Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

SATS - what a shambles!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7499850.stm

My son got his year 6 SATs results on Thursday - and they are OK, thank goodness, he achieved what what was predicted. But what a mess! Normally I'd just shrug my shoulders at what is yet one more government c**k up, but this really makes me angry. Most of these children and teachers have worked really hard for these, sometimes suffering a lot of stress in the process, and they've been badly let down. SATs already have a bad press, and this situation will only cause more parents and teachers to lose faith in the whole system, in my opinion. :wacko:

K x

Hi Kathryn

Totally agree. I had a chat with Ben's HT (or ex HT now as he left primary today.... when does your son leave K? I was a bit :tearful: ).

They only just got the results this week, and the HT was telling me that 9 children were failed as reaching the level they achieved in the teacher assessments.... The HT said that 5 of them were only 1 mark away from the next level and this year there will apparently be no remarks!

Ben got exactly what he was predicted to get, but I really feel for the kids who were hoping for a 4 or 5 and got one level below that. Some of them were really upset.

That's what happens when you tender something out to the americans :huh: (sorry any americans here... Only kidding really...ish)

Flora

O has got 3 more days - they finish on Wednesday.

I may be wrong but I think the markers themselves were from the UK. Still - it doesn't make sense to me to hand over assessment to a foreign organisation. I've nothing against Americans either, but I would have thought a thorough knowledge of the UK education system and culture was an important prerequisite for the job of assessing UK children?

K x

My eldest has just had his SATS results (Yr 6) as well. Although i am pleased with his results it does make me wonder about whether the results are worth the paper they are written on :whistle:

I find it a bit pointless myself, Sue, especially at this level. My son has a very experienced teacher who knows him well and understands his strengths and weaknesses. She's quite capable of assessing the level he's working at - why should her judgement have to be endorsed by an external agency? The Sats results told us nothing we didn't know already.

K x

j only did his science one and got higher than anyone including the school thought he would makes me think if it was marked correctly :huh:

j only did his science one and got higher than anyone including the school thought he would makes me think if it was marked correctly :huh:

Don't worry, it's the writing SATS that are the real c*ck up, they're the trickiest to mark and with the highest level of possible interpretation/misinterpretation by the marker.

Science and maths are much more clear-cut, and so I'm sure your lad got what he deserved.