CEJesson

Barry George has Asperger's

It may have been known for some time but I myself have only just read that Barry George has Asperger's Syndrome. I dread to think what the media will come up with now in their mass wave of stories on this miscarriage of justice. Asperger's is portrayed dreadfully by the papers, so far the Times has been really scathing of this story but has not included sections on autism.

Woops sorry for the really bad typo in the title :o

Yes I heard this a long time ago but the media dont seem to be making much of it. Far better that he is AS & wrongly convicted than AS & a murderer though. I dont think he did himself any favours by saying he couldnt have killed her as he was stalking someone else at the time! But to him I suppose that would seem logical.

It may have been known for some time but I myself have only just read that Barry George has Asperger's Syndrome. I dread to think what the media will come up with now in their mass wave of stories on this miscarriage of justice. Asperger's is portrayed dreadfully by the papers, so far the Times has been really scathing of this story but has not included sections on autism.

The Times has had several articles on autism and Aspergers over the last year, and most of them have been on the perceptive and well-informed side of journalism. I agree that some of the stories in the Tabloids have been actively hostile when writing about Aspergers, especially when linking it to anti-social behaviour and unpredictable violence.

Title fixed :)

I had heard that Barry George has learning difficulties, because this was part of his defence - that he cannot make a sandwich, let alone plan and execute a murder. I didn't know it was AS though.

At least it has come up now that he has been cleared, rather than another autistic getting convicted of a violent crime.

This is just what us Aspies need right now - yet another 'example' that the public can identify us with.

While he has been cleared of killing Jill Dando, the fact that AS is now being linked with a man who openly admits to stalking women and has a low IQ and learning difficulties (as every news report seems to go to great odds to point out) certainly isn't the kind of coverage that we need. Sadly for every one positive article about AS, there seems to be 100 sensational ]negative articles, and which are more likely to not only get attention (what type of headline looks better on the front page of a paper? 'Aspie killer strikes again' or 'AS Is A Neurological Developmental Disorder That...') b ut are more likely to stick in the public's minds.

What really [insert VERY rude word here]'s me off is that this kind of information serves no practical purpose. Yes he may have been diagnosed with AS but does that in any way add anything to the story or the reporting? Did they include his shoe size or which is his favourite ice cream? No, but they have about as much relevance to the story as the fact that he happens to fall on the autistic spectrum. AS is a buzz-word at the moment and the media (not just the press but all arms of the media) just love to feed on buzz-words, regardless of the impact it has.

Oh no, hang on, I seem to have forgotten AS rule no.7 - "Thou shalt stop being a member of society and instantly be associated with violent crime refardless of everything else. To help 'good' people in recognising thine AS, thoust shall be required to carry half a brick at all times"

[TheNeil now slinks off into night spitting bile and vitriolic comments, swearing at anything and everything and dusting off his 'AS brick' in readiness to club some poor innocent member of the public to death :angry: ]

Reading through some bits written - i very much hope that the police get a swift kick up the backside.

They clearly had no clue about language difficulties some people with AS have, the 'stalking of the other woman' was actually Barry talking to different woman (not just the one) as he was out. He didn't pick up on their subtle clues, didn't realise they didn't want to speak to him. He was told this was 'stalking' by the police - so that's what he called it - the newspapers love a good story eh??? ................it goes on and on.

Everything crossed that they don't jump on the bandwagon. Would be fantastic to have some good and accurate explanations of AS in the media.

Unfortunately - that's not nearly as exiting as 'AS/learning difficulties/whatever difficulties mass-murdering-weirdo'................

Exactly. I didnt realise that, smiley. It was stated quite baldly on the news that he had said he was stalking someone else. Reading your explanation, it makes sense why he said that. Depressing, isnt it?

Smiley, I picked up on that, he said he thought it was ok that he was talking and walking next to her/them as she/they didnt say it, wasnt! it does make me scared for the future, as my lad could be like that :tearful: I really hope the media dont jump on the bandwagon, I remember that case of Rosie May, the little 10 yr old, that caused such a stir. Enid

I'm a bit puzzled now, is the AS diagnosis on the web?

I've just been through the Saturday Guardian, the Times , The Observer and the Sunday Times. No mention of AS.

They said:

Cognitive impairment

IQ of 75

epilepsy

panic attacks

complex psychological illness

fantasist

mental health issues

personality disorder

So what sources are you reading that say Aspergers? I'm not doubting, just looking.

I looked a bit further. He is telling people he is Aspergers, including the News of The World. So what needs to be established is whether he has an official ASD dx, or if he's decided it for himself, as he already has complex mental health issues then self-diagnosis may not be very accurate.

Edited by Bard

I saw it on today's ITV News broadcast at around 11.30am/12pm.

I don't read the news of the world, but after looking at this news broadcast I came across that he had AS from the NOTW website and also on the telegraph website.

The issue over AS on tv news/paper news is a personal one for me that I am attached to, because I live in the next village to where that girl Rosie-May-Storrie was murdered by a teenager with AS and the media attacked his condition with more ferociousness than a shark and its dinner.

Firstly, thanks Tally for editing the typo-title!! :)

Thanks Bard for the info - I agree self-diagnosis could be sketchy if this is the case.

Yes it seems the papers havent dug deep with Asperger's negativity in this case, I'll see what tomorrows case brings. Still yesterday's Times was pretty scathing over his potential �1m compensation payout.

Something on the lines of "A Loner, Fantasist, Stalker but not a Killer"

and "Loner could get �1m compensation"

Then the article listed comparable cases financially including the Birmingham Six and Guildford Four, but it failed to mention that these cases were a few years back (Guildford Four was 1989 with a maximum compensation of �400k, so it could be lots more in todays money!)

Not arguing that it isnt a lot of money, it does seem a lot, but Im arguing on the way its written!

So being a loner makes you a criminal and unworthy of compensation when someone has done you wrong? :wallbash: If someone had a physical disability or illness would they blame that for wrongdoings? There are millions of people with ASDs out there who have never broken the law in their lives but they are all marked with the crime of a tiny minority :(

IMO the failures here lie with:

1. the judicial system which has wrongfully condemned a man and ruined his life, and

2. the people who should have been supporting a man with multiple difficulties to live in the community successfully.

Where is the criticism of these two organisations?