Sign in to follow this  
anniebean

teeth brushing

arghhhh!

we r having big problems with getting L to brush his teeth at the moment!

It is definetly a sensory problem. He does not brush them well at all cos he says if he brushes hard it makes him feel sick and he hates the feel of the brush on his teeth. The bigger problem now is that he has just had a permanent brace fitted and the orthodontist has said that he needs to brush better than he has been cos other wise he will start getting holes in his teeth. Now teeth brushing has become a big stress! Every morning and evening he screams and cries cos i make him brush harder. Just dont know what to do to make it easier 4 him! Anyone elses kiddies have problems with teeth brushing and how do u handle it?

yes we have this problem due to sensory issues,,,he will start brushing then has to spit constantly to get the taste of toothpaste from his mouth,i have to then take over and physically brush them for him,,,,,,, he does not like brushing the inside of his teeth iykwim,,,,,,it is a fuss but we get it done eventually,,,,,,he lets me do it as it is over quicker,,,,,,,,

huge problem for us, have tried everything

at mo we re using a baby toothbrush(bristles) are softer and sensodyne enamel toothpaste, we ve tried everything- from musical brushes, to mouthwashes, egg timers

its the taste of paste, and bristles

Lisa xx

Yeah my lad hates it bigtime will do all he can to get out of doing his teeth. He uses a toothbrush for 1st teeth cos the ones for 2nd teeth make him gag-he says that doing his teeth makes him feel sick and feels horrible.

what he says is the brush feels nasty? and the toothpaste is too slimy,,, we had to buy new ones cos he hid the brush and toothpaste last week and i still aint found it????? was the other way with the eldest boy cos he used to eat it by the tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I'm having big problems with my son brushing his teeth. Turns out he has something called enamel hypoplasia whereby the enamel hasn't formed properly on his baby teeth and new teeth. He's 6.5 and I've bought him goodness knows how many toothbrushes in power rangers, dr who, wall-e, etc. Took him to the dentist last week and poor woman couldn't get near him. In the end he's going to have be referred to the hospital and have a general. I'd had a discussion with her and advised her that brushing is a big problem and that I was giving him formulated mouthwash for baby teeth, sugar-free chewing gum and encouraging him to rub toothpaste on his teeth with either a flannel or his finger. She endorsed this. Also had chat with OT who advised that because it's sensory, might be an idea to get him to crunch ice cubes prior to cleaning his teeth. R hasn't done this yet, but I'll try him with it and see how it goes.

C.

ok i had this problem

i brought a breath tester from argos shows a happy or sad face, simply blow into it when it shows a sad face i say to dd better brush your teeth and it worked!!!

Only problem she got obsessed with this and brushed her teeth so hard she just got over her 2nd abcess.

But at least it started the process for brushing

I still think its reduced under novelty gifts 3.99

As I am new to this forum - im scouring all the relevant posts on here and have to add to this post! Im at the end of my tether with the toothbrushing story. We have tried every toothpaste on the market and even thought my daughter is 12 she has now resorted to a baby toothpaste (blueberry flavour) with baby toothbrush. The mere thought of me asking her to brush her teeth sends shivers down my spine because i know the eruption that will explode when i tell her to do it. She has got into a routine of doing it now however I am not that sure that she actually does it because she always wants to do it in private and i am not allowed to look. If i dare ask if she has done it or ask to see if she has done it properly - she screams and goes completely mad at me. I can tell by the state of her teeth that she isnt brushing properly and even though i tell her she will end up at the dentist having to have them out - she says she doesnt care and not bothered that she will have to go to the dentist. (She must have a short memory as she is doctor/needle phobic!!) If only she realised!!! I have to say that i have completely given up on it now. I do check her brush in a morning and after bath time and it is wet but i doubt she uses the toothpaste. Im just dreading the day those fatal words come..."Mum, my tooth is sore" because lets face it - NO ONE likes toothache!! any tips out there to get the message across? Its the outburst i cant cope with.