Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Cats

So we're currently packing up all our belongings and such for the move. Things are very stressful at the moment. What I was wondering is do you think the cats pick up on this stress? They have both been out of sorts the last couple of weeks, and been incredibly needy, even moreso than usual. Both very snappy and bitey too, unusual for them. :unsure:

So we're currently packing up all our belongings and such for the move. Things are very stressful at the moment. What I was wondering is do you think the cats pick up on this stress? They have both been out of sorts the last couple of weeks, and been incredibly needy, even moreso than usual. Both very snappy and bitey too, unusual for them. :unsure:

Most definitely. My cat hates it if I so much as move the furniture around. It plays havoc with their routine and they just hate change. Cats and dogs do sense if we are feeling stressed or upset and this concerns them greatly after all we are their food source and they like us to be predictable.

Jannih

Cats are creatures of habit who are often easily upset by any change of routine, so they are probably feeling stressed themselves. I know that people joke that cats are autistic, but cats communicate mostly through body language and are very perceptive. Cats who live with humans learn to take their cues from humans, and know that there is something to worry about when they see their humans stressed. They will settle after a week or so in your new place.

Cats are creatures of habit who are often easily upset by any change of routine, so they are probably feeling stressed themselves. I know that people joke that cats are autistic, but cats communicate mostly through body language and are very perceptive. Cats who live with humans learn to take their cues from humans, and know that there is something to worry about when they see their humans stressed. They will settle after a week or so in your new place.

Thanks Tally, I was just a little worried. This is the first time we've moved since we got the cats so they haven't known anything else really. I'm finding the whole situation really stressful myself, routine changes and such. :wacko:

Moving house is one of the most stressful events in any person's life. With autism, it's even more stressful. However, it will be OK once it's all over.

You may already know about this - there's some stuff you can get from the vets which you plug in (like those horrible smelly airfresheners, only it doesn't smell to humans, just sends out some of those cat-calming pheromenes) and will bring your puddy tats instant calm, or something like that. The plug-in lasts for a few weeks. I don't think it has the same effect on humans, sadly.

Our soppy cat had to be put down in November and I'm still pining. It's nice to take part in a cat thread!

Billabong

Our cat is need of a lot of TLC at the moment as my parents visited and they always bring there dog. She is still young just 1year and 4 months.

Poor thing got shut in someones garage for a week as they went away on holiday. She does not go very far these days as a result of that incident.

It is good to have a cat thread. I have learnt a few things from this thread I am going to see I can get some cat calmer from he vet.

thanks

One of my cats has not been seen at home since we decorated the living room last week. I know he's around because the chefs in the pub behind our garden are always feeding him, and they said they fed him red snapper and sirloin steak yesterday afternoon :lol:

My cats hate change and with every change we've ever had they've gone through a radical behaviour and personality change.

Flora

That calming stuff is called Feliway. You can buy it from your vet, but it is not a prescription product and you might get it cheaper on the internet. It can take a few weeks to take effect, so there might be no point in trying it out until after the move. It also comes in a spray, so you could spray it around the new house and see if it helps. Apparently it does not smell to humans, but I found it smells like sweaty cat. It is supposed to smell like cat pheromones, so I suppose it would make sense that it smells of cat sweat.

Diane, do you shut your cat away when your parents visit with their dog? Mine get very upset about visitors and they seem much happier if I shut them away rather than just allow them to run off and hide of their own accord. I think maybe they feel like they are safe because the scary thing is shut out.

I'm sure the cats will be back to normal once you're settled again and life is predictable. We're settling in a new cat at the moment, we've had her for 5 days and she was a bit stressed at first but she's gradually relaxing and getting used to us, and her completely differednt surroundings. I think cats are very adaptable.

K x

My mum was told to put butter under their paws once you move and keep them confined indoors, they lick the paws and then preen themselves all over removing the scent of the old place. Otherwise they may try to wander back to the old house.

Once they lick the butter off and preen themselves after about five days it is safe to let them outdoors again.

My mum was told to put butter under their paws once you move and keep them confined indoors, they lick the paws and then preen themselves all over removing the scent of the old place. Otherwise they may try to wander back to the old house.

Once they lick the butter off and preen themselves after about five days it is safe to let them outdoors again.

We'll have no trouble of them coming back to the old place, we're moving to a different city and up until now they have been indoor cats. Weird, butter on their paws, hmmm.. :huh:

Many people believe the butter on the paws is an old wive's tale, but if your cat sits in the same spot for a few minutes, its scent will absorb into the floor, and then the place will smell more like home. I wouldn't actually recommend it though, as most cats are not that compliant!

I would recommend keeping them in for 3-4 weeks once you move, even more if they are nervous cats. They need to know where home is. If they've been indoor cats up until now, they are unlikely to be upset by this.

We've let the little one have a little explore of the garden and that was enough for him for now. The big scaredy one has mostly been sleeping since he got there. He hid for the first day and wouldn't come out of his carrier, but happy to say that both the cats approve of the new flat. :thumbs:

Glad it's going well.

Normally it's recommended to keep cats indoors for 4 weeks when you move, to give them time to adjust and settle. That amount of time is not always necessary, but I would leave it as long as you can, especially for the nervous cat. It's important they know where to come back to.

Glad it's going well.

Normally it's recommended to keep cats indoors for 4 weeks when you move, to give them time to adjust and settle. That amount of time is not always necessary, but I would leave it as long as you can, especially for the nervous cat. It's important they know where to come back to.

Thanks Tally, we aren't forcing them out or anything. Leaving the backdoor open and supervising them when they do go out. They don't want to go out much anyway because of the rain :lol:

The youngest cat is driving me mad at the moment. He has to be sitting on me constantly the whole time I'm home. If I go to the toilet he follows me and sits there trying to bite and scratch my legs. If he doesn't get the attention he is seeking he gets nasty and is quite forceful with the bites. I'm fed up of being covered in scratches at the moment. It makes me jump if I don't notice him and normally means he gets flung across the room where I swiftly move a limb as an instant reaction (at no time has he got hurt I must add, before anyone thinks I would hurt my cat). :angry:

You need to be very persistent. More persistent than a cat, which is very persistent indeed! Do not reward the behaviour by giving in to him. Do not stroke him or feed him, even if you know that doing these things will stop the aggression. Actually turn your back on him, look away from him when he attacks you. Shut him out of the room for a few minutes every time he goes for you. Don't let him in the bathroom with you - you are vulnerable at this time, and you have a right to protect yourself from being attacked!

However, when he is nice, reward him with food, treats and attention. This will show him the right way to get attention.

He may just be a bit unsettled following the move, but it might be wise to have a vet check him over. If he feels unwell, that could account for his grouchiness. Since you have just moved, you will need to get them registered with a new vet soon anyway.