

the bus pass i got can use all over england except certain buses in london, and its going to stop on national express due to funding cuts

You used to be able to get discounts if you had a disabled bus pass but now we have to stick with 'funfares'.

Apparently you cant be learning disabled and have a driving licence? According to my housing scheme i am

learning disabled but my driving licence would prevent me getting the bus pass.

to get on a coach (national express)- due to funding cuts u have to apply for a yearly disabled card at £10 and u need prove on you such as your concessionary bus, DLA and all that http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/Offers/disabled-coachcards.aspx

Edited by Special_talent123

I'm hoping to get a bus pass once my blue badge gets approved.