Zosmum

Hi All new to this

Hi All, I'm new to this but here goes. I have a 12 year old daughter with ASD, ADHD,Dyspraxia and learning difficulties and a very patient 5 year old daughter who so far shows no signs of anything (except a bit of copycat behaviour and a few bruises from her sister). Does anyone have any advise on cutting out gluten and casein from my dd's diet and does it actually do anything to help? :wallbash:

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Some people find that cutting out gluten and casein makes a huge difference, while others notice no difference. There are urine tests which can indicate a problem, but the only way to be sure is to try it.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Some people find that cutting out gluten and casein makes a huge difference, while others notice no difference. There are urine tests which can indicate a problem, but the only way to be sure is to try it.

Thanks Tally. We're getting desperate and willing to try anything :tearful:

Hi Zosmum,

Welcome to the forum :)

I don't know much about diet but there are plenty here who can give you some useful advice. If you browse the medication/diet board you'll find some tips. Feel free to start a topic of your own there and ask your question again.

K x

Hello zosmum & welcome. :) Dont know anything about diet I'm afraid, JP eats anything except chips, mayo & raw cheese, & we've never noticed anything giving him problems, but lots of peeps on here are v knowledgeable.

Hi Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello Zosmum, welcome to the site. My son who is 14 with ASD has a bowel disorder as well and was tested by the autism research team and they said a gluten free diet my benefit so I asked his dietian who said there was no real proof so I decided against it due to it causing a big change in his diet which is limited already and the children who it seems to benefit are much younger.

Hi welcome, I have cut out all the known foods that agrivate Js behaviour, so caffine, is the biggest, as it stimulates the body, so increases the sensitivity to noise, smells ect but calmed his ADHD, amazingly, but he doesnt have this now except in his chocolate allowance, I know a lot of fizzy drinks set J off, especially Iron Brew and Dr Pepper, after he rampaged for over 6 hrs I didnt let him have it again and he now has begun to actually realise which drinks he can and cannot have, the one real danger ingrediant is the sweetener, Aspartamane, it sets J off if he has it high doses, and I asure you its in thousands of products, so that is easily done, for us we havent cut other items out as J already has severe food sensitive, and food aviodance and the first thing that is effected if he is anxious is he looses his apitite and doesnt eat for days, and I mean until he drops, so we have done a lot of work on anxiety too, as this has helped ensure he has an apitite in the beginning.

I would maybe look into the urine sample and do some food diarys before you try it, noting behaviour and moods, then when you do the withdrawal you have something to compare then after a few months bring the foods back in to the diet and see if there is any change.

Good luck, hope it works, and a big warm welcome here.

JsMUM

Thanks Jsmum. I have already cut out aspatame, if Z has anything with it in she goes up like a firework and then it's just waiting for her to come back down,which can take hours. She thankfully doesn't have many food issues as she eats when she's stressed or anxious and we have to be real careful what's in the house as she will completely empty the cupboards ad the fridge. She says that you buy food to eat so she's eating it. The only time she didn't eat was when she was on 54mg Concerta. Didn't help the behaviour but stopped the eating thing :eat1: We've also cut out Sodium Benzoate, a preservative, and most artificial colours especially red

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this on here but I have a book by the autism research unit in Sunderland called 'Autism as a metabolic disorder:Guidlines for gluten and casein free dietary intervention.

once we looked into it though it is a very difficult diet to stick to.

I also have a book about the 'LCP' solution which explains how long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids can reduce symptoms of ADHD, Dyslexia, and dyspraxia. Basically these are a type of fish oil but a specific type, so some on the market may not have an effect.

We tried our son on Eye q which did help his concentration some, but eventually we decided we could no longer afford them.

It's a jungle out there and very difficult to know what to do for the best. We now concentrate on all as a family eating only natural foods - rice, pasta, fresh veg, fruit, meat fish and home-made bread. and yes ok the occasional bag of crisps or bar of chocolate, and I think it has had the most positive effect on all of us.

sorry if this is confusing

Mummy x

We now concentrate on all as a family eating only natural foods - rice, pasta, fresh veg, fruit, meat fish and home-made bread. and yes ok the occasional bag of crisps or bar of chocolate, and I think it has had the most positive effect on all of us.

sorry if this is confusing

Its not confusing, at all, we have done this too, and I always say to lots of friends the best thing to do with food is go back to basics and do your own ingredients, just letting you know it is excellent advice.

JsMum